* Newbie: floats with Context 2009 (Ubuntu). How do I use this workaround?
@ 2010-07-03 20:32 Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-03 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
I am completely new to Context. I am using 2009 Context, Tex packages from
Ubuntu ppa packages.
From the mailing list I got this workaround in the form of this
attachment.tex file, but I can't figure in which file I have to put the
macros.
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/049964.html

Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:
>* Marius (2010-06-04 11:30):
*>>* Hello, I can't get it to work too. When we could expect it to be
*>>* fixed? Or maybe somebody knows a work around to place two floats side
*>>* by side?
*
Looks like the bit of page-str.mkii that dealt with local floats
is not included in page-str.mkiv (which makes sense, as it looks
like it does not belong there).

Copying those macros verbatim into the test file works, so it
is probably just an oversight that they do not appear elsewhere
in mkiv. (see attachment)

Best wishes,
Taco

From: luigi scarso @ 2010-07-03 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know what is your problem,
but minimals is the better way  to use context under linux 32 bit
Open a shell as a root and then
#> mkdir -p /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03
#> cd /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03
#> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
#> bash first-setup.sh  ## wait a bit...
#> cd tex
#> . setuptex

It should be work ok now

--
luigi

* Re: Newbie: floats with Context 2009 (Ubuntu). How do I use this workaround?
@ 2010-07-03 21:45   ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-03 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your answer.
I tried what you suggest a while back but the installation process seemed
stalled as there was no activity for a couple of hours. I wondered if
everything was hung or whether I was being impatient, but I aborted it. Any
guess on how long it would take to install (I have a dsl connection)?
Also, I don't understand this command:
rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
Does it mean I don't have to uninstall by Ubuntu packages? Is the period at
the end necessary?
Thank you in advance for clarifying those points if you can, and then I'll
proceed!
--Pascale

@ 2010-07-03 21:55     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-07-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 23:45, Pascale Julia wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
> I tried what you suggest a while back but the installation process seemed
> stalled as there was no activity for a couple of hours. I wondered if
> everything was hung or whether I was being impatient, but I aborted it. Any
> guess on how long it would take to install (I have a dsl connection)?

The installation is about 200 MB, but it should not be staled; the
first few files that are downloaded are around 5MB. (However it was
broken for the last few days.)

> Also, I don't understand this command:
> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
> Does it mean I don't have to uninstall by Ubuntu packages?

You don't need to uninstall anything. Just put the minimals at any
location you want.

> Is the period at
> the end necessary?

You don't need a dot, but you need any valid location and dot means
"download here".

Mojca

* Re: Newbie: floats with Context 2009 (Ubuntu). How do I use this workaround?
@ 2010-07-03 22:10       ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

My last question if I may:
I am using Kile as an editor, and warming up to using Emacs. How is this
minimals installation accessed by either of those two programs?
Thank you again in advance.
--Pascale

@ 2010-07-03 22:26         ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-03 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I installed the minimals, it went fast.

But I get this:
pascale-desktop ~ # context --version
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
pascale-desktop ~ # tex --version
TeX 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
kpathsea version 5.0.0
Copyright 2009 D.E. Knuth.
...(etc)
pascale-desktop ~ #

Obviously, I do not know where I am in my computer!
Do you think you can help?
--Pascale

@ 2010-07-04  5:38         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-07-04  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 00:10, Pascale Julia wrote:
> My last question if I may:

So I may not reply to the other question then? :)

> I am using Kile as an editor, and warming up to using Emacs. How is this
> minimals installation accessed by either of those two programs?

I don't know those two programs in detail. But as a general rule, you
need to add
    /path/to/tex/texmf-linuxorwhateverelse/bin
to PATH. If you run Kile or Emacs from terminal, all you need to do is
to use ". /path/to/setupetex" or adjust path before you run Kile or
Emacs. You can also put that into .bashrc. I have no idea how to
handle PATH if you run Kile from "Start Menu", but PATH adjustments
need to be somewhere under settings. Under Kile you can just as well
adjust PATH in command-line.

For Emacs: you don't need any adjustment unless you also run ConTeXt
documents from within Emacs. I use Vim in one terminal and compile
documents in the other.

Mojca

* Re: Newbie: floats with Context 2009 (Ubuntu). How do I use this workaround?
@ 2010-07-04  5:39           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-07-04  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 00:26, Pascale Julia wrote:
> Ok, I installed the minimals, it went fast.
>
> But I get this:
> pascale-desktop ~ # context --version
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

In case that you have already set up the new installation (either by
running ". /path/to/setuptex" or by adding
/path/to/tex/texmf-linuxorwhatever/bin), you need to run
    luatools --generate
first. This might be kind-of-bug that has not been solved properly
yet. (And it is a low-priority since there's an easy workaround. Also,
it seems to happen only once after installation. We plan to rewrite
some parts, and fixing this will be part of that rewrite.)

Mojca

* Re: Newbie: floats with Context 2009 (Ubuntu). How do I use this workaround?
@ 2010-07-06 16:49           ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, it got hectic starting Monday
morning.

I am sorry but I do not understand what exactly I am supposed to do.

I installed following those instructions from Luigi, on a previous message:
Open a shell as a root and then
#> mkdir -p /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-
03
#> cd /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03
#> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
#> bash first-setup.sh  ## wait a bit...
#> cd tex
#> . setuptex

When I run luatools --generate, I get this :

LuaTools | fileio: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
LuaTools | fileio: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
LuaTools | fileio: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/'
LuaTools | fileio: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to
'{$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/texmf{-local,.local,}/web2c}'
LuaTools | fileio: loading configuration file
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
LuaTools | fileio: preparing 'configuration' for '/usr/share/texmf/web2c'
LuaTools | fileio: 'configuration' saved in
'/home/pascale/luatex-cache/context/6300afb4995fe38c77e9b86ed1ef1028/trees/f7d1b3c25487ab1e1035aff1c53b90da.lua'
LuaTools | fileio: 'configuration' compiled to
'/home/pascale/luatex-cache/context/6300afb4995fe38c77e9b86ed1ef1028/trees/f7d1b3c25487ab1e1035aff1c53b90da.luc'
LuaTools | fileio: locating list of '/home/pascale/.texmf-config'
LuaTools | fileio: tex locator '/home/pascale/.texmf-config' found
LuaTools | fileio: hash '/home/pascale/.texmf-config' appended
LuaTools | fileio: locating list of '/home/pascale/.texmf-var'
LuaTools | fileio: tex locator '/home/pascale/.texmf-var' found
LuaTools | fileio: hash '/home/pascale/.texmf-var' appended
LuaTools | fileio: locating list of '/home/pascale/texmf'
LuaTools | fileio: tex locator '/home/pascale/texmf' not found
LuaTools | fileio: locating list of '/etc/texmf'
 (etc...)

The context executable is located in:

/opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03/tex/texmf-linux/bin

What am I supposed to put into my .profile file?

export PATH = /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03/tex/texmf-linux/bin    (??)
Is it what you meant by

"I don't know those two programs in detail. But as a general rule, you
need to add
   /path/to/tex/texmf-
linuxorwhateverelse/bin
to PATH." ?

Is it then that I have to run luatools --generate?

I am sorry but I am not famiiar with this type of installation, and I am
having a hard time figuring out the difference between the use of
"/path/to/" as in /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03/tex/texmf-linux/bin and
"/path/to" as in ". /path/to/setupetex"...

I hope you don't mind my questions and that I can finish this installation.

Thank you again very much in advance.
--Pascale

@ 2010-07-06 17:19             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-07-06 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Pascale Julia wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, it got hectic starting Monday
> morning.
>
> I am sorry but I do not understand what exactly I am supposed to do.
>
> I installed following those instructions from Luigi, on a previous message:
> Open a shell as a root and then
> #> mkdir -p /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-
> 03
> #> cd /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03
> #> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
> #> bash first-setup.sh  ## wait a bit...
> #> cd tex
> #> . setuptex

Which shell are you using? You can know that by looking at the output of

echo $SHELL

In some shells you need to run

    source setuptex

rather than

    . setuptex

What happens if you run "source setuptex"?

Aditya

* Re: Newbie: floats with Context 2009 (Ubuntu). How do I use this workaround?
@ 2010-07-06 17:30               ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-06 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Thank you for answering.

I run bash.

Here are the results of the command ("no file or folder of this type") :

pascale@pascale-desktop ~ $ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
pascale@pascale-desktop ~ $ source setuptex
bash: setuptex: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
pascale@pascale-desktop ~ $ .setuptex
.setuptex: command not found

Here it is!
--Pascale

@ 2010-07-06 17:35                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-07-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Pascale Julia wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for answering.
>
> I run bash.
>
> Here are the results of the command ("no file or folder of this type") :
>
> pascale@pascale-desktop ~ $ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
> pascale@pascale-desktop ~ $ source setuptex
> bash: setuptex: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
> pascale@pascale-desktop ~ $ .setuptex
> .setuptex: command not found

Try  this:

 	source /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03/tex/setuptex
 	which luatools

and (note the space between the . and the command)

@ 2010-07-06 17:35               ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, my previous answer to your question marked as "stupidous message".

Here is the correct answer:

pascale@pascale-desktop /opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03/tex $ source
setuptex
Setting "/opt/context/minimals-2010-07-03/tex" as ConTeXt root.

Thank you for your patience,

@ 2010-07-06 17:37                   ` Pascale Julia
From: Pascale Julia @ 2010-07-06 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)