* Re: Bibliography contains references not cited in the text
@ 2010-11-26 18:11 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-11-26 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM,  Mathieu Boespflug <mboes@tweag.net> wrote:

>>> I am having trouble with the bib module. The bibliography section of
>>> my article contains references that I have not cited in the text.
>>> These are in my .bib file, but it seems to me that references that
>>> were not cited in the text were ignored when constructing the
>>> bibliography.
>>
>> Hi,
>> When you add
>>
>> \nocite[Aucremanne2005]
>> \nocite[Fabiani2007]
>>

>> before \section{References}
>> these non cited publications will show up in your bibliography. (At
>> least it does here with Minimals of 24 november)
>
> ... which is the way it should be, no? The problem of the original
> poster is that these entries should not appear in the bibliography
> despite being in the .bib file, because they aren't mentionned at all
> in the main text.
>
> I can confirm this issue. I have run into myself in typesetting my thesis.

Hi,
Apparently I misunderstood the problem in the original post. If you do
not want to mention uncited literature in your bibliography leave the
argument of  \placepublications[] empty  or comment out
%[criterium=all].

Regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Bibliography contains references not cited in the text
@ 2010-11-27  2:46 ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-11-27  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all who replied to this.  If there is a bug, I am sure Hans
will fix it. That is assuring.

Robert, your suggestion helps removing uncited articles from the
references...however, the references I got were not sorted anymore.

@ 2010-12-02  1:49         ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-02  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a ton for doing all of this, Hans.

Thanks also to all other developers of Context.

@ 2010-12-01  9:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-01  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-11-30 22:02     ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-11-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps, by coincidence the example that I sent had the bbl file
sorted. But the full file does not have the references sorted. Does
this mean I have to first get the bbl file sorted. If so, how do I do
that?

Why is Hans quiet if this is a bug? He usually always says something
about when he will fix it.

Thanks.

@ 2010-11-29 16:09   ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-11-29 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-11-29 12:00 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-11-29 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/29/2010 12:41 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:46 AM,  Curiouslearn<curiouslearn@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all who replied to this.  If there is a bug, I am sure Hans
>> will fix it. That is assuring.
>>
>> Robert, your suggestion helps removing uncited articles from the
>> references...however, the references I got were not sorted anymore.
>>

> No, indeed they were not sorted. But I saw that the the .bbl file was
> sorted. I then found that when you add sorttype=bbl as an argument to
> \setuppublications  (so, in your example use
> \setuppublications[refcommand=authoryear,sorttype=bbl]) and use
> \placepublications[] you will get the cited publications sorted
> alphabetically by author name.
>
> I later saw that this solution was already given by Aditya Mahajan in
> ntg-context Digest, Vol 76, Issue 141	Date: 	29 oktober 2010, Message
> 4, Subject:  sorttype for bibtex

On top of that, this is also documented in the bib module's manual.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bibliography contains references not cited in the text
@ 2010-11-29 11:41 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-11-29 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-11-26 12:27   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-11-26 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/26/2010 01:07 PM, Mathieu Boespflug wrote:

> Taco, if it can help you track down the bug, IIRC, this problem
> appeared sometime around beginning of October, though the bib module
> of previous versions of mkIV had other bugs that made it unusable
> (such as sorting by author not working).

The main problem is that the mkiv version of the bib module is a bit
of a mystery to me: the code is written by Hans.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bibliography contains references not cited in the text
@ 2010-11-26 12:07 ` Mathieu Boespflug
From: Mathieu Boespflug @ 2010-11-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I am having trouble with the bib module. The bibliography section of
>> my article contains references that I have not cited in the text.
>> These are in my .bib file, but it seems to me that references that
>> were not cited in the text were ignored when constructing the
>> bibliography.
>
> Hi,
> When you add
>
> \nocite[Aucremanne2005]
> \nocite[Fabiani2007]
>

> before \section{References}
> these non cited publications will show up in your bibliography. (At
> least it does here with Minimals of 24 november)

... which is the way it should be, no? The problem of the original
poster is that these entries should not appear in the bibliography
despite being in the .bib file, because they aren't mentionned at all
in the main text.

I can confirm this issue. I have run into myself in typesetting my thesis.

Taco, if it can help you track down the bug, IIRC, this problem
appeared sometime around beginning of October, though the bib module
of previous versions of mkIV had other bugs that made it unusable
(such as sorting by author not working).

Also, there is another bug in the bib module, which i find very
strange. If we augment the OP's .bib file with two more entries, and
cite those, then one of them does *not* appear in the bibliography
despite being cited. It also creates a big blank in the bibliography.
Here's a minimal example. bib file attached. In my real thesis
bibliography (over 200 entries), there are several such entries
missing and several big blanks of varying sizes in the Bibliography
section.

Regards,

Mathieu

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setuplayout[backspace=1.25in,
width=middle,topspace=0.75in,headerheight=0.5in,bottomspace=0.75in,footerheight=0.5in]
\setupwhitespace[medium]
\setuppagenumbering[location=footer]

\setuphead[section][textstyle=bold, numberstyle=bold, continue=yes]

\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex[database=templib]
\setuppublications[refcommand=authoryear]
\setupcite[authoryears][left=,right=]

\starttext
\section{Main Body}
This file is for testing whether the bibliography works. There seems
to be some problem.

Let us first cite \cite[Aghion1991], then we will cite
\cite[authoryears][Trefler1993].

In the new para we cite: \cite[Segal2003]

Now let's cite two more articles: the old  \cite[reynolds:defints1972]
and the new \cite[reynolds:defints].

\section{References}
\placepublications[criterium=all]
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: templib.bib --]
[-- Type: text/x-bibtex, Size: 3997 bytes --]

@article{Trefler1993,
author = {Trefler, Daniel},
doi = {10.2307/2527182},
file = {:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Trefler - 1993 - The Ignorant Monopolist Optimal Learning with Endogenous Information.pdf:pdf},
issn = {00206598},
journal = {International Economic Review},
keywords = {Demand uncertainty,Monopoly,Unknown demand},
mendeley-tags = {Demand uncertainty,Monopoly,Unknown demand},
month = aug,
number = {3},
pages = {565},
title = {{The Ignorant Monopolist: Optimal Learning with Endogenous Information}},
url = {http://www.jstor.org/stable/2527182?origin=crossref},
volume = {34},
year = {1993}
}
@article{Segal2003,
author = {Segal, Ilya R.},
file = {:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Segal - 2003 - Optimal Pricing Mechanisms with Unknown Demand(2).pdf:pdf;:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Segal - 2003 - Optimal Pricing Mechanisms with Unknown Demand.pdf:pdf;:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Segal - 2003 - Optimal Pricing Mechanisms with Unknown Demand.tex:tex},
issn = {1556-5068},
journal = {American Economic Review},
number = {3},
pages = {509--529},
title = {{Optimal Pricing Mechanisms with Unknown Demand}},
volume = {93},
year = {2003}
}
@article{Aghion1991,
author = {Aghion, Philippe and Bolton, Patrick and Harris, Christopher and Jullien, Bruno},
doi = {10.2307/2297825},
file = {:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Aghion et al. - 1991 - Optimal Learning by Experimentation(2).pdf:pdf;:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Aghion et al. - 1991 - Optimal Learning by Experimentation.pdf:pdf},
issn = {00346527},
journal = {The Review of Economic Studies},
month = jun,
number = {4},
pages = {621},
title = {{Optimal Learning by Experimentation}},
url = {http://www.jstor.org/stable/2297825?origin=crossref},
volume = {58},
year = {1991}
}
@article{Aucremanne2005,
author = {Aucremanne, L. and Druant, M.},
file = {:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Be et al. - Unknown - WO R K I N G PA P E R S E R I E S N O . 4 4 8 M A R C H 2 0 0 5 BEHAVIOUR IN BELGIUM WHAT CAN BE LEARNED FROM AN AD HOC SURVEY by Luc Aucremanne and Martine Druant WO R K I N G PA P E R S E R I E S WHAT CAN BE LEARNED FROM.pdf:pdf},
journal = {National Bank of Belgium Working Paper No. 65 - Research Series},
title = {{Price-Setting Behavior in Belgium: What can be learned from an ad-hoc survey?}},
url = {http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract\_id=668248},
year = {2005}
}
@article{Fabiani2007,
author = {Fabiani, S. and Gattulli, A. and Sabbatini, R.},
file = {:Users/blbgse/Library/Application Support/Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Fabiani, Gattulli, Sabbatini - 2007 - The Pricing Behavior of Italian Firms.pdf:pdf},
journal = {area: how firms set prices},
number = {515},
pages = {110},
publisher = {Oxford University Press, USA},
title = {{The Pricing Behavior of Italian Firms}},
url = {http://books.google.com/books?hl=en\&amp;lr=\&amp;id=2NYtQ3DVY3cC\&amp;oi=fnd\&amp;pg=PA110\&amp;dq=The+Pricing+Behavior+of+Italian+Firms:+New+Survey+Evidence+on+Price+Stickiness\&amp;ots=L-0XAawg3h\&amp;sig=CbdHk4CnJ9RQIFwiu5XwYUYtxzQ},
year = {2007}
}

@conference{reynolds:defints1972,
  author    = {John C. Reynolds},
  title     = {Definitional interpreters for higher-order programming languages},
  booktitle = {{Proceedings of the ACM Annual Conference}},
  year      = {1972},
  month     = {august},
  pages     = {717--740},
  volume    = {2},
  publisher = {ACM, New York},
  note      = {Republié en tant que \cite[reynolds:defints].}
}

@article{reynolds:defints,
  title={{Definitional interpreters for higher-order programming languages}},
  author={Reynolds, J.C.},
  journal={Higher-order and symbolic computation},
  volume={11},
  number={4},
  pages={363--397},
  issn={1388-3690},
  year={1998},
  publisher={Springer}
}

* Re: Bibliography contains references not cited in the text
@ 2010-11-26 11:29 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-11-26 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-11-26  8:46 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-11-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/25/2010 07:40 PM, Curiouslearn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having trouble with the bib module. The bibliography section of
> my article contains references that I have not cited in the text.
> These are in my .bib file, but it seems to me that references that
> were not cited in the text were ignored when constructing the
> bibliography.

Verified, this is a bug in mkiv. I have no idea how to fix this,
sorry.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Bibliography contains references not cited in the text
@ 2010-11-25 18:40 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-11-25 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)