* First try with ConTeXt (Win7)
@ 2010-11-09 11:27 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-09 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I've used LaTeX for years, but I'm trying to work with ConTeXt now on a Win7
PC that has already had MikTeX 2.9 installed.
I've downloaded the minimal ZIP file, unpacked it and run the
first_setup.bat file.
(Note, I don't have Ruby installed yet, so I can't use pdfTeX, but I assume
some other build is available.)

Then I opened TeXworks, created a ConTeXt typesetting option, entered a
helloworld.tex program, and tried to ConTeXt it.

However, I just get these messages:

MTXrun | forcing cache reload

MTXrun | resolvers: skipping configuration file
'C:/Users/peterd/AppData/Roaming/MiKTeX/2.9/web2c/texmfcnf.lua' (no file)

MTXrun | resolvers

MTXrun | resolvers

MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated

MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'

MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'

MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'

MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'

MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Any clues available?

Thanks!

-pd

* Re: First try with ConTeXt (Win7)
@ 2010-11-09 12:20 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-11-09 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-11-09 um 12:27 schrieb Peter Davis:

> I've used LaTeX for years, but I'm trying to work with ConTeXt now
> on a Win7 PC that has already had MikTeX 2.9 installed.
> I've downloaded the minimal ZIP file, unpacked it and run the
> first_setup.bat file.
> (Note, I don't have Ruby installed yet, so I can't use pdfTeX, but I
> assume some other build is available.)
>
> Then I opened TeXworks, created a ConTeXt typesetting option,
> entered a helloworld.tex program, and tried to ConTeXt it.

Will you tell us anything about the settings you made in TeXworks?

Did you try to run "context" on the command line? (GUI setup is an
additional complication)

This
> MTXrun | resolvers: skipping configuration file 'C:/Users/peterd/
> AppData/Roaming/MiKTeX/2.9/web2c/texmfcnf.lua' (no file)
looks like there's MiKTeX in your (TeXwork's) PATH, but not ConTeXt's
binaries.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: First try with ConTeXt (Win7)
@ 2010-11-09 13:30 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-11-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:27, Peter Davis wrote:
> I've used LaTeX for years, but I'm trying to work with ConTeXt now on a Win7
> PC that has already had MikTeX 2.9 installed.
> I've downloaded the minimal ZIP file, unpacked it and run the
> first_setup.bat file.
> (Note, I don't have Ruby installed yet, so I can't use pdfTeX, but I assume
> some other build is available.)
> Then I opened TeXworks, created a ConTeXt typesetting option, entered a
> helloworld.tex program, and tried to ConTeXt it.
> However, I just get these messages:
> MTXrun | forcing cache reload
>
> MTXrun | resolvers: skipping configuration file
> 'C:/Users/peterd/AppData/Roaming/MiKTeX/2.9/web2c/texmfcnf.lua' (no file)

In the last tab of settings in TeXworks you should be able to adjust
paths. Simply add the path to [context root]/texmf-mswin/bin to that
list and put it on top.

However note that if you will want to use LaTeX again, you will have
to put that path lower than MikTeX's binary path again.

Apart from that: ConTeXt should work under MikTeX 2.9 out of the bo.x
(I reported some problems to CS; I have no idea if he fixed them, but
all of them were solvable even without official fix of MikTeX, but I
didn't try the latest version, I only tested the beta.)

Mojca

* Re: First try with ConTeXt (Win7)
@ 2010-11-09 13:41   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2010-11-09 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the last tab of settings in TeXworks you should be able to adjust
> paths. Simply add the path to [context root]/texmf-mswin/bin to that
> list and put it on top.

That fixed it.  Thanks!

> Apart from that: ConTeXt should work under MikTeX 2.9 out of the bo.x
> (I reported some problems to CS; I have no idea if he fixed them, but
> all of them were solvable even without official fix of MikTeX, but I
> didn't try the latest version, I only tested the beta.)

I'm trying to shake out a workflow that will eventually be put on systems
that don't have MikTeX pre-installed, so I'd like to keep everything
dependent only on the minimal installation.

Thank you.

@ 2010-11-09 13:46   ` Emmanuel Asante
From: Emmanuel Asante @ 2010-11-09 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)