* Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-12 19:48 Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2011-02-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have some troubles using the Symbola font mentioned some time ago on
the mailing list (http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Symbola602.zip). It
seems like the font metrics are loaded correctly, but the glyphs in
the pdf appear approximately half the size, leaving white space above
and next to it.

Here is a minimal example:

\starttext
Gg {\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf]Gg} Gg
\stoptext

If I use \definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2], the glyphs are more
or less the good size, but the metrics are way too large. I have no
problems with this font in OpenOffice.

Any ideas?

Vianney

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-12 20:09 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-02-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 feb. 2011, at 20:48, Vianney le Clément <vleclement@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I use \definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2], the glyphs are more
> or less the good size, but the metrics are way too large. I have no
> problems with this font in OpenOffice.

How old is your luatex and context combination? It sounds like a bug we fixed a while ago (the font is probably a postscript font with an abnormal units per em setting)

Best wishes,

Taco

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-12 21:04   ` Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2011-02-12 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 21:09, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> How old is your luatex and context combination? It sounds like a bug we fixed a while ago (the font is probably a postscript font with an abnormal units per em setting)

Thanks for your answer. I'm using the latest context beta minimals
(updated today): ConTeXt - 2011.02.11 18:18 and LuaTeX-0.65.0. Is
there a newer version fixing the problem?

Vianney

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13  7:03   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-13  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> On 12 feb. 2011, at 20:48, Vianney le Clément <vleclement@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If I use \definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2], the glyphs are more
>> or less the good size, but the metrics are way too large. I have no
>> problems with this font in OpenOffice.
>>
> How old is your luatex and context combination? It sounds like a bug we fixed a while ago (the font is probably a postscript font with an abnormal units per em setting)
No, it's a truetype font with 2048 UnitsPerEm.
This font has not kerning at all: it is only usable as .. symbol ! :-)

> Best wishes,
>
> Taco

luigi

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13  8:18     ` Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2011-02-13  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:03, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it's a truetype font with 2048 UnitsPerEm.
> This font has not kerning at all: it is only usable as .. symbol ! :-)

It is indeed what I want: use it as a symbol font. But even when
trying to access symbols like this:

    \definesymbol[Masks][{\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa *]\char"1F3AD}]

I still have the problem that the glyphs are too small. Do you have a
better way to access the symbols and have them at the right size?

Thanks,
Vianney

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13  8:26       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-02-13  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/13/2011 09:18 AM, Vianney le Clément wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:03, luigi scarso<luigi.scarso@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> No, it's a truetype font with 2048 UnitsPerEm.
>> This font has not kerning at all: it is only usable as .. symbol ! :-)
>
> It is indeed what I want: use it as a symbol font. But even when
> trying to access symbols like this:
>
>      \definesymbol[Masks][{\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa *]\char"1F3AD}]
>
> I still have the problem that the glyphs are too small. Do you have a
> better way to access the symbols and have them at the right size?

It is an error in the context font loader, apparently. It seems it
assumes that .otf == postscript. Something for Hans to look at.

Renaming the font to Symbola602.ttf is a usable workaround (but you
have to clear the font cache).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13  8:56       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-13  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/13 Vianney le Clément <vleclement@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:03, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, it's a truetype font with 2048 UnitsPerEm.
>> This font has not kerning at all: it is only usable as .. symbol ! :-)
>
> It is indeed what I want: use it as a symbol font. But even when
> trying to access symbols like this:
>
>    \definesymbol[Masks][{\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa *]\char"1F3AD}]
>
> I still have the problem that the glyphs are too small. Do you have a
> better way to access the symbols and have them at the right size?
\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]
seems ok.
Try
\setupbodyfont[18pt]
\starttext
Gg {\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]Gg} Gg
M{\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2 ]\char"1F3AD}M
and change
\setupbodyfont
to differents sizes.
Symbols should look ok.
\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13 16:21         ` Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2011-02-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/13 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:
> It is an error in the context font loader, apparently. It seems it
> assumes that .otf == postscript. Something for Hans to look at.
>
> Renaming the font to Symbola602.ttf is a usable workaround (but you
> have to clear the font cache).
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

This workaround works perfectly. Now I can use all those neat symbols.
Hartelijk bedankt.
Vianney

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13 16:24         ` Vianney le Clément
From: Vianney le Clément @ 2011-02-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 09:56, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> \definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]
> seems ok.
> Try
> \setupbodyfont[18pt]
> \starttext
> Gg {\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]Gg} Gg
> M{\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2 ]\char"1F3AD}M
> and change
> \setupbodyfont
> to differents sizes.
> Symbols should look ok.
> \stoptext
>
> --
> luigi

The problem with "sa 2" is that the lineheight becomes too large and
there is a lot of space at the right of the symbol. The glyphs look
alright, but the metrics are twice too big.
Renaming the file to .ttf as Taco suggests works fine though. Thanks
both for your help.

Vianney

* Re: Symbola font glyph size
@ 2011-02-13 16:53           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-13 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/13 Vianney le Clément <vleclement@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 09:56, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> \definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]
>> seems ok.
>> Try
>> \setupbodyfont[18pt]
>> \starttext
>> Gg {\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]Gg} Gg
>> M{\definedfont[file:Symbola602.otf sa 2 ]\char"1F3AD}M
>> and change
>> \setupbodyfont
>> to differents sizes.
>> Symbols should look ok.
>> \stoptext
>>
>> --
>> luigi
>
> The problem with "sa 2" is that the lineheight becomes too large and
> there is a lot of space at the right of the symbol. The glyphs look
> alright, but the metrics are twice too big.
> Renaming the file to .ttf as Taco suggests works fine though. Thanks
> both for your help.
It seems something wrong with otf loader, as taco wrote
\setupbodyfont[18pt]
\definefont[Sym][file:Symbola602.otf sa 2]
\starttext
AAAAAAAAAAAA

AAA\ruledhbox{\Sym\char"1F3AD}AAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAA
\stoptext

--
luigi