I have seen this discussed once somewhere else, but I can't find it. Here's the problem: two equations in my document have been given numbers (1) and (2), but the references to them come up as (2) and (3) respectively. I have used: \definereferenceformat [ineqn] [left=(,right=),text=equation] to obtain their references. What is going on here? And is there an easier way to obtain parentheses around a reference number, so that "we see from equation (6)" instead of "we see from equation 6"? Thanks Alasdair -- Blog: http://amca01.wordpress.com Web: http://bit.ly/Alasdair Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/alasdair.mcandrew