From: Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com>
Subject: Re: Updating to Beta Builds of ConTeXt / LuaTeX from tlcontrib breaks MacTeX
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:26:18 -0600	[thread overview]

First off, let me say that you all are the nicest set of developers
and project team members I have ever seen! If I had asked our
developers about an issue in an alpha build, they would have told me
where to go while raising a particular finger in an effort to say
what, I think, is something like, "You're #1!"

I appreciate the offer to roll back a build, but please! This is how
this all goes, right?

Anyway, following the instructions on the tlcontrib.metatex.org (or a
link from there) for restoring the "stable" versions, I got the
fabulous "/usr/texbin/mtxrun:9359: attempt to concatenate local 'v' (a
table value)" on every ConTeXt command that I tried. Lacking the
appetite (and time) to go much further, I tried forcing the uninstall
of everything and then I reinstalled everything using tlmgr. It all
seemed to go whll, but still no avail. After restoring from tlcontrib
and getting only back to nowhere, I just nuked it all and am
reinstalling.

I'm happy to try again, if you all would think I have a better than...
oh... 30% chance of not having to nuke another time. If not, my next
stop is the rsync method. After that, I may have to return, hat in
hand, to LaTeX and check back with you guys in a month or so, just to
see where MacTeX support is at.

BTW: I really like this community and I very much like both what
ConTeXt and  LuaTeX have to offer. In my spare time (-4 hours a day or
so, more if I take my meds), I'd be happy to contribute. I'm much more
of a hack and know next to nothing about bare TeX, although I feel as
though I've done the impossible with my own set of macros. I may be
able to take on some documentation tasks and I also fancy myself a
better-than-average beta tester: not bitchy, test everything all of
the way through, report everything, patient, etc. If all-ya-all want
to point me at something that is in need of such activity, I'd be
happy to look at it. I may just see what can be added to ConTeXt
Garden, but it's hard to know where to start, what's obsolete, what's
good but incomplete, and what's entirely absent. I would need more
time actually using it to truly help, unless someone were to give me
instruction.

Best Regards,

Andrew Starks
Tightrope Media Systems
Co-Founder

800 Transfer Road, Suite 1B, Saint Paul MN 55114

866 866-4118, 201