2011/3/21 Ulrike Fischer > Am Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:51:44 +0100 schrieb Cecil Westerhof: > > > Until now I always used a - (minus sign) to define a sub sentence or for > an > > optional word, like: > > This is -now- not necessary, > > > > I understood that normally you use the em dash for this. But for only a > > word, this seems a little big. Could I then use an en dash or should I > keep > > using a minus sign? > > It depends. In germany I would use an en dash and put spaces around > it: dies ist -- noch -- nicht notwendig. > > Older english books often use --- without spaces: is---now. But > spaces and endash with spaces are used too: > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash_versus_em_dash > > So check the typography rules of your country/language. > I found a few things on http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedachtestreepje en related pages. It would be customary to use the endash, but emdash can be used also. I think I am going for the endash. So I change it again. It also says that spaces should be used, but I never saw that. At the moment I will not use it. (It is clear where the sub sentence starts and ends.) But I'll do some more research on it. -- Cecil Westerhof