* For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2014-07-17  0:19 Thomas Floeren
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2014-07-17  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Some months ago I wrote a little AppleScript script with one purpose: It should be a flexible script to launch ConTeXt typesetting, independently of the text editor I’m using and it should be capable to typeset the Product file even if I’m currently editing any component file belonging to that Product file.

I used it for some time, I improved it, and I shared it with a collegue who also works with ConText on OSX. We’re still using it, many bugs have been fixed and some features were added.

The script proved to be very useful for us and I thought, why not share it with the other Mac-ConTeXt people?

So here it is:

https://www.wuala.com/tflo/Scripts/Ctx%20Typeset/?key=75QkpizhdpFS

As already said, the main purpose of the script is to launch the Ctx typesetting process (short: Ctx) on a file.

Regarding the “a file” the script is very configurable and flexible:

A) It can launch Ctx on a file currently opened in your text editor. It works with many text editors (BBEdit, MacVim, TextMate, etc.) as long as the editor is the frontmost process.

B) It can launch Ctx on the parent Product file of the component file currently being edited. Defining a “Product file” can either be done semi-automatically or by hard-definition with two swappable register slots.

C) If no eligible file is opend in an editor it will launch Ctx on the currently selected tex file in the Finder.

The options added in the course of time are:

A) Usage of a ConTeXt-Beta or a ConTeXt-Current installation, swappable
B) Typesetting in the non-interactive shell or in the visible terminal
C) Notifications
D) Selection of PDF viewer (Skim, Preview, Adobe, …)
E) Automatically calling the PDF viewer or not
F) Optionally excluding generated PDFs from TM backup
G) luatex or luajitex
H) Beeps or no beeps, and so on
I) Many other things, explained in the Description

Also some features (“Tools”) have been added:

A) Purging files including generated PDFs
B) Info on the used Ctx version
C) Updating the Ctx Minimal (Beta or/and Current) and archiving the old one
D) Syntax Check
E) Make formats, listing fonts, other, …
F) Some extras added in the Extras folder (synctex with BBEdit etc.)
G) Much more in the Description

Some caveats:

A) It works only on OS X

B) The script is designed to work with 10.9 (Mavericks). It should also work with 10.8 (old notification via 3rdParty is still implemented).

C) Out of the box it works only with the so called “ConTeXt Minimal Installation” (aka ConTeXt Standalone). It won’t work with TeXLive installations or any other kind of excessively screwed-up installations. But you can go into the script to make it work with anything.

D) In order to get access to any text editor the script makes use of GUI scripting: you have to liberate the rights in the corresponding OS preferences. This may sound risky to you but the code is open so you can assure yourself of what the script does.

E) You have to (and you really should!) read the Description that comes with the script.

If you are enjoing the script please share it here, if the script is buggy, or doesn’t work for you at all please let me know too, please.

Thank you
best wishes

--
Thomas

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2014-07-17  9:25 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-17  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/17/2014 2:19 AM, Thomas Floeren wrote:
> [...]
>
> C) Out of the box it works only with the so called “ConTeXt Minimal Installation” (aka ConTeXt Standalone). It won’t work with TeXLive installations or any other kind of excessively screwed-up installations. But you can go into the script to make it work with anything.
>
> D) In order to get access to any text editor the script makes use of GUI scripting: you have to liberate the rights in the corresponding OS preferences. This may sound risky to you but the code is open so you can assure yourself of what the script does.
>
> E) You have to (and you really should!) read the Description that comes with the script.
>
> If you are enjoing the script please share it here, if the script is buggy, or doesn’t work for you at all please let me know too, please.

A nice initiative. Can you put the description online too? So that non
osx users can get the extended description too? Maybe the dmg file can
be put on the garden in <texroot>/context/data/osx or so?

If you need more functionality (in e.g. mtxrun or context) to make
things easier, don't hesitate to ask for it.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-07-17 17:43   ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2014-07-17 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Jul 2014, at 11:25, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> A nice initiative. Can you put the description online too? So that non osx users can get the extended description too? Maybe the dmg file can be put on the garden in <texroot>/context/data/osx or so?
>
> If you need more functionality (in e.g. mtxrun or context) to make things easier, don't hesitate to ask for it.
>
> Hans

Thanks for the feedback. The description is online now, outside of the dmg (same dl link).

Of course we can put the file on the garden. But I’m not familiar at all with the structure of the context garden wiki. Can you give me a hint how to do it?

I don’t know if there are many OSX users interested in the script, but considering the fact that the script has only been used/tested by two people until now, I’m expecting that each additional user will uncover a bagful of bugs. So there should be a quick and easy way to submit fixes…

@ 2014-07-17 18:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-17 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/17/2014 7:43 PM, Thomas Floeren wrote:

> On 17 Jul 2014, at 11:25, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

>> A nice initiative. Can you put the description online too? So that non osx users can get the extended description too? Maybe the dmg file can be put on the garden in <texroot>/context/data/osx or so?
>>
>> If you need more functionality (in e.g. mtxrun or context) to make things easier, don't hesitate to ask for it.
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Thanks for the feedback. The description is online now, outside of the dmg (same dl link).
>

> Of course we can put the file on the garden. But I’m not familiar at all with the structure of the context garden wiki. Can you give me a hint how to do it?
>
> I don’t know if there are many OSX users interested in the script, but considering the fact that the script has only been used/tested by two people until now, I’m expecting that each additional user will uncover a bagful of bugs. So there should be a quick and easy way to submit fixes…

there is a module repository or maybe mojca can add some autofetch

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2014-07-17 20:47 ` Otared Kavian
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2014-07-17 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing your nice script. You have had a very nice intitiative and I am sure it is going to be very useful for many people.

I did some testing of the script, after having edited some parametrers inside the script. For your information, I am running Mac OS X 10.9.4 on a Mac Book Pro.
As a first feedback, I should say that I didn’t know how to create a « service » with an Applescript (shame on me…). Finally I found an application named FastScript which allows to create a shortcut for any Applescript, and then I could run your script on a TeX file. Maybe one could add some indications as to how create a « service » with your script.

Strangely the script gives the expected result the first time it is run on a file from within an application such as TeXShop or Smultron, but the second time I call the script, I get a notification saying that something i sgoing on, but then no PDF is created nor a log file.

However the update part works fine and it is very handy: maybe this part could be made into a small application with XCode, like the application written by Gerben Wierda in order to install a TeX tree some 10 or 15 years ago.

I’ll do some more testing and then let you know.

Thanks again: OK

@ 2014-07-18  0:59   ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2014-07-18  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Jul 2014, at 22:47, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for sharing your nice script. You have had a very nice intitiative and I am sure it is going to be very useful for many people.
>
> I did some testing of the script, after having edited some parametrers inside the script. For your information, I am running Mac OS X 10.9.4 on a Mac Book Pro.
> As a first feedback, I should say that I didn’t know how to create a « service » with an Applescript (shame on me…). Finally I found an application named FastScript which allows to create a shortcut for any Applescript, and then I could run your script on a TeX file. Maybe one could add some indications as to how create a « service » with your script.
>
> Strangely the script gives the expected result the first time it is run on a file from within an application such as TeXShop or Smultron, but the second time I call the script, I get a notification saying that something i sgoing on, but then no PDF is created nor a log file.
>
> However the update part works fine and it is very handy: maybe this part could be made into a small application with XCode, like the application written by Gerben Wierda in order to install a TeX tree some 10 or 15 years ago.
>
> I’ll do some more testing and then let you know.
>
> Thanks again: OK

Hi,

thanks for your feedback!

> after having edited some parametrers inside the script.

Basically there should be no need to edit parameters in the script to make it run (except rare cases like strange ctx install locations). The script for example is (or should be) capable to find the "setuptex" files of your Ctx Minimals automatically on first launch. Most other parameters are configurable from the main options screen, that appears when you launch the script with the ctrl-key down. What was it that you had to edit in the script?

> I am running Mac OS X 10.9.4

That should be fine. Same version here.

> I didn’t know how to create a « service » with an Applescript

No need to do this. In the Extras folder you'll find some premade service workflows to launch the script. In the description I tried to explain how to install the services and how to assign hotkeys ("Installation for usage with hotkey and modifier keys" > "Service workflows"). Did you see this?

The current version of the script has a rather long delay of 0.6 seconds, that means it isn't even necessary to install a service for each modifier key combination. You can launch the script with just your standard hotkey and then (up to 0.6s afterwards) hold down the desired modifier key, if needed. For example you launch the script with cmd-F7 and then you quickly hold down ctrl in order to open the main options screen.

> I get a notification saying that something i sgoing on, but then no PDF is created nor a log file.

What does the notification say?

You can try to pass the typesetting to the terminal (by default is is executed in the non-interactive (non visible) shell). To do this you can either mark the setting in the main options screen ("Run Typesetting in Terminal") or hold down opt-shift while (or quickly after) launching the script. Maybe this way it becomes more obvious what is going wrong.

> However the update part works fine and it is very handy: maybe this part could be made into a small application with Xcode

Well, this is one of the easier parts of the script. It would probably be overkill to rewrite this as Cocoa app, especially because it won't benefit from being native (the time-consuming processes in that part are archiving, download and making formats). However, I just started learning Swift, so maybe it would be a good exercise ;-)

Best wishes

Thomas

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2015-01-18  2:23 ` Thomas Floeren
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-01-18  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Jul 2014, at 2:19, Thomas Floeren wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some months ago I wrote a little AppleScript script with one purpose:
> It should be a flexible script to launch ConTeXt typesetting,
> independently of the text editor I’m using and it should be capable
> to typeset the Product file even if I’m currently editing any
> component file belonging to that Product file.
>
> I used it for some time, I improved it, and I shared it with a
> collegue who also works with ConText on OSX. We’re still using it,
> many bugs have been fixed and some features were added.
>
> The script proved to be very useful for us and I thought, why not
> share it with the other Mac-ConTeXt people?
>

> So here it is: …
> …

The old link won’t work anymore, the script has a new home:
http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/

Of course it works fine with Yosemite :-)

Best wishes
--
Thomas

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-23 16:54 ` Thomas Floeren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-03-23 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Updated (1.2.2).

<http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/>

best,
--
Tom

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-03-29 16:36 ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-03-29 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Updated (1.2.3).

<http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/>

Changes:

1.2.3 (60) (2015-03-29)

Added update switch --modules=all.
Removed the update switch --keep.
When updating ConTeXt first-setup.sh will get updated, too.

1.2.3 (58) (2015-03-28)

Added to the GUI (Tools section): Possibility to quickly remap ConTeXt
directories to the “Beta”/“Current” slots. This should be useful
if you are switching between more than two ConTeXt installations, for
example an old Current, an older (but working) Beta and the latest Beta
from last night. (Formerly you had to rename the ConTeXt folder on disk
in order to force the script to prompt for new locations.)
Slightly changed wording in main window.
Updated and extended the manual.

best,

--
Tom

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2015-03-29 23:36   ` John Haltiwanger
From: John Haltiwanger @ 2015-03-29 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Impressive work!

@ 2015-03-30 18:11     ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-03-30 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Mar 2015, at 1:36, John Haltiwanger wrote:

> Impressive work!

The script has slightly grown in size over time ;-)

--
Thomas

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-09  2:40 ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-04-09  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Updated (1.2.4)

<http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/>

Changes:

1.2.4 (61) (2015-04-09)

Added the option to enforce SyncTeX via command switch
`--synctex=zipped`. This will work also where `\enabledirectives
[system.synctex]` doesn’t work, for example in standalone tex
documents without components or other input files.

Changed the “typesetting started”-notification emoji from U+231A
U+FE0F to U+2615 U+FE0F. (Thank you, Apple, for having converted the
formerly nice Watch emoji into a blemished Apple Watch emoji that
resembles a piece of coal in 12pt.)

For semantic coherence changed the “typesetting finished” emoji from
U+1F3C1 to U+1F37A ;-)

Manual: Added note on auto syntax check in Product Mode.

--

@ 2015-04-09 19:39   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-04-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing your script!
Today I installed the update, but unfortunately now I cannot run it… because of a security message which prevents its execution, saying:

%%%% begin system message

The app has been modified or damaged

The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed <https://help.apple.com/machelp/mac/10.10/index.html?localePath=en.lproj#/mchl41d1260a> code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript or JavaScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless the settings in the General pane Security & Privacy preferences is set to allow apps downloaded from anywhere.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Privacy.

Open the General pane of Security & Privacy preferences for me <x-help-script://com.apple.machelp/scpt/OpnPrefsBndID.scpt?com.apple.preference.security,General>
For more information about protecting your Mac from harmful software, see Protect your Mac from malware <https://help.apple.com/machelp/mac/10.10/index.html?localePath=en.lproj#/mh40596>.

Was this help page useful? Send feedback. <>
 <>
 <>
 <>

%%%% end system message

Have a solution to this?

Best regards: OK

@ 2015-04-09 22:32     ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-04-09 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Apr 2015, at 21:39, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for sharing your script!
> Today I installed the update, but unfortunately now I cannot run it…
> because of a security message which prevents its execution, saying:
>
> %%%% begin system message
>
> …
> %%%% end system message
>
> Have a solution to this?
>
> Best regards: OK

Hi Otared,

Thanks for notifying me about this.

The signature of the ASObjC Runner has become corrupted (for unknown
reasons). I’ve uploaded a new version.

It should work now without codesign error, given that …

- you are on OS X 10.9 or later (because a component needed for 10.8 is
not signed) and

- in your Security & Privacy preference pane you have *not* set “Allow
apps downloaded from” to “Mac App Store” (the other two should be
fine)

If it doesn’t work on your system you can always do one of the
following:

- Copy the the script bundle to your disk, open it (right click -> Show
Package Contents), go to Contents/Resources/bin, right-click each of the
app bundles and choose Open from the context menu and confirm the
following dialog window.

- Or set the option in the above mentioned preference pane to
“Anywhere”, launch the script and let it do one typesetting run,
then change the option in the preference pane back to where it was.

Let me know if you encounter any further problems.

--
Thomas

<http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/>

1.2.4 (62) (2015-04-09)

Replaced ASObjC Runner component with a new copy (code signature
problem).
Updated terminal-notifier component to 1.6.3 (this is only used on OS X
prior to 10.9).

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2015-04-10  9:35       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-04-10  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

I use MacOS X 1.10.3.
I downloaded the new script and now I can run it (though the system asks me whether I am sure about the origin of the script…) and once the button next to SystemUIServer has been checked in the Preferences/Securtity and Privacy pane, your script does everything as expected.

It is very useful especially for updating the ConTeXt standalone folders while keeping a copy of previous ones (if one decides to do so).
Maybe once you have mastered Swift, the new programming interface, you’ll give us a complete GUI program… :-)

Thanks again: OK

@ 2015-04-10 13:18         ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2015-04-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Apr 2015, at 11:35, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I use MacOS X 1.10.3.
> I downloaded the new script and now I can run it (though the system
> asks me whether I am sure about the origin of the script…)

Hm. Do you mean the “… is an application downloaded from the
Internet. Are you sure …” dialog?
If it’s that, that’s quite normal.

Otherwise, I don’t know. The script itself shouldn’t require
codesigning. And it wouldn’t make sense because the signature becomes
invalid after the first run. (It stores some properties, e.g. the path
to your setuptex files, inside the script.)

> and once the button next to SystemUIServer has been checked in the
> Preferences/Securtity and Privacy pane,

The first time you’ll use it with your editor (for example TexShop) it
will ask you to add the editor to the Accessibility prefs, too. This is
needed to get information on the editor’s document windows.

> your script does everything as expected.
>
> It is very useful especially for updating the ConTeXt standalone
> folders while keeping a copy of previous ones (if one decides to do
> so).

Glad to hear that it works for you and that it’s useful. And Yes, when
I update in the middle of a project I find it quite reassuring to know
that snapshots of my previous Ctx folders are just 2 clicks away ;-)

Thanks for the feedback

best

--
Thomas

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-24  4:13 ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2016-03-24  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

A small fix for the Typeset Tool:

1.2.5 (64) / 2016-03-22
Notifications now working on El Capitan (10.11).

http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/ <http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/>

Best,

--
Tom

* Re: For the Mac users: AppleScript to launch ConTeXt in a flexile way
@ 2016-03-24  5:46   ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2016-03-24  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks Thomas for the link. For me it will be helpful.

Jaroslav Hajtmar

@ 2016-09-22 21:32   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2016-09-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’ve updated the Ctx Typest Tool for macOS Sierra.

Due to a lack of computers I hadn’t installed the Sierra Beta, so this update for the moment is a beta.
A non-trivial rewrite was needed, and now main functionality works fine for me, I also tested the tools, found a couple of problems, and fixed them.

Download as usual: http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/

Release notes:

1.3.0 (65) (2016-09-18)
Compatibility: macOS 10.11, 10.12; probably 10.10 (untested); maybe 10.9.
Removed ASObjC Runner from the bundle (incompatibility with macOS Sierra).
Rewritten all code formerly related to ASObjC Runner.
Removed terminal-notifier -> No more notifications under macOS 10.8.
Changed Trash Generated PDF Files action: it now shows a list where you can select the PDFs to trash.
Updated 7zr to ver 16.02
Removed the Python dependency.
Fixed some path and encoding problems for mtxrun and texutil.

--
Tom

http://dflect.net

@ 2016-09-22 21:38     ` Tom