* mathbold greek letters
@ 2010-09-02  6:39 Chen Shen
From: Chen Shen @ 2010-09-02  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

First I admit that I've never understood the typescript part of ConTeXt...
I've been using the following recipe for boldmath.
The latin letters appears fine in bold italic font, but the greek letters do
not appear.
---------------------------
\definetypeface [boldmath] [mm] [boldmath] [latin-modern] [modern]
[encoding=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[10pt]

\starttext
$a b c \alpha \beta \phi$

$\bi a b c \alpha \beta \phi$
\stoptext
---------------------------

Looking at the log file, I found the following error message:

---------------------------
Missing character: There is no α (U+03B1) in font LMMath10-Regular!
Missing character: There is no α (U+03B1) in font LMMath10-Regular!
Missing character: There is no β (U+03B2) in font LMMath10-Regular!
Missing character: There is no β (U+03B2) in font LMMath10-Regular!
Missing character: There is no ϕ (U+03D5) in font LMMath10-Regular!
---------------------------

Apologize for dumb questions.
I wonder why LMMath Regular is looked-up here, I thought we should be
looking-up LMMathItalic10-Bold?

Thanks a lot.

regards,
ShenChen

* Re: mathbold greek letters
@ 2010-09-02  6:49 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-02  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Chen Shen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First I admit that I've never understood the typescript part of ConTeXt...
> I've been using the following recipe for boldmath.
> The latin letters appears fine in bold italic font, but the greek letters do
> not appear.
> ---------------------------
> \definetypeface [boldmath] [mm] [boldmath] [latin-modern] [modern]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
>
> \starttext
> $a b c \alpha \beta \phi$
>
> $\bi a b c \alpha \beta \phi$
> \stoptext
> ---------------------------
>
> Looking at the log file, I found the following error message:
>
> ---------------------------
> Missing character: There is no α (U+03B1) in font LMMath10-Regular!
> Missing character: There is no α (U+03B1) in font LMMath10-Regular!
> Missing character: There is no β (U+03B2) in font LMMath10-Regular!
> Missing character: There is no β (U+03B2) in font LMMath10-Regular!
> Missing character: There is no ϕ (U+03D5) in font LMMath10-Regular!

Are you using MkIV? If so, an easier solution will be to use an opentype
math font, like xits or cambria or asana math. Then you can simply use

$\bf a \alpha$

to get bold math.

Aditya

* Re: mathbold greek letters