Thanks. Indeed, the align does the trick. But what is the raison d'être of coupling the behaviour of \\ to the align parameter? I wouldn't have known out but for your reply. Is it something to add to the wiki on framed? (sorry, I am not apt at these things myself, too old ;-). Or can it be done generally? Hans van der Meer On 5 jul. 2012, at 12:29, Wolfgang Schuster wrote: Am 05.07.2012 um 11:01 schrieb Meer, H. van der: Sorry, missed the inclusion of the output of the minimal example. In the ConTeXT manual I see that a construct \framed{A\\B\\C} should type set as three lines below each other: A B C But instead the \\'s disappear without a trace. Did I miss some change on the use of \\'s in \framed? Could it be a sideeffect of recent changes? The \\ is converted to a space as you can see in the output, you have to set a align value to break the input into lines. \starttext \framed[align=middle]{A\\B\\C} \stoptext Wolfgang