* Minimals without rsync - again?
@ 2010-07-28 10:49 Richard Stephens
From: Richard Stephens @ 2010-07-28 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Context User Group

Hi all,

On the wiki at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/FAQ is says:

"Blocked Firewall port
You are most probably behind a firewall. Make sure that port 873 is
open. If you cannot make any changes yourself and if your admin
objects, you probably won't be able to use rsync for the
distribution."

Yes, I am behind a firewall. No, port 873 is not open. No, I cannot
make any changes, and yes, my admin objects :-(
So what's the alternative to using rsync? I used to use the zip file
at http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-4.htm but that doesn't exist any
more!

I've now managed to screw up my MKIV installation somehow, so I
desperately need some way of getting the beta release re-installed
without rsync.

Help!!

Richard
Converteam UK Ltd. Registration Number: 5571739 and Converteam Ltd. Registration Number: 2416188 Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: Boughton Road, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 1BU.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.

http://www.converteam.com

* Re: Minimals without rsync - again?
@ 2010-07-28 11:23 ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2010-07-28 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-2.htm help?

--
Vedran Miletić

* Re: Minimals without rsync - again?
@ 2010-07-28 11:41 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-07-28 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:49, Richard Stephens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On the wiki at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/FAQ is says:
>
> "Blocked Firewall port
> You are most probably behind a firewall. Make sure that port 873 is
> open. If you cannot make any changes yourself and if your admin
> objects, you probably won't be able to use rsync for the
> distribution."
>
> Yes, I am behind a firewall. No, port 873 is not open. No, I cannot
> make any changes, and yes, my admin objects :-(
> So what's the alternative to using rsync? I used to use the zip file
> at http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-4.htm but that doesn't exist any
> more!
>
> I've now managed to screw up my MKIV installation somehow, so I
> desperately need some way of getting the beta release re-installed
> without rsync.

There is also
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/pragma/

Maybe it doesn't contain the latest ConTeXt, but at least it should
work (I can update it at any time, but I have a feeling that it now
contains the latest "stable" release).

An alternative is to use ssh port forwarding, but I'm not sure how
this can be done (there have already been some discussions about that,
so it must be somewhere in archives).

Mojca

* Re: Minimals without rsync - again?
@ 2010-07-29  3:52   ` Martin Althoff
From: Martin Althoff @ 2010-07-29  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I am working in China at the moment, rsync only works sporadically (super slow, possibly not at all for a couple of days, then at high speed for a day or two), kind of soft blocked. Having clobbered my installation of minimals (and other things) because of it,

Not a solution, but a crutch: zip up the whole minimals folder before running rsync. For me that's just under 130MB. Date the file, keep a few...

Maybe the now suggested solution will work for me sometime in the future. Currently I am on holiday outside of China. rsync works like a charm in Indonesia.

Martin

* Re: Minimals without rsync - again?
@ 2010-07-28 17:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-07-28 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-7-2010 3:42, Richard Stephens wrote:

> What would be really nice is a .zip file containing EVERYTHING needed
> to install ConTeXt for the latest stable release
> AND another .zip (produced, say, once a month) with the changes since
> the stable release!
> Or failing that, just a big .zip file with everything in it once a month or so.
> I can dream!

I've uploaded:

www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/minimals-snapshots-common.7z
www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/minimals-snapshots-mswin.7z
www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/minimals-snapshots-linux.7z
www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/minimals-snapshots-linux-64.7z
www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/minimals-snapshots-ox-intel.7z

making zips with changes is a no-go for several reasons

- it costs me too much time to do that while most users can use rsync
and the garden
- uploading from here should happen in reasonable time (a few minutes at
most)

so, i can upload occasionally those zips (and probably need to be
reminded every now and then) and it will be the latest then (it being
current of beta)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-07-28 14:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-07-28 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 15:42, Richard Stephens
<richard.stephens@converteam.com> wrote:

> At the above address, there is a .zip file called mswin.zip which
> appears to contain binaries etc (dated 28-May-2010). Plus another one
> called mswincontext.zip which presumably contains everything else
> (dated 17-April-2008). How would I make use of these to install the
> full distribution?

mswincontext is not what it's supposed to be. One should install
justtex.zip and mswin.zip ... but something must be wrong since I see
now that justtex contains some windows binaries (which it shouldn't).

> What would be really nice is a .zip file containing EVERYTHING needed
> to install ConTeXt for the latest stable release
> AND another .zip (produced, say, once a month) with the changes since
> the stable release!
> Or failing that, just a big .zip file with everything in it once a month or so.
> I can dream!

I'll try to think about something. But not too soon. (I could update
the whole distribution at any moment though.)

Mojca

* Re: Minimals without rsync - again?
@ 2010-07-28 13:42 Richard Stephens
From: Richard Stephens @ 2010-07-28 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Does http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-2.htm help?
>
> --
> Vedran Miletić

I used to update to the latest beta using download-2, but it doesn't
contain new binaries and dll's etc.

> There is also
>    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/pragma/
>
> Maybe it doesn't contain the latest ConTeXt, but at least it should
> work (I can update it at any time, but I have a feeling that it now
> contains the latest "stable" release).

At the above address, there is a .zip file called mswin.zip which
appears to contain binaries etc (dated 28-May-2010). Plus another one
called mswincontext.zip which presumably contains everything else
(dated 17-April-2008). How would I make use of these to install the
full distribution?

What would be really nice is a .zip file containing EVERYTHING needed
to install ConTeXt for the latest stable release
AND another .zip (produced, say, once a month) with the changes since
the stable release!
Or failing that, just a big .zip file with everything in it once a month or so.
I can dream!

> An alternative is to use ssh port forwarding, but I'm not sure how
> this can be done (there have already been some discussions about that,
> so it must be somewhere in archives).
>
> Mojca
I've tried to understand all the ssh stuff in the mail archive and
elsewhere but it makes my head spin!

Thanks for your help,