* increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-21 15:58 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am trying to use the \copypages command to include a pdf file,
say file3pages.pdf with three pages in my context
document. First, I issued the command:

    \copypages[file3pages.pdf]

The pages from file3pages.pdf are too close to the left
margin. There is not enough white space on the left whereas,
there is a lot of space on the right of the included pages. So, I tried

    \hskip 0.5in \copypages[file3pages.pdf]

This creates appropriate space on the left of the included pages,
but only for the first page of file3pages.pdf. The second and
third pages of file3pages.pdf are the same as before (too close
to the left margin).

How can I apply \hskip 0.5in to each of the pages included from the
file3pages.pdf.
Can someone please suggest if there is a better way to
increase the space on the left. Please note that the included
pages do not respect the margins I have set for the document.

Thanks a lot.

* Re: increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-22 14:16 ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-22 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please help me with this? I suppose I have not received an
answer because there is no minimal example. I thought it would be
straightforward for someone in the forum without seeing an example.

Anyhow I have attached a pdf file (includethis.pdf) and a tex file in
which I am trying to include pages from the pdf file. I want to
increase the left side margin on the pages on which included file is
present.

Thank you in advance.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the \copypages command to include a pdf file,
> say file3pages.pdf with three pages in my context
> document. First, I issued the command:
>
>    \copypages[file3pages.pdf]
>
> The pages from file3pages.pdf are too close to the left
> margin. There is not enough white space on the left whereas,
> there is a lot of space on the right of the included pages. So, I tried
>
>    \hskip 0.5in \copypages[file3pages.pdf]
>
> This creates appropriate space on the left of the included pages,
> but only for the first page of file3pages.pdf. The second and
> third pages of file3pages.pdf are the same as before (too close
> to the left margin).
>
> How can I apply \hskip 0.5in to each of the pages included from the
> file3pages.pdf.
> Can someone please suggest if there is a better way to
> increase the space on the left. Please note that the included
> pages do not respect the margins I have set for the document.
>
> Thanks a lot.

[-- Attachment #2: minimal_example.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: includethis.pdf --]

* Re: increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-23 11:11   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-23 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone? If it cannot be done, I would appreciate if someone can say that. I

Thanks you.

@ 2011-02-23 11:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-23 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-2-2011 12:11, Curiouslearn wrote:
> Anyone? If it cannot be done, I would appreciate if someone can say that. I

i have no time now, but you can always do

\startTEXpage
\hskip1cm\externalfigure[...][page=1]
\stopTEXpage

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-23 11:26       ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-23 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks very much Hans. I suppose I will have to issue the command for
each page separately then (with possibly a loop). I was wondering if
there was an option in \copypages or some other command that applied
to each page of the PDF file. But having heard from you, now I know
there isn't. Thanks again. Context is really awesome.

@ 2011-02-23 11:33     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-02-23 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Curiouslearn" (if you're older than 13 years, I'd appreciate a real name), it's not easy to see what you want to do. The included pages, like the document where you want to include them, are letter size. If you simply include them, they will take the entire width. The small margin left and big margin right are already in you includethis.pdf. If you want more margin left, all you can do is scale the image. Or adjust the papersize of the file you want to include. But if you want to have some special effect (like pushing part of your included image off the page), you'll have to use something like \externalfigure, as Hans suggested. Btw, if you know the number of pages you want to include, it's relatively trivial to write a simple loop, both in mkii (with \dorecurse and \recurselevel) or with
  a lua loop.

Thomas

@ 2011-02-23 12:41       ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-23 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

I am preparing notes for my lectures and I would like to include some
online news articles (such as NY times) that I save as PDF,  in my
notes (these notes are for me). When I save these online articles as
pdf, I often get a small left margin and big right margin (just as in
includethis.pdf; I deliberately made it similar to these news
articles).

I will try to do this using lua loop. I should learn it. I am learning
so many new things currently that I have not had a chance to learn
Lua.

I was wondering if Aditya's filter module could be used to use Python
instead of Lua, but I suppose I should ask that as a new question.

Thanks for your help.

Bharat

@ 2011-02-23 14:10         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-02-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 23, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Curiouslearn wrote:

> I will try to do this using lua loop. I should learn it. I am learning
> so many new things currently that I have not had a chance to learn
> Lua.

lua is not all that different from other languages such as python or perl; once you've grasped the concept of one syntax, you should be able to learn others and write lua code pretty soon.

> I was wondering if Aditya's filter module could be used to use Python
> instead of Lua, but I suppose I should ask that as a new question.

Aditya's filter module is for highlighting code, it will not run python code within luatex. I think Luigi once played with a module that allowed embedding python within luatex (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso#Luatex_hosts_python and http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/luatex_lunatic), but I think he has since given up on this project.

As for the lua loop, maybe this can be helpful (this is how I create "offprints" of my scanned articles):

\startluacode
  for i = 1,21 do
  tex.sprint('\\hskip1cm\\externalfigure[includethis][page=' .. i .. ',height=\\textheight]')
  end
\stopluacode

tex.sprint() passes its argument to the typesetting engine, '..' concatenates the lua variable 'i' into this code. Od course, this is mkiv only.

That should get you started.

Best

Thomas

* Re: increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-23 14:22           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-23 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Curiouslearn wrote:
>
>> I will try to do this using lua loop. I should learn it. I am learning
>> so many new things currently that I have not had a chance to learn
>> Lua.
>>
> lua is not all that different from other languages such as python or perl; once you've grasped the concept of one syntax, you should be able to learn others and write lua code pretty soon.
>
>> I was wondering if Aditya's filter module could be used to use Python
>> instead of Lua, but I suppose I should ask that as a new question.
>
> Aditya's filter module is for highlighting code, it will not run python code within luatex.
hm, no
http://modules.contextgarden.net/filter
Short description:	A module to run external programs on the contents
of start-stop evironment

>I think Luigi once played with a module that allowed embedding python within luatex (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso#Luatex_hosts_python and http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/luatex_lunatic), but I think he has since given up on this project.
Yes, it's too much old and messy code.
Let's say that it's something to do, sooner or later (more later than sooner) .

--
luigi

* Re: increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-23 15:27         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-02-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Curiouslearn wrote:

> I will try to do this using lua loop. I should learn it. I am learning
> so many new things currently that I have not had a chance to learn
> Lua.
>
> I was wondering if Aditya's filter module could be used to use Python
> instead of Lua, but I suppose I should ask that as a new question.

It is easy to do this in TeX, so no need to go to lua (or python).

Call

\getfiguredimensions[filename]

Then you can use

\noffigurepages
\figurenaturalwidth
\figurenaturalheight

to place each page of the figure. Something like:

\getfiguredimensions[filename]
\dorecurse{\noffigurepages}
{\externalfigure[figurename][page=\recurselevel]}

Aditya

* Re: increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-23 15:33           ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-02-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.02.2011 um 16:27 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Curiouslearn wrote:
>
>> I will try to do this using lua loop. I should learn it. I am learning
>> so many new things currently that I have not had a chance to learn
>> Lua.
>>
>> I was wondering if Aditya's filter module could be used to use Python
>> instead of Lua, but I suppose I should ask that as a new question.
>
> It is easy to do this in TeX, so no need to go to lua (or python).
>
> Call
>
> \getfiguredimensions[filename]

It seems that this is broken with the newest beta – at least for me. Can someone confirm?

Greeting
	Andreas

* Re: increase space on the left of pages included using \copypages
@ 2011-02-23 15:53           ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-23 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all. This time around I will use the lua route since I know
the number of pages and it seems more natural to me...I will
understand what it is doing even if I look at the thing after one
month.

Bharat

@ 2011-02-23 16:01             ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-23 Andreas Harder <aharder@uni-koblenz.de> wrote:

> > \getfiguredimensions[filename]
>
> It seems that this is broken with the newest beta – at least for me. Can
> someone confirm?

Confirmed on solaris x86
LuaTeX   ver: beta-0.65.0-2010121317
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.02.18 17:17 and