* [metapost] mptopdf from the command line in ConTeXt minimals?...
@ 2010-06-30  0:45 Stuart Hungerford
From: Stuart Hungerford @ 2010-06-30  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I'm a ConTeXt and Metapost newbie, so apologies in advance if
this is a stupid question.

I've successfully installed ConTeXt minimals on an OS/X 10.6.x
system and it seems to be running okay.  I'd like to run some
metapost examples from the command line and "mpost" also seems
to be running well.

I've seen references to a "mptopdf" script and there is a Perl
script of that name but it looks like it needs to be installed
somewhere.  Is there some post-setup procedure I need to follow
to access "mptopdf" or another one I've seen references to
"fmtutil"?

Thanks,

Stu

--
Stuart Hungerford
ANU Supercomputer Facility

* Re: [metapost] mptopdf from the command line in ConTeXt minimals?...
@ 2010-06-30  7:49 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-06-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 02:45, Stuart Hungerford wrote:

> I've seen references to a "mptopdf" script and there is a Perl
> script of that name but it looks like it needs to be installed
> somewhere.  Is there some post-setup procedure I need to follow
> to access "mptopdf" or another one I've seen references to
> "fmtutil"?

The minimals use a lua version of that script. It should run
automatically, or at least "semi-automatically" after you run
    luatools --generate.

After that just execute
    mptopdf myfile.mp

Mojca

* Re: [metapost] mptopdf from the command line in ConTeXt minimals?...
@ 2010-06-30  8:11 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-06-30  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Stuart Hungerford
<stuart.hungerford@anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a ConTeXt and Metapost newbie, so apologies in advance if
> this is a stupid question.
>
> I've successfully installed ConTeXt minimals on an OS/X 10.6.x
> system and it seems to be running okay.  I'd like to run some
> metapost examples from the command line and "mpost" also seems
> to be running well.
>
> I've seen references to a "mptopdf" script and there is a Perl
> script of that name but it looks like it needs to be installed
> somewhere.  Is there some post-setup procedure I need to follow
> to access "mptopdf" or another one I've seen references to
> "fmtutil"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stu
context mkiv of minimals uses mplib which is integrated in luatex, so
it's the fastest  way to produce a pdf :
for example

%%save as
%%test-0001.tex
\starttext
\startMPpage
path p; p :=  fullcircle scaled 1 cm;
draw p scaled 4 withpen pencircle xscaled 2mm yscaled 4mm rotated 30 ;
\stopMPpage
\stoptext

$>context test-0001.tex

With context mkii (again of  minimals) is almost the same
$>mtxrun texexec test-0001.tex

but metapost is called with a system command , so it's more slow.

(google metafun-s.pdf for more info about metafun)

--
luigi