* XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-09 23:22 Peter Davis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-09 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO, with
ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
information.

I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll be
generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
process them.

Thank you.

-pd

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-09 23:56 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-09 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
> Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO, with
> ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
> more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
> information.
> I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll be
> generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
> process them.
> Thank you.
batik

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/
--
luigi

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-10  0:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-10  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-11-2010 12:22, Peter Davis wrote:
> Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO, with
> ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
> more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
> information.
>
> I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll be
> generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
> process them.

there was never much interest in FO and usually such code only gets
better when it's used; I have it on my todo list to rewrite the mkii
specific FO processing code in mkiv as it can be done more efficient etc
etc but there is not that much incentive ... in projects that I'm
involved in we normally go directly from xml to pdf simply because it's
faster, gives better results and takes less coding than going the
fo-route; and as FO is not that much fun, I'd either need a project or
see it as a challenge (btw, it's not that big a deal to rewrite the mkii
code to mkiv)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-10 11:28   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-10 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
> > Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO,
> with
> > ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
> > more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
> > information.
> > I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll
> be
> > generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
> > process them.
> > Thank you.
> batik
>
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/
> --
> luigi

Thanks, Luigi.  I'm not sure I see the connection, but I'll take a look.

-pd

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-10 11:32   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-10 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 10-11-2010 12:22, Peter Davis wrote:
>
>> Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO,
>> with
>> ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
>> more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
>> information.
>>
>> I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll be
>> generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
>> process them.
>>

> there was never much interest in FO and usually such code only gets better
> when it's used; I have it on my todo list to rewrite the mkii specific FO
> processing code in mkiv as it can be done more efficient etc etc but there
> is not that much incentive ... in projects that I'm involved in we normally
> go directly from xml to pdf simply because it's faster, gives better results
> and takes less coding than going the fo-route; and as FO is not that much
> fun, I'd either need a project or see it as a challenge (btw, it's not that
> big a deal to rewrite the mkii code to mkiv)
>
> Hans

Thanks, Hans.  I can certainly understand that FO has not gotten much
attention.  In our case, though, this is the XML format we're starting with.
 It's not a matter of converting other xml to FO.  I'd be happy to look at
the mkii code, but considering that I'm brand spanking new to ConTeXt, I
don't expect to make any great strides there for a while.

Is it possible to put a setup inside an xmlsetup?  For example, if the xml
specifies a page size, can I put a setup for that inside the xmlsetup that
handles that element?

Thank you,
-pd

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-13 11:03 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-11-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Uh ? Give FOP a try… http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/index.html
Could you describe your  target chain ? XML → FO → PDF ?

Renaud

Le 10/11/2010 00:22, Peter Davis a écrit :
> Is there some recent information on using XML, and specifically XSL-FO, with
> ConTeXt?  The pages on the contextgarden wiki appear to be 5 years old or
> more, and even the archive of this list seem pretty sparse on recent
> information.
>
> I'm trying to find the most direct route from XSL-FO to PS or PDF. I'll be
> generating hundreds or thousands of XSL-FO documents, and would like to
> process them.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -pd

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-13 15:14   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/13/10 6:03 AM, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> Uh ? Give FOP a try… http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/index.html
> Could you describe your  target chain ? XML → FO → PDF ?

Actually, I could write some XSLT to convert the XSL-FO into TeX or
ConTeXt.  But I was thinking it might be beneficial to use ConTeXt to
process the XML (XSL-FO) directly ... get it all under one roof, so to
speak.

Thanks,
-pd

--
--------
Peter Davis

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-14 21:31     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13-11-2010 4:14, Peter Davis wrote:

> On 11/13/10 6:03 AM, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>> Uh ? Give FOP a try… http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/index.html
>> Could you describe your target chain ? XML → FO → PDF ?
>
> Actually, I could write some XSLT to convert the XSL-FO into TeX or
> ConTeXt. But I was thinking it might be beneficial to use ConTeXt to
> process the XML (XSL-FO) directly ... get it all under one roof, so to
> speak.

faster too

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-14 21:36       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-14 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 13-11-2010 4:14, Peter Davis wrote:
>

>> On 11/13/10 6:03 AM, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>
>>> Uh ? Give FOP a try… http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/index.html
>>> Could you describe your target chain ? XML → FO → PDF ?
>>>

>> Actually, I could write some XSLT to convert the XSL-FO into TeX or
>> ConTeXt. But I was thinking it might be beneficial to use ConTeXt to
>> process the XML (XSL-FO) directly ... get it all under one roof, so to
>> speak.
>>

> faster too

Interesting point.  I initially assumed it would be faster to do all my XML
processing in ConTeXt, but it occurred to me that perhaps using XSLT to or
even home-grown XML processing, I could generate a stream of TeX that could
be processed while I'm still producing it.  So one process might be looking
at successive data records and generating TeX for the various pages, and
another process could be simultaneously running TeX to typeset those pages.

Plausible?

Thank you.

-pd

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?
@ 2010-11-14 22:48         ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-11-14 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

XSLT is fully adapted to XML/XML(fo or other target schema) since it was
the design basis…

My experience is:
− good xslt is (relatively) easy to design as soon as you master the
underlying data model
− xsltproc is REALLY REALLY fast for xslt 1 processing
− if you want something smarter, go for java with saxon/xerces, which is
performant too…

I'm the devil's advocate but what's your need to use ConTeXt. I have not
read all your threads but if you just need:
− to produce pdfs from xml data
− without advanced typesettings
you could use xslt to produce DocBook 5 xml file, include them using
<xi:include href="./data/stuff.xml"/>, configure your layout with an
intermediate xslt + Fo xml config…

Once more, it depends on your original ecosystem and constraints…

If you provide a use case, I should provide a sample if you don't need
it within a couple of hours (but a couple of days)…

Best regards,

Renaud

Le 14/11/2010 22:36, Peter Davis a écrit :
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> Actually, I could write some XSLT to convert the XSL-FO into TeX or
>>> ConTeXt. But I was thinking it might be beneficial to use ConTeXt to
>>> process the XML (XSL-FO) directly ... get it all under one roof, so to
>>> speak.
>>>

>> faster too
>>

> Interesting point.  I initially assumed it would be faster to do all my XML
> processing in ConTeXt, but it occurred to me that perhaps using XSLT to or
> even home-grown XML processing, I could generate a stream of TeX that could
> be processed while I'm still producing it.  So one process might be looking
> at successive data records and generating TeX for the various pages, and
> another process could be simultaneously running TeX to typeset those pages.
>

> Plausible?
>
> Thank you.
>
> -pd

* Re: XSL-FO to PDF?