* Is Minimals ready for non-developers to use? (Tom)
@ 2011-03-14 20:10 Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-14 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you for explaining this, Mojca. Knowing that it will be fixed sometime before September gives me hope. In the meantime, I think I have a workaround that, although awkward, will create a correct PDF. What I will do is create a PDF that is correct except for the TOC that Context generates, create a correct TOC PDF with another tool, then create a new PDF with the good pages from the original PDF and the bad TOC replaced by the good one.

Is there a list of known bugs somewhere? That would eliminate a lot of frustration and your having to deal with problems that are already being handled.

Is it possible for one to create a new font style? For example, if I have a need for two different sanserif fonts (Iwona and Helvetica for the sake of argument) to be used sporadically throughout a document. It would be nice to be able to do something like \ss1 to select the first one and \ss2 to select the second one. \ss to select the first one and \aa (or two other letters) to select the other.

Thanks,

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-14 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 20:43, Tom wrote:
> Thank you for explaining this, Mojca. Knowing that it will be fixed sometime before September gives me hope. In the meantime, I think I have a workaround that, although awkward, will create a correct PDF.

If you really want to get the current version working, you can try to
fetch texmfcnf.lua from
    http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/texmf/web2c

> svn log texmfcnf.lua
r948 | mojca | 2011-02-10 13:33:03 +0100 (čet, 10 feb 2011) | 1 line

new version of texmfcnf.lua
r846 | mojca | 2010-08-17 17:22:33 +0200 (tor, 17 avg 2010) | 1 line

Hans' additions
r789 | mojca | 2010-06-15 16:16:19 +0200 (tor, 15 jun 2010) | 1 line

update cnf file

Most probably the version r846 will do; if not then r789. Fetch the
--context=current and replace your texmfcnf.lua (in tex/texmf/web2c)
with this one. Maybe you will need an older version of luatex (but I
doubt it; I should check the dates though). LuaTeX is available under
    http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/bin/tex

> Is there a list of known bugs somewhere?

Known bugs in ConTeXt on in ConTeXt distribution?

The general recipe for ConTeXt bugs is: if it is present in the latest
version and it has not been mentioned on the mailing list for the last
two days, you should not bother searching in the bug database, just
report it.

Tracker for ConTeXt is here: http://tracker.luatex.org/

Tracker for ConTeXt distribution is on launchpad, but it doesn't list
everything that I want to fix.

> Is it possible for one to create a new font style? For example, if I have a need for two different sanserif fonts (Iwona and Helvetica for the sake of argument) to be used sporadically throughout a document. It would be nice to be able to do something like \ss1 to select the first one and \ss2 to select the second one. \ss to select the first one and \aa (or two other letters) to select the other.

It is. You could use the same switch as \hw or \cg (handwriting,
calligraphy) but you could define a new "style" (your own keyword). I
don't know the syntax by heart though, so I let the others help you (I
should be in doing-something-else-than-reading-emails mode until
Friday at least).

@ 2011-03-14 18:55     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-03-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-03-14 13:22   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-14 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dalyoung,

To the contrary, You have been most helpful. Installing the latest version
of Minimals worked fine but I wonder why they even advertise that there is a
stable version to be downloaded. I guess they mean a stable version of MKII.
I had the same experience that you had with the Introduction not showing up
in the TOC. Do you know how to report a bug?

Thank you for your assistance and moral support. For awhile I thought I was
going nuts.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax