* Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-20 20:44 Michael Goerz
From: Michael Goerz @ 2011-02-20 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I was compiling a document with the version of ConTeXt that comes with
TeXLive 2010, and now tried to compile it the latest beta of the
Minimals installation. The compilations fails with the following error:

    [...]

    pages           > flushing realpage 6, userpage 1
    pages           > flushing realpage 7, userpage 1
    )
    system          > end file vol_vii_3/frontmatter at line 14
    pages           > flushing realpage 8, userpage 1
    ! Missing control sequence inserted.

    system          > tex > error on line 11 in file
vol_vii_3/vol_vii_3.tex: Missing control sequence inserted ...

     1     %\overfullrule5\points % show overfull boxes
     2     \startproduct vol_vii_3/vol_vii_3
     3     \project project
     4
     5     \enablemode[doublesided]
     6
     7     %\showframe % show the layout boxes on each page
     8
     9     \startfrontmatter
    10     \setupheadertexts[{}][{}][{}][{}]
    11 >>
    12     \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
    13
    14     \component vol_vii_3/frontmatter
    15
    16     \page[yes, odd]
    17
    18     { % ToC
    19         \IJDEvol{Summer 2011}{Volume VII.3}
    20         \FMTitle{Contents}
    21         \blank[big]

    <inserted text>
                    \inaccessible
    <to be read again>
                       {
    \currentconvertfont ...tchtobodyfont [14pt]\edef {

smallcaps}\attribute \zero...
    \dosetfontattribute ...me #1#2\@EA \endcsname \fi
                                                      \empty
    \dosetlistattributes ...bute \fontattributehash #1
                                                      \fi \ifx
\colorattributeha...
    <argument> ...setlistattributes \c!style \c!color
                                                      \!!widthb \hsize
\doifelse...
    l.23     \page
                  [left]
    ?

I have absolutely no clue what the error message is trying to tell me,
or how to go about making the document compile. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael Goerz

* Re: Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-20 20:51 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-02-20 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 09:44:21PM +0100, Michael Goerz wrote:
>      1     %\overfullrule5\points % show overfull boxes
>      2     \startproduct vol_vii_3/vol_vii_3
>      3     \project project
>      4
>      5     \enablemode[doublesided]
>      6
>      7     %\showframe % show the layout boxes on each page
>      8
>      9     \startfrontmatter
>     10     \setupheadertexts[{}][{}][{}][{}]
>     11 >>
>     12     \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
>     13
>     14     \component vol_vii_3/frontmatter
>     15
>     16     \page[yes, odd]
>     17
>     18     { % ToC
>     19         \IJDEvol{Summer 2011}{Volume VII.3}
>     20         \FMTitle{Contents}
>     21         \blank[big]

OT: I like the new error messages context, much more readable than the
cryptic default, is that a luatex-specific thing or can be done for
other engines?

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-20 21:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-20 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.02.2011 um 21:44 schrieb Michael Goerz:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was compiling a document with the version of ConTeXt that comes with
> TeXLive 2010, and now tried to compile it the latest beta of the
> Minimals installation. The compilations fails with the following error:

The problem should be somewhere here:

>    18     { % ToC
>    19         \IJDEvol{Summer 2011}{Volume VII.3}
>    20         \FMTitle{Contents}
>    21         \blank[big]
>
> I have absolutely no clue what the error message is trying to tell me,
> or how to go about making the document compile. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Can you comment the part where you insert the table of contents
in your document, something fails here but it’s not able to tell
what from your example.

Can you make a minimal example or send me the files off list.

Wolfgang

* Re: Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-20 21:52   ` Michael Goerz
From: Michael Goerz @ 2011-02-20 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 20.02.2011 um 21:44 schrieb Michael Goerz:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I was compiling a document with the version of ConTeXt that comes with
>> TeXLive 2010, and now tried to compile it the latest beta of the
>> Minimals installation. The compilations fails with the following error:
>
> The problem should be somewhere here:
>
>>    18     { % ToC
>>    19         \IJDEvol{Summer 2011}{Volume VII.3}
>>    20         \FMTitle{Contents}
>>    21         \blank[big]
>>
>> I have absolutely no clue what the error message is trying to tell me,
>> or how to go about making the document compile. Does anyone have any
>> suggestions?
>
> Can you comment the part where you insert the table of contents
> in your document, something fails here but it’s not able to tell
> what from your example.
Indeed, it has something to do with the Table of Contents. The
\placecontent is already enough to produce the error, but only in
combination with the definitions in my env.tex file. If I don't place
the TOC, or don't load my env settings, the documents compiles.

> Can you make a minimal example or send me the files off list.
I've attached the files for a minimal example:
.
|-- env.tex
|-- project.tex
`-- vol_vii_3
    `-- vol_vii_3.tex

Thanks,
Michael

[-- Attachment #2: env.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: project.tex --]

[-- Attachment #4: vol_vii_3.tex --]

* Re: Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-20 21:59     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-20 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.02.2011 um 22:52 schrieb Michael Goerz:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
>> Can you comment the part where you insert the table of contents
>> in your document, something fails here but it’s not able to tell
>> what from your example.
> Indeed, it has something to do with the Table of Contents. The
> \placecontent is already enough to produce the error, but only in
> combination with the definitions in my env.tex file. If I don't place
> the TOC, or don't load my env settings, the documents compiles.

Change these defintions from \def to \unexpanded\def

% Font Features Macros
\def\orn{\setfontfeature{ornaments}}
\def\itsw{\setfontfeature{swash}\it}
\def\sw{\setfontfeature{swash}}
\def\smcp{\setfontfeature{smallcaps}}
\def\lnfigures{\setfontfeature{lining}}
\def\tabfigures{\addfontfeaturetofont{tabular}}
\def\lntabfigures{\setfontfeature{tabular}}

Wolfgang

* Re: Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-20 22:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-2-2011 9:51, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 09:44:21PM +0100, Michael Goerz wrote:
>>       1     %\overfullrule5\points % show overfull boxes
>>       2     \startproduct vol_vii_3/vol_vii_3
>>       3     \project project
>>       4
>>       5     \enablemode[doublesided]
>>       6
>>       7     %\showframe % show the layout boxes on each page
>>       8
>>       9     \startfrontmatter
>>      10     \setupheadertexts[{}][{}][{}][{}]
>>      11>>
>>      12     \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
>>      13
>>      14     \component vol_vii_3/frontmatter
>>      15
>>      16     \page[yes, odd]
>>      17
>>      18     { % ToC
>>      19         \IJDEvol{Summer 2011}{Volume VII.3}
>>      20         \FMTitle{Contents}
>>      21         \blank[big]
>
> OT: I like the new error messages context, much more readable than the
> cryptic default, is that a luatex-specific thing or can be done for
> other engines?

It's not luatex specific but context specific (and more an experiment,
as I also want proper line numbers for lua code but a patch for getting
that info is on the agenda).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-20 22:06     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-02-20 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:04:38PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 20-2-2011 9:51, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 09:44:21PM +0100, Michael Goerz wrote:
> >>      1     %\overfullrule5\points % show overfull boxes
> >>      2     \startproduct vol_vii_3/vol_vii_3
> >>      3     \project project
> >>      4
> >>      5     \enablemode[doublesided]
> >>      6
> >>      7     %\showframe % show the layout boxes on each page
> >>      8
> >>      9     \startfrontmatter
> >>     10     \setupheadertexts[{}][{}][{}][{}]
> >>     11>>
> >>     12     \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
> >>     13
> >>     14     \component vol_vii_3/frontmatter
> >>     15
> >>     16     \page[yes, odd]
> >>     17
> >>     18     { % ToC
> >>     19         \IJDEvol{Summer 2011}{Volume VII.3}
> >>     20         \FMTitle{Contents}
> >>     21         \blank[big]
> >
> >OT: I like the new error messages context, much more readable than the
> >cryptic default, is that a luatex-specific thing or can be done for
> >other engines?
>
> It's not luatex specific but context specific (and more an
> experiment, as I also want proper line numbers for lua code but a
> patch for getting that info is on the agenda).

It is cool nevertheless :)

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: Compilation problem with latest beta
@ 2011-02-21  0:16       ` Michael Goerz
From: Michael Goerz @ 2011-02-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 20.02.2011 um 22:52 schrieb Michael Goerz:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
>>> Can you comment the part where you insert the table of contents
>>> in your document, something fails here but it’s not able to tell
>>> what from your example.
>> Indeed, it has something to do with the Table of Contents. The
>> \placecontent is already enough to produce the error, but only in
>> combination with the definitions in my env.tex file. If I don't place
>> the TOC, or don't load my env settings, the documents compiles.
>
> Change these defintions from \def to \unexpanded\def
>
> % Font Features Macros
> \def\orn{\setfontfeature{ornaments}}
> \def\itsw{\setfontfeature{swash}\it}
> \def\sw{\setfontfeature{swash}}
> \def\smcp{\setfontfeature{smallcaps}}
> \def\lnfigures{\setfontfeature{lining}}
> \def\tabfigures{\addfontfeaturetofont{tabular}}
> \def\lntabfigures{\setfontfeature{tabular}}
Indeed, that works perfectly.

However, there's another problem now, going beyond my minimal example.
The following macro that I have in env.tex no longer works in the
latest beta:
    \def\TocAuthors#1{\writebetweenlist[chapter]{\Lower(1cm){\bf #1}}{}}

It seems that the \Lower macro is no longer available. Is there a
suitable replacement?

To reproduce this in the minimal example, I've added a file
vol_vii_3/articles with the following content:

    \startcomponent bla
    \product vol_vii_3/vol_vii_3
    \project project

    \TocAuthors{Me}
    \chapter{Some Title}
    bla

and added it in vol_vii_3.tex:

    [...]
    \startbodymatter
    \part{bla}
    \component vol_vii_3/articles/bla
    [...]

@ 2011-02-21  8:49         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21-2-2011 1:16, Michael Goerz wrote:

> It seems that the \Lower macro is no longer available. Is there a
> suitable replacement?

it's not coming back as it was part of the TaBlE package and not part of
context core code

it look like you want {\blank{\bf ...}} behaviour

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-21  9:46           ` Michael Goerz
From: Michael Goerz @ 2011-02-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context, Hans Hagen

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 21-2-2011 1:16, Michael Goerz wrote:
>
>> It seems that the \Lower macro is no longer available. Is there a
>> suitable replacement?
>
> it's not coming back as it was part of the TaBlE package and not part of
> context core code
>
> it look like you want {\blank{\bf ...}} behaviour
Great, compilation now works with the latest beta.

Thanks so much!
Michael