* Overlapping terms in description lists
@ 2016-04-20 10:58 Tom Harrop
From: Tom Harrop @ 2016-04-20 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again,

The document I'm typsetting uses description lists. To keep the list
entries close together I'm using before=\nowhitespace and
after=\nowhitespace in \definedescription. This is fine so long as the
term is short, but when the term wraps to two lines it can overlap with
the term below.

Here's an example:

> \setuppapersize[A5]
> \setupalign[flushleft, nothyphenated]
>
> \definedescription[description]
>     [before=\nowhitespace, after=\nowhitespace]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startdescription{Short term:}
>   Items with short terms are fine.
> \stopdescription
>
> \startdescription{This is a really long term:}
>   Long term + short definition
> \stopdescription
>
> \startdescription{This is a really long term:}
>   ... the long term of the item above the mashes into the term below.
> \stopdescription
>
> \stoptext

And here is an attempt at a plain text representation of what I'm trying
to achieve:

> Short term:         Items with short terms are fine.
> This is a really
> long term:          Long term + short definition
> This is a really
> long term:          ... the long term of the item above the mashes
> into the
>                     term below.

Is this possible using \definedescription? I tried some combinations of
\vfill and \framed but I couldn't get it to work.

Sorry to repeatedly post newbie questions. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: Overlapping terms in description lists
@ 2016-04-21 11:18 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2016-04-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Tom Harrop <thomas.harrop@ird.fr> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> The document I'm typsetting uses description lists. To keep the list
> entries close together I'm using before=\nowhitespace and
> after=\nowhitespace in \definedescription. This is fine so long as the term
> is short, but when the term wraps to two lines it can overlap with the term
> below.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> \setuppapersize[A5]
>> \setupalign[flushleft, nothyphenated]
>>
>> \definedescription[description]
>>     [before=\nowhitespace, after=\nowhitespace]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startdescription{Short term:}
>>   Items with short terms are fine.
>> \stopdescription
>>
>> \startdescription{This is a really long term:}
>>   Long term + short definition
>> \stopdescription
>>
>> \startdescription{This is a really long term:}
>>   ... the long term of the item above the mashes into the term below.
>> \stopdescription
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

> And here is an attempt at a plain text representation of what I'm trying
> to achieve:
>
> Short term:         Items with short terms are fine.
>> This is a really
>> long term:          Long term + short definition
>> This is a really
>> long term:          ... the long term of the item above the mashes into
>> the
>>                     term below.
>>

> Is this possible using \definedescription? I tried some combinations of
> \vfill and \framed but I couldn't get it to work.
>
> Sorry to repeatedly post newbie questions. Any tips would be appreciated!

the title is in  a \vtop and not a \vbox, and its height is fixed to
\strutht (and the depth to \strutdp)
so basically the title is one line.

You can try with hand-tuning, ie

\definedescription[description][before=\nowhitespace,
after=\vskip0.25em,width=7\emwidth]
\starttext
\startdescription[title=This is a really long term:]
\crlf
  Long term + short definition
\stopdescription

@ 2016-04-23 14:15   ` Tom Harrop