From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: POV-Ray
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:35:01 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 14:44, Shiv Shankar Dayal wrote:
> Sure the file size is going to be blown
> up by a margin but I think metapost can not beat POV-Ray in terms of power.
>
> Please advice.

POV-Ray is for 3D raster images, while metapost is for 2D vector
images. I often use POV-Ray to generate complex 3D surfaces and then
overlay the image with metapost to add arrows, labels, ...

Two two programs are hardly comparable. They are used for completely
different needs. You need to tell what kind of images exactly you
would want to have.

Asymptote may lie somewhere between the two (less powerful than
POV-Ray, but more 3D features than metapost).

Mojca