* [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 19:27 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.stixfonts.org/

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 19:58 ` taco
From: taco @ 2010-05-28 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> http://www.stixfonts.org/

Now I'll have to back to waiting for Duke Nukem 3D again ...

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 20:06 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-05-28 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> http://www.stixfonts.org/

# pdffonts STIXIntUpBol.otf.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Error: Mismatch between font type and embedded font file
STIXIntegralsUp-Bold                 Type 1C           yes no  no       7  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no       5  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            no  no  no       6  0

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 20:20   ` taco
From: taco @ 2010-05-28 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>> http://www.stixfonts.org/
>
> # pdffonts STIXIntUpBol.otf.pdf
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> Error: Mismatch between font type and embedded font file
> STIXIntegralsUp-Bold                 Type 1C           yes no  no       7  0
> Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no       5  0
> Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            no  no  no       6  0

Some xpdf problem, I fear. Acroread is happy with those PDFs.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 21:00   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-28 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-5-2010 9:58, taco wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>> http://www.stixfonts.org/
>
> Now I'll have to back to waiting for Duke Nukem 3D again ...

I suppose that Luigi is already testing things, and will report on it in
detail, but here's a quick and dirty check on what's in there:

\starttypescript [math] [stix] [name]
     \definefontsynonym[MathRoman][file:stixgeneral.otf] [features=math]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [stix] [name] % why 'italic' infull and 'bol'
without 'd'?
     \definefontsynonym[Serif]          [file:stixgeneral.otf]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [file:stixgeneralbol.otf]
[features=defaulth]
     \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [file:stixgeneralitalic.otf]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][file:stixgeneralbolita.otf]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[stix]
     \definetypeface [stix] [rm] [serif] [stix] [default]
     \definetypeface [stix] [mm] [math]  [stix] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[stix]
\setupbodyfont[stix]

\usemodule[fnt-25]

\startbuffer[mathtest]
     \begingroup\mm\mr\showmathfontcharacters\endgroup
\stopbuffer

Well, sort of as expected ... no opentype math font at all ... I wonder
what took 'm so long ... okay, luatex/mkiv could be wrong and is no
reference and could well be unable to handle an opentype math font but
the only reference to math in the font is to the copyright holders, i.e.
no math table, so i wonder what programs like msword can do with it.

Okay, I could make a virtual font but gimme a reason. So, it looks like
Khaled has to do his magic and make a proper 'derived work' unless we
want to wait till 1.1 which will show up end 2010.

The good news is that there are lots of glyphs.  Kerns indeed but only a
liga feature (interesting with a NLD variant).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 21:21 ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2010-05-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne petek 28. maja 2010 ob 21:27:44 je Taco Hoekwater napisal(a):
> http://www.stixfonts.org/

Are these any good? It sounds like an epic thing, but why is that so?

Cheers,
Matija
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
www: http://matija.suklje.name

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 21:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-28 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-5-2010 11:21, Matija Šuklje wrote:
> Dne petek 28. maja 2010 ob 21:27:44 je Taco Hoekwater napisal(a):
>> http://www.stixfonts.org/
>
> Are these any good? It sounds like an epic thing, but why is that so?

depends on your needs, the current otf version is probably usable for
primary school math (no large operators and so in the core font)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 21:49     ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2010-05-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dne petek 28. maja 2010 ob 23:44:10 je Hans Hagen napisal(a):
> > Are these any good? It sounds like an epic thing, but why is that so?
> depends on your needs, the current otf version is probably usable for
> primary school math (no large operators and so in the core font)

Oh, so it's primarily a font aimed for mathematical equations and suchlike?

Cheers,
Matija
--

@ 2010-05-28 22:05     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-05-28 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/stix
--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 22:09       ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-05-28 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/stix

  Impressive reaction time from all of you...

  And what about Khaled's promise? He vowed to release an OpenType
version of the STIX fonts with MATH table within one week of their
official release ;-)

	Arthur

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 22:18         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-28 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-5-2010 12:09, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/stix
>
>    Impressive reaction time from all of you...
>
>    And what about Khaled's promise? He vowed to release an OpenType
> version of the STIX fonts with MATH table within one week of their
> official release ;-)

He's probably still deciding on either or not to agree to the license as
one needs to confirm explicitly -)

Which reminds me that i need to add typescripts for the xits fonts,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 22:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-28 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-5-2010 11:49, Matija Šuklje wrote:
> Dne petek 28. maja 2010 ob 23:44:10 je Hans Hagen napisal(a):
>>> Are these any good? It sounds like an epic thing, but why is that so?
>> depends on your needs, the current otf version is probably usable for
>> primary school math (no large operators and so in the core font)
>
> Oh, so it's primarily a font aimed for mathematical equations and suchlike?

Or the Guinness Book of Records with the biggest repertoire of math
symbols (althoug cambria probably has more) .

\starttext
\showfont[file:stixgeneral.otf][all]
\stoptext

(which reminds me ... the fonts probably also lack the smaller desing
sizes)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [OT] Stix
@ 2010-05-28 22:33         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-05-28 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> depends on your needs, the current otf version is probably usable for
>>> primary school math (no large operators and so in the core font)
>>
>> Oh, so it's primarily a font aimed for mathematical equations and
>> suchlike?
>
> Or the Guinness Book of Records with the biggest repertoire of math symbols
> (althoug cambria probably has more) .
>
> \starttext
> \showfont[file:stixgeneral.otf][all]
> \stoptext
>
> (which reminds me ... the fonts probably also lack the smaller desing sizes)
nice:updated
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/stix
--
luigi

* is this valid usage of \def?
@ 2010-05-29 23:33         ` Rogutės Sparnuotos
From: Rogutės Sparnuotos @ 2010-05-29 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

Could someone please confirm that it is ok to use \def like this:

  \def\ru{\switchtobodyfont[cyr]\language[ru]}
  \starttext
  \item {\ru Эйхенбаум, Борис. {\it Теория «формального метода»}.}
        Some other text in the main language.
  \stoptext

This is MkII with XeTeX, cyr is defined as

  \definetypeface[cyr][rm][Xserif][CMU Serif]
  \definetypeface[cyr][ss][Xsans][CMU Sans Serif]
  \definetypeface[cyr][tt][Xmono][CMU Typewriter Text]

because 'Latin Modern' lacks cyrillic glyphs and 'Computer Modern Unicode'
lacks some Lithuanian glyphs (and looks slightly different).

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos

* Re: is this valid usage of \def?
@ 2010-05-30  8:50           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-05-30  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.05.10 01:33, schrieb Rogutės Sparnuotos:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone please confirm that it is ok to use \def like this:
>
>    \def\ru{\switchtobodyfont[cyr]\language[ru]}
>    \starttext
>    \item {\ru Эйхенбаум, Борис. {\it Теория «формального метода»}.}
>          Some other text in the main language.
>    \stoptext
>
> This is MkII with XeTeX, cyr is defined as
>
>    \definetypeface[cyr][rm][Xserif][CMU Serif]
>    \definetypeface[cyr][ss][Xsans][CMU Sans Serif]
>    \definetypeface[cyr][tt][Xmono][CMU Typewriter Text]
>
> because 'Latin Modern' lacks cyrillic glyphs and 'Computer Modern Unicode'
> lacks some Lithuanian glyphs (and looks slightly different).

In MkIV you can set falback fonts for cyrillic etc.

Wolfgang