* Typescript Bodoni Old Fashion
@ 2010-12-03 22:57 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-12-03 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 606 bytes --]

Hi all,

[1] I just bought the Bodoni Old Fashion fonts from URW and made
    a typescript. It is attached to this mail (plus a test file
    for whoever needs it). Maybe it could be included in the
    minimals as third-party typescript.

[2] Can we get the strings
      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}
    added to mult-sys.mkiv? This would allow the use of
    “\s!SerifSemiBold” in typescripts.

Thanks, Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: type-bodoniof.mkiv --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2355 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-bodoniof,
%D        version=2010-12-03 23:47:43+0100,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=Font Definitions for URW++ Bodoni Old Fashion,
%D         author=Philipp Gesang,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=Philipp Gesang]
%C
%C This file may be distributed under 2-clause BSD license.

%%% Typescript for the Bodoni Old Fashion font by URW++.
%%% <http://www.urwpp.de/cgi-bin1/dalcgi/source/fontliste0.htd?sprache=english&auswahl=-1&fontnummer=b054013t&m4pb-id=wd16d94b94f7f2e2cf9987dbeae12bccd5a861fbdec>

\starttypescriptcollection [bodoni-of]

\starttypescript [\s!serif] [bodoni-of]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-Regular]        [name:BodoniOldFasURW-Reg]    [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-Italic]         [name:BodoniOldFasURW-RegIta] [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-Bold]           [name:BodoniOldFasURW-Bol]    [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-BoldItalic]     [name:BodoniOldFasURW-BolIta] [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-SemiBold]       [name:BodoniOldFasURW-Med]    [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-SemiBoldItalic] [name:BodoniOldFasURW-MedIta] [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [Bodoni-OF-Smallcaps]      [name:BodoniOldFasURWSC-Reg]  [\s!features=\s!default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [\s!serif] [bodoni-of]
  \setups[\s!font:\s!fallback:\s!serif]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!Serif]               [Bodoni-OF-Regular]        [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifItalic]         [Bodoni-OF-Italic]         [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBold]           [Bodoni-OF-Bold]           [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldItalic]     [Bodoni-OF-BoldItalic]     [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifSemiBold]       [Bodoni-OF-SemiBold]       [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifSemiBoldItalic] [Bodoni-OF-SemiBoldItalic] [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifCaps]           [Bodoni-OF-Smallcaps]      [\s!features=\s!default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [bodoni-of]
  \definetypeface [bodoni-of] [rm] [\s!serif] [bodoni-of] [\s!default]
  \quittypescriptscanning
\stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: test.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 4238 bytes --]

\definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
\definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}

\definefontalternative[sbo]
\definefontalternative[sbi]

\definebodyfont [default] [rm]
  [tf=Serif sa 1,
   bf=SerifBold sa 1,
   it=SerifItalic sa 1,
   sl=SerifSlanted sa 1,
   bi=SerifBoldItalic sa 1,
   bs=SerifBoldSlanted sa 1,
   sbo=SerifSemiBold sa 1,
   sbi=SerifSemiBoldItalic sa 1,
   sc=SerifCaps sa 1]

\definefontfeature[default]   [default] [mode=node,script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes]
%\definefontfeature[smallcaps] [default] [smcp=yes,kern=yes,liga=yes] %% not supported
\definefontfeature[allalts]   [default] [aalt=yes] % provides superscript 1 2 3
\definefontfeature[denoms]    [default] [dnom=yes] % denominators
\definefontfeature[numerator] [default] [numr=yes] % numerators
\definefontfeature[superscrp] [default] [sups=yes] % superscript
\definefontfeature[diphthong] [default] [dpng=yes] % deprecated since otf v.1.4, seems to work for ‘ae’ -> ‘æ’ and ‘oe’ -> ‘œ’

\usetypescriptfile[type-bodoniof]
\usetypescript[bodoni-of]

\setupbodyfont[bodoni-of,12pt]

\def\testing[#1]{%
  \bgroup#1%
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\par
    \centerline{\hfill ff ffi ffl fi fl ft ct Th\hfill}\par
    \hfill ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ\par
    %% Numbers -- sadly no text figures except in the SC variant‽
    0123456789\hfill
    {\addff{superscrp} 0123456789}\hfill
    %% Diacritics
    ěščřžýáíéóůúňďť\hfill
    ąśæåżźćóęł\par
    Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm
    Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz
    Ąą Ęę Łł Ćć Śś Żż Źź Ńń Ěě Šš Čč Řř Žž
    Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú Ůů Ďď Ľľ Ňň Ťť Ææ Åå Øø
    Āā Ēē Īī Ōō Ūū Ėė Įį Ǫǫ Ųų %% As expected, there’s no ‘ǫ’
    {\addff{diphthong} Ae ae AE Oe OE oe}
    \par
    %% Non-Alphabetical
    - -- --- „“ “” „” ‚‘ ‘’ ‚’ «»
    . ! ? ‽ , ; · … : ° + - = \lettertilde\space
    \letterpercent\ § \letterbackslash\ / \letterat\space
    \letterampersand\ \letterbar\ \letterunderscore\space
    ¶ * † ‡
    ™ © € \$ \#
    ( ) [ ] \{ \}
    \par
  \egroup
  \hairline%
  \blank[line]
}

\def\lem{%
  \language[pl]
  Jeżeli możemy mówić o~tym, co zaszło, i o tym, co nie zaszło,
  jakim sposobem moglibyśmy nie mówić o~tym, co zajść w~ogóle
  nie może?%
}

\def\mayr{%
  \language[en]
  Analysis differs from reduction by not claiming that the
  components of a system, revealed by analysis, provide complete
  information on all  the properties of a system, because
  analysis does not supply a full description of the interactions
  among the components of a system.  In spite of its being a
  highly heuristic method for the study of complex systems, it
  would be an error to refer to analysis as reduction.%
}

\startbuffer[jenomnadbrnemne]
  Na Capri sněžilo
  vlci ohrožují turecké vesnice
  Akropolis pod sněhem
  v~ulicích New Yorku půlmetrové závěje
  a setkání dvou cyklonů
  způsobilo sněhový uragán
  v~Moldávii

  Jenom nad Brnem ne
  Tam je pevná střecha z~popílku

  Závěje na té střeše
  trčí do výše jednoho kilometru
  a dokonce
  se ani nepřesouvají
\stopbuffer

\def\kundera{%
  \language[cz]
  \blank[line]
  \WORDS{Jenom nad Brnem ne}
  \blank[line]
  \startlines
  \getbuffer[jenomnadbrnemne]
  \stoplines
}

\def\partest[#1]{%
  \section{Ludvík Kundera napsal}
  {#1\kundera\par}

  \section{Ernst Mayr wrote}
  {#1\mayr\par}

  \section{Stanisław Lem napisał}
  {#1\lem \lem \lem}\par
}

\definecolumnset[two][n=2] \mainlanguage[en] \setuptolerance[horizontal,tolerant]

\setuphead[section][%
  number=yes,
  style=\tf,
  numberstyle=\bf,
  textstyle=\sbo,
]
\starttext

%\addff{smallcaps}
%\addff{allalts}
%\addff{denoms}
%\addff{numerator}
%\addff{superscrp}
%\addff{diphthong}

\testing[\rm]
\testing[\it]
\testing[\sc]
\testing[\sbo]
\testing[\bf]
\testing[\sbi]
\testing[\bi]

\page
\partest[\rm]
\partest[\it]
\partest[\sc]
\partest[\sbo]
\partest[\bf]
\partest[\sbi]
\partest[\bi]

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Typescript Bodoni Old Fashion
@ 2010-12-04 14:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-12-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.12.2010 um 23:57 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

> Hi all,
>
> [1] I just bought the Bodoni Old Fashion fonts from URW and made
>    a typescript. It is attached to this mail (plus a test file
>    for whoever needs it). Maybe it could be included in the
>    minimals as third-party typescript.
>
> [2] Can we get the strings
>      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
>      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}
>    added to mult-sys.mkiv? This would allow the use of
>    “\s!SerifSemiBold” in typescripts.

Why, they are only used in your typescripts and they are only useable
because you define your own commands to use them with \definebodyfont.

The context way is to write two typescripts, one which use the normal
bold style and another one which use the semibold style and in this
case both are mapped to SerifBold.

I can add the fonts to my typescript collection but not in the way you
currently use them.

Wolfgang

* Re: Typescript Bodoni Old Fashion
@ 2010-12-04 16:38 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 23:57, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> [2] Can we get the strings
>      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
>      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}
>    added to mult-sys.mkiv? This would allow the use of
>    “\s!SerifSemiBold” in typescripts.

You can leave the \s! out and simply define "SerifSemiBold" if you want.

For other fonts you could have defined an enormous amount of different
synonyms, while you wouldn't have any shortcut such as \bi, \bs etc.

You can take a look at
    http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2010/talks/2010-09-15-mojca-fonts/some-thoughts-about-typescripts.pdf
Not so much about the idea, but just to get the idea how big the
families could be and how many names you would have to invent (it's in
the order of a few hundred if not more to be able to cover
everything).

And even then there would be no easy way to switch unless you know the
exact font name anyway.

Hans started some basic support (but it needs to be polished out a
bit). See for example
    tex/context/fonts/antykwapoltawskiego.lfg
in your TeX tree.

Mojca

* Re: Typescript Bodoni Old Fashion
@ 2010-12-04 22:48   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-12-04 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-12-04 <15:29:56>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 03.12.2010 um 23:57 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > [1] I just bought the Bodoni Old Fashion fonts from URW and made
> >    a typescript. It is attached to this mail (plus a test file
> >    for whoever needs it). Maybe it could be included in the
> >    minimals as third-party typescript.
> >
> > [2] Can we get the strings
> >      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
> >      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}
> >    added to mult-sys.mkiv? This would allow the use of
> >    “\s!SerifSemiBold” in typescripts.
>
> Why, they are only used in your typescripts and they are only useable
> because you define your own commands to use them with \definebodyfont.

Agreed, it’s a kludge.

> The context way is to write two typescripts, one which use the normal
> bold style and another one which use the semibold style and in this
> case both are mapped to SerifBold.

With the few examples for medium/semibold weights in
“third/typescripts” I was not quite sure how to handle this.
Thanks for the clarification, I split the typescript accordingly.

Regards, Philipp

@ 2010-12-04 22:52     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-12-04 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2808 bytes --]

It’s a bit late already over here, so I just forgot the revised
typescript …

On 2010-12-04 <23:48:27>, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> On 2010-12-04 <15:29:56>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> >
> > Am 03.12.2010 um 23:57 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > [1] I just bought the Bodoni Old Fashion fonts from URW and made
> > >    a typescript. It is attached to this mail (plus a test file
> > >    for whoever needs it). Maybe it could be included in the
> > >    minimals as third-party typescript.
> > >
> > > [2] Can we get the strings
> > >      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
> > >      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}
> > >    added to mult-sys.mkiv? This would allow the use of
> > >    “\s!SerifSemiBold” in typescripts.
> >
> > Why, they are only used in your typescripts and they are only useable
> > because you define your own commands to use them with \definebodyfont.
>
> Agreed, it’s a kludge.
>
> > The context way is to write two typescripts, one which use the normal
> > bold style and another one which use the semibold style and in this
> > case both are mapped to SerifBold.
>
> With the few examples for medium/semibold weights in
> “third/typescripts” I was not quite sure how to handle this.
> Thanks for the clarification, I split the typescript accordingly.
>
> Regards, Philipp
>
> > I can add the fonts to my typescript collection but not in the way you
> > currently use them.
> >
> > Wolfgang

> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: type-bodoniof.mkiv --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2915 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-bodoniof,
%D        version=2010-12-03 23:47:43+0100,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=Font Definitions for URW++ Bodoni Old Fashion,
%D         author=Philipp Gesang,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=Philipp Gesang]
%C
%C This file may be distributed under 2-clause BSD license.

%%% Typescript for the Bodoni Old Fashion font by URW++.
%%% <http://www.urwpp.de/cgi-bin1/dalcgi/source/fontliste0.htd?sprache=english&auswahl=-1&fontnummer=b054013t&m4pb-id=wd16d94b94f7f2e2cf9987dbeae12bccd5a861fbdec>

\starttypescriptcollection [bodoni-of]

\starttypescript [\s!serif] [bodoni-of,bodoni-of-semibold,bodoni-of-medium]
[...]

\starttypescript [\s!serif] [bodoni-of-semibold,bodoni-of-medium]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!Serif]           [Bodoni-OF-Regular]        [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifItalic]     [Bodoni-OF-Italic]         [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBold]       [Bodoni-OF-SemiBold]       [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldItalic] [Bodoni-OF-SemiBoldItalic] [\s!features=\s!default]
  \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifCaps]       [Bodoni-OF-Smallcaps]      [\s!features=\s!default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [bodoni-of]
  \definetypeface [bodoni-of] [rm] [\s!serif] [bodoni-of] [\s!default]
  \quittypescriptscanning
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [bodoni-of-semibold,bodoni-of-medium]
  \definetypeface [bodoni-of-semibold] [rm] [\s!serif] [bodoni-of-semibold] [\s!default]

@ 2010-12-05 12:05   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-12-05 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2645 bytes --]

On 2010-12-04 <17:38:07>, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 23:57, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >
> > [2] Can we get the strings
> >      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBold}
> >      \definesystemconstant{SerifSemiBoldItalic}
> >    added to mult-sys.mkiv? This would allow the use of
> >    “\s!SerifSemiBold” in typescripts.
>
> You can leave the \s! out and simply define "SerifSemiBold" if you want.

Of course, but imagine those uneven exceptions in the source …

> For other fonts you could have defined an enormous amount of different
> synonyms, while you wouldn't have any shortcut such as \bi, \bs etc.
>
> You can take a look at
>     http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2010/talks/2010-09-15-mojca-fonts/some-thoughts-about-typescripts.pdf
> Not so much about the idea, but just to get the idea how big the
> families could be and how many names you would have to invent (it's in
> the order of a few hundred if not more to be able to cover
> everything).
>
> And even then there would be no easy way to switch unless you know the
> exact font name anyway.

You have some (as in: lots of) valid points in the paper. Font
selection, for instance, is a pain -- in my case, simplefonts
just picks the bold weight for “\rm” and I can’t blame it because
of the unpredictable nomenclature. The best thing that could
happen would be a tool like xfontsel for the context font
database. However, after looking at the naming schemes of too
many fonts I doubt it could be written.

> Hans started some basic support (but it needs to be polished out a
> bit). See for example
>     tex/context/fonts/antykwapoltawskiego.lfg
> in your TeX tree.

This looks very promising. I did the same thing to my font (which
is much smaller than antpołt) and had success loading it through
“\loadfontgoodies” -- but it doesn’t quite serve as a typescript
for font loading yet, does it? (Attached)

Thanks for the insights, Philipp

> Mojca

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: bodoniofurw.lfg --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2534 bytes --]

return {
    name = "bodoniofurw",
    version = "2010-12-05 12:39:08+0100",
    comment = "Hoping this will become (a) standard soon",
    author = "Ph. Gesang",
    copyright = "Unclaimed",
    files = {
        name = "bodoniofurw",
        list = {
            ["BodoniOldFasURW-Reg.otf"] = {
                weight = "normal",
                style  = "regular",
                width  = "normal",
            },
            ["BodoniOldFasURW-RegIta.otf"] = {
                weight = "normal",
                style  = "italic",
                width  = "normal",
            },
            ["BodoniOldFasURWSC-Reg.otf"] = {
                weight = "normal",
                style  = "smallcaps", -- the font is old fashioned even wrt otf structure
                width  = "normal",
            },
            ["BodoniOldFasURW-Med.otf"] = {
                weight = "medium",
                style  = "regular",
                width  = "normal",
            },
            ["BodoniOldFasURW-MedIta.otf"] = {
                weight = "medium",
                style  = "italic",
                width  = "normal",
            },
            ["BodoniOldFasURW-Bol.otf"] = {
                weight = "bold",
                style  = "regular",
                width  = "normal",
            },
            ["BodoniOldFasURW-BolIta.otf"] = {
                weight = "bold",
                style  = "italic",
                width  = "normal",
            },
        },
    },
    typefaces = {
        ["bodoniof-normal"] = {
            shortcut     = "rm",
            shape        = "serif",
            fontname     = "bodoniofurw",
            normalweight = "normal",
            boldweight   = "medium",
            width        = "normal",
            size         = "default",
            features     = "default",
        },
        ["bodoniof-medium"] = {
            shortcut     = "rm",
            shape        = "serif",
            fontname     = "bodoniofurw",
            normalweight = "medium",
            boldweight   = "bold",
            width        = "normal",
            size         = "default",
            features     = "default",
        },
        ["bodoniof-normalbold"] = {
            shortcut     = "rm",
            shape        = "serif",
            fontname     = "bodoniofurw",
            normalweight = "normal",
            boldweight   = "bold",
            width        = "normal",
            size         = "default",
            features     = "default",
        },
    },
}

@ 2010-12-06 11:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-06 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-12-2010 1:05, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> This looks very promising. I did the same thing to my font (which
> is much smaller than antpołt) and had success loading it through
> “\loadfontgoodies” -- but it doesn’t quite serve as a typescript
> for font loading yet, does it? (Attached)

no, it's supposed to work in tandem with the spec: prefix

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE