* \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-26 16:46 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

one of the latest versions of MKIV breaks the following code:
    \edef\GNUPLOTfile  {\bufferprefix gnuplot-\GNUPLOTnumber}%
since \bufferprefix is not defined any more. Is there any reason for
that? In particular ...

meta-ini.mkiv:  {\bufferprefix mprun.#1}
page-app.mkiv:  {\immediate\openout\scratchwrite=\bufferprefix\@@texdim.tmp
page-app.mkiv:  {\readlocfile{\bufferprefix\@@texdim.tmp}\donothing\donothing}
page-app.mkiv:   \executesystemcommand{texexec
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --batch}%
page-app.mkiv:     \executesystemcommand{dvips \bufferprefix\@@texapp}%
page-app.mkiv:     \executesystemcommand{ps2pdf
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.ps \bufferprefix\@@texapp.pdf}%
page-app.mkiv:%      \executesystemcommand{texmfstart pstopdf
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.ps \bufferprefix\@@texapp.pdf}%
page-app.mkiv:        [\bufferprefix\@@texapp.\ifdone eps\else pdf\fi]

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-26 22:53 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-26 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.01.2011 um 17:46 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> Dear Hans,
>
> one of the latest versions of MKIV breaks the following code:
>    \edef\GNUPLOTfile  {\bufferprefix gnuplot-\GNUPLOTnumber}%
> since \bufferprefix is not defined any more. Is there any reason for
> that? In particular ...

MkIV stores the buffer content in memory and therefore no external
file was generated which needed a protected name with \bufferprefix.

When you save a buffer with \savebuffer[…] context adds \jobname
as prefix to the file, therefore you can use \jobname in \GNUPLOTfile.

You should also take a look into Adityas filter module.

Wolfgang

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-26 23:13   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-26 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 23:53, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 26.01.2011 um 17:46 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> Dear Hans,
>>
>> one of the latest versions of MKIV breaks the following code:
>>    \edef\GNUPLOTfile  {\bufferprefix gnuplot-\GNUPLOTnumber}%
>> since \bufferprefix is not defined any more. Is there any reason for
>> that? In particular ...
>
> MkIV stores the buffer content in memory and therefore no external
> file was generated which needed a protected name with \bufferprefix.
>
> When you save a buffer with \savebuffer[…] context adds \jobname
> as prefix to the file, therefore you can use \jobname in \GNUPLOTfile.

I see that the line
    core-fil.mkiv:\def\bufferprefix{\ifprotectbuffers\jobname-\fi}
has recently disappeared from ConTeXt (after 14th January in any case).

Well ... I can use "\jobname-" of course. I only didn't know if the
change was intentional or not, in particular because the command is
still referenced in quite some mkiv files.

Mojca

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-27  8:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-27  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-1-2011 11:53, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 26.01.2011 um 17:46 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> Dear Hans,
>>
>> one of the latest versions of MKIV breaks the following code:
>>     \edef\GNUPLOTfile  {\bufferprefix gnuplot-\GNUPLOTnumber}%
>> since \bufferprefix is not defined any more. Is there any reason for
>> that? In particular ...
>
> MkIV stores the buffer content in memory and therefore no external
> file was generated which needed a protected name with \bufferprefix.

Indeed, I'm in the process of removing some of these 'no longer needed
features', sorry for the noise.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-27 19:08   ` Aditya Mahajan
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-27 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 26.01.2011 um 17:46 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> Dear Hans,
>>
>> one of the latest versions of MKIV breaks the following code:
>>    \edef\GNUPLOTfile  {\bufferprefix gnuplot-\GNUPLOTnumber}%
>> since \bufferprefix is not defined any more. Is there any reason for
>> that? In particular ...
>
> You should also take a look into Adityas filter module.

On a unrelated note, I have been thinking if I can extend the filter
module to take care of features provided by lilypond and gnuplot modules.
IIUC, in both these modules, the input is transformed before being written
to an output file, then an external filter is run and the output is read
back again. If we  restrict ourselves to MkIV, then the transforming the
input can be done in a lua function; the filter module already takes care
of the rest of the book-keeping.

Do you think that it makes sense to have such a feature? Then you could
just define the gnuplot module as:

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter[GNUPLOT]
    [filter={gnuplot --appropriate options},
     conitnue=yes,
     transformation=thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation,
    ]

where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does all the
fancy processing.

What do you think?

Aditya

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-27 20:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-1-2011 8:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does all
> the fancy processing.

What exactly does it replace then? preprocessing in gnuplot and lilypond?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-27 23:36     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-27 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 20:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On a unrelated note, I have been thinking if I can extend the filter module
> to take care of features provided by lilypond and gnuplot modules. IIUC, in
> both these modules, the input is transformed before being written to an
> output file

It is not really transformed, at least not in the case of gnuplot. At
the moment it is composed out of three parts (so it should be easier
to handle):
a) set term <nameofterminal> <options>; set output
<jobname-gnuplot-number-term.extension>
b) everything inside \startGNUPLOTinclusions ...
\stopGNUPLOTinclusions (that could be covered by continue=yes to some
extent)
c) everything inside \startGNUPLOTscript ... \stopGNUPLOTscript

But if I was to rewrite the code for MKIV, I would try to pipe input
to gnuplot and pipe it back to ConTeXt to avoid zillions of
intermediate files (and maybe also to make it slightly faster).

> then an external filter is run and the output is read back
> again. If we  restrict ourselves to MkIV, then the transforming the input
> can be done in a lua function; the filter module already takes care of the
> rest of the book-keeping.
>
> Do you think that it makes sense to have such a feature? Then you could just
> define the gnuplot module as:
>
> \usemodule[filter]
>
> \defineexternalfilter[GNUPLOT]
>   [filter={gnuplot --appropriate options},
>    conitnue=yes,
>    transformation=thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation,
>   ]

What exactly would the transformation do? Append the first line (set
terminal etc.)?

Other functionality of current module includes features such as
   \setupGNUPLOTterminal[context][width=10cm,height=7cm,dashed=no]
but that is not part of your work.

Mojca

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-27 23:37       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-27 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 27-1-2011 8:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does all
>> the fancy processing.
>
> What exactly does it replace then? preprocessing in gnuplot and lilypond?

Yes... the preprocessing can be done more cleanly in lua. And these module
will not have to do the book-keeping of creating external files and
running programs on them. In addition, you get all the features of the
filter module. So one could set the output directory:

     \setupGNUPLOT[directory=gnuplot]

will create all temporary files in a 'gnuplot' directory.

If a figure depends on an external data-set, you can choose to always run
gnuplot on it.

     %by default only rerun if the file has changed
     \setupGNUPLOT[continue=yes]

     \startGNUPLOT[continue=no]
      ... read from data-set
     \stopGNUPLOT

etc. Not to mention less maintenance for everyone.

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-27 23:49         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-27 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 00:37, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> etc. Not to mention less maintenance for everyone.

Well ... I do almost-zero-maintainance as must be apparent from the
logs if anyone keeps them :) :) :)

We can take a look together to see if the modules can be made to work
nicely with each other.

Mojca

(But ... the gnuplot module needs to keep working for MKII. I don't
want to sacrifice that.)

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-28  1:00           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-28  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 00:37, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> etc. Not to mention less maintenance for everyone.
>
> Well ... I do almost-zero-maintainance as must be apparent from the
> logs if anyone keeps them :) :) :)

:)

> We can take a look together to see if the modules can be made to work
> nicely with each other.

Lets take this off-list.

> (But ... the gnuplot module needs to keep working for MKII. I don't
> want to sacrifice that.)

Can you send me the latest version of the gnuplot module?
Aditya

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-28  8:32           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-28  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-1-2011 12:49, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 00:37, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> etc. Not to mention less maintenance for everyone.
>
> Well ... I do almost-zero-maintainance as must be apparent from the
> logs if anyone keeps them :) :) :)
>
> We can take a look together to see if the modules can be made to work
> nicely with each other.
>
> Mojca
>
> (But ... the gnuplot module needs to keep working for MKII. I don't
> want to sacrifice that.)

just make two modules then and freeze the mkii one; it's painful to have
all that testing for version code in there and cripple the mkiv support
by that

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-28 13:55     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-01-28 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-01-27 um 20:08 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On a unrelated note, I have been thinking if I can extend the filter
> module to take care of features provided by lilypond and gnuplot
> modules. IIUC, in both these modules, the input is transformed
> before being written to an output file, then an external filter is
> run and the output is read back again. If we  restrict ourselves to
> MkIV, then the transforming the input can be done in a lua function;
> the filter module already takes care of the rest of the book-keeping.
>
> Do you think that it makes sense to have such a feature? Then you
> could just define the gnuplot module as:
>
> \usemodule[filter]
>
> \defineexternalfilter[GNUPLOT]
>   [filter={gnuplot --appropriate options},
>    conitnue=yes,
>    transformation=thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation,
>   ]
>
> where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does
> all the fancy processing.
>
> What do you think?

I already replaced the LilyPond module by a filter setup, see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond

It doesn't work completely the same, but good enough.
And since every user has different needs, the filter approach is more
flexible and thus better than a bunch of hardcoded setup options.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: \bufferprefix in MKIV
@ 2011-01-28 20:18       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-28 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-01-27 um 20:08 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> On a unrelated note, I have been thinking if I can extend the filter module
>> to take care of features provided by lilypond and gnuplot modules. IIUC, in
>> both these modules, the input is transformed before being written to an
>> output file, then an external filter is run and the output is read back
>> again. If we  restrict ourselves to MkIV, then the transforming the input
>> can be done in a lua function; the filter module already takes care of the
>> rest of the book-keeping.
>>
>> Do you think that it makes sense to have such a feature? Then you could
>> just define the gnuplot module as:
>>
>> \usemodule[filter]
>>
>> \defineexternalfilter[GNUPLOT]
>>  [filter={gnuplot --appropriate options},
>>   conitnue=yes,
>>   transformation=thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation,
>>  ]
>>
>> where thirddata.GNUPLOT.transformation is a lua function that does all the
>> fancy processing.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I already replaced the LilyPond module by a filter setup, see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond
>
> It doesn't work completely the same, but good enough.
> And since every user has different needs, the filter approach is more
> flexible and thus better than a bunch of hardcoded setup options.

Making the interface configurable is not too difficult. Here[1] is an
example that replicates the main functionality of the gnuplot module (a
separate inclusions environment and named figures, using the pdf
terminal). I will also look at the functionality of the lilypond module in
detail and see if I can replicate all features.

[1]: https://github.com/adityam/filter/blob/dev/tests/gnuplot.tex

Aditya