* Euler font and context minimals
@ 2010-09-25 14:51 Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-09-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi everyone,

I'm using ConTeXt for my PhD thesis and as I'm getting sick of writing
up I've been trying to tweak the appearance a bit. I'd like to switch
to using Palatino font for main body and Euler font for math. So I
tried

\setupbodyfont[pagella-euler]

\starttext

test $f(x) = x^2$.

\stoptext

But I get errors during processing such as:

MTXrun | run 1: luatex
--fmt="/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/9076a3f5a9f873039eaa5d3001a4c6ac/formats/cont-en"
--lua="/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/9076a3f5a9f873039eaa5d3001a4c6ac/formats/cont-en.lui"
--backend=pdf "./chap-one.tex"This is LuaTeX, Version
beta-0.63.0-2010090921
 \write18 enabled.
(chap-one.tex
jobcontrol      > resuming randomizer with 0.20642945552544

ConTeXt  ver: 2010.09.24 11:40 MKIV  fmt: 2010.9.25  int: english/english

system          : cont-new loaded
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv))
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-def.mkiv)
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-lua.mkiv)
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv)
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv))
system          : cont-err loaded
(/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
)
system          : chap-one.top loaded
(chap-one.top)
fonts           : preloading latin modern fonts
{/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}{/home/mboes/src/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
language        : language en is active
define fonts    > forced type otf of euler not found
define fonts    > font with name euler is not found
define fonts    > unknown font euler, loading aborted
define fonts    > unable to define euler.otf as \*pagella-euler7ptmmmr33*
define fonts    > forced type otf of euler not found
define fonts    > font with name euler is not found
define fonts    > unknown font euler, loading aborted
define fonts    > unable to define euler.otf as \*pagella-euler9ptmmmr22*
define fonts    > forced type otf of euler not found
define fonts    > font with name euler is not found
define fonts    > unknown font euler, loading aborted
define fonts    > unable to define euler.otf as \*pagella-euler12ptmmmr11*

[...]

I noticed that in my (recent) ConTeXt minimals tree, there was no
euler.odf, so I grabbed one from somewhere in the tree in
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/current, and placed it
$CONTEXTROOT/tex/texmf-fonts, but to no avail. I still get the same
error messages. I also ran luatools --generate and that doesn't make a
difference. I read through the typography and fonts chapters of the
manual but I didn't find specific information about installing fonts.
Am I doing it right? How can I get ConTeXt to recognize this standard
font?

Many thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: Euler font and context minimals
@ 2010-09-25 15:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.09.2010 um 16:51 schrieb Mathieu Boespflug:

> I noticed that in my (recent) ConTeXt minimals tree, there was no
> euler.odf, so I grabbed one from somewhere in the tree in
> http://minimals.contextgarden.net/minimals/current, and placed it
> $CONTEXTROOT/tex/texmf-fonts, but to no avail.

The correct path for the font is $CONTEXTROOT/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data

Wolfgang

* Re: Euler font and context minimals
@ 2010-09-25 16:32   ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-09-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

thanks for the tip! It works now. I searched all  over the wiki to see
if this is documented anywhere. It isn't so far as I can see. I can
add a section to the "Fonts" page on the wiki, but shouldn't this
information go in the manual instead?

Also, I still have a problem: many types of arrows don't show up
properly in the euler font. For example as in below:

\setupbodyfont[palatino]

\starttext
test $x \mapsto x^2$.

test $a \longrightarrow b$.

\switchtobodyfont[pagella-euler]

test $x \mapsto x^2$.

test $a \longrightarrow b$.

\stoptext

Best regards,

Mathieu

@ 2010-09-25 18:40     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-25 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 06:32:21PM +0200, Mathieu Boespflug wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> thanks for the tip! It works now. I searched all  over the wiki to see
> if this is documented anywhere. It isn't so far as I can see. I can
> add a section to the "Fonts" page on the wiki, but shouldn't this
> information go in the manual instead?
>
> Also, I still have a problem: many types of arrows don't show up
> properly in the euler font. For example as in below:

Neo Euler does not have all math arrows at the moment, if some one can
come with a list of standard math arrows (i.e. CM and AMS ones), I'll
see if I can add them.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Euler font and context minimals
@ 2010-09-26 12:01       ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-09-26 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Khaled,

> Neo Euler does not have all math arrows at the moment, if some one can
> come with a list of standard math arrows (i.e. CM and AMS ones), I'll
> see if I can add them.

I extracted the following list from the Tex Reference Card J.H.
Silverman. Seeing as that card is for plain TeX, I'd assume his list
of arrows is pretty standard. I don't know how much of a subset of all
the arrows available in CM is, but it's a start.

\longleftarrow
\leftarrow or \gets
\Longleftarrow
\Leftarrow
\longrightarrow
\rightarrow or \to
\Longrightarrow
\Rightarrow
\longleftrightarrow
\leftrightarrow
\Longleftrightarrow
\Leftrightarrow
\longmapsto
\mapsto
\hookleftarrow
\uparrow
\downarrow
\updownarrow
\nearrow
\nwarrow
\hookrightarrow
\Uparrow
\Downarrow
\Updownarrow
\searrow
\swarrow

@ 2010-10-05  9:36         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-10-05  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 02:01:09PM +0200, Mathieu Boespflug wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> > Neo Euler does not have all math arrows at the moment, if some one can
> > come with a list of standard math arrows (i.e. CM and AMS ones), I'll
> > see if I can add them.
>
> I extracted the following list from the Tex Reference Card J.H.
> Silverman. Seeing as that card is for plain TeX, I'd assume his list
> of arrows is pretty standard. I don't know how much of a subset of all
> the arrows available in CM is, but it's a start.
>
> \longleftarrow
[...]
> \swarrow

The above arrows are all available now (except that the long arrows have
no special versions for script sizes, I don't no if it is really
needed).

Regards,
 Khaled

--