* problem with printing pdf files (MKIV on Mac)
@ 2011-03-25 13:31 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-25 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm using ConTeXt MKIV 2011.03.11 11:45 (I will try to upgrade first).
When I try to print the document from Mac (Skim.app) to two different
printers, I get pure junk on both of them (bold and italic fonts come
out semi-ok, but regular doesn't). If I print an older document or if
I compile the same document with MKII, the document prints out fine on
the same printer. The document also prints out fine when printing from
Linux.

I'm using one network PostScript printer and one network printer that
is most probably using PCL drivers and both generate junk. I'm using
"palatino" typescript.

Mac is well known for displaying Word-generated documents as
almost-pure-junk (one gets a different font and screwed up kerning
instead of the original font that one would see in Word or in
generated PDF when opened with Adobe Acrobat; but I'm not sure if it
is Apple or Microsoft that have buggy software in that case) and for
crashing on documents using smooth shading patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestion how I could figure out what is wrong
with the document? I would like to figure out if it is LuaTeX's or
Apple's fault that it behaves so weird. (Can I send a document to
PostScript printer on specific IP from a Mac without having to use
Apple's libraries for handling PDF?)

Mojca