* Trouble with columns
@ 2011-03-30 12:49 Alasdair McAndrew
From: Alasdair McAndrew @ 2011-03-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was setting up a test for my students, consisting of one page (A4
landscape), three columns.  Each column consisted of a question, below which
there was an empty frame in which to write the answer.  The layout then was
something like
--
\startcolumns[n=3]
\startitemize[n]

\framed[height=10cm width=\textwidth]{}

\column

\item Second question

\framed[height=10cm width=\textwidth]{}

\column

\item Third question

\framed[height=10cm width=\textwidth]{}

\stopitemize
\stopcolumns
--

All well and good - except!  the second "\column" command pushed the third
column onto a second page.  However without that "\column", no matter what

What's going on here - and what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Alasdair

--
Blog: http://amca01.wordpress.com
Web:  http://bit.ly/Alasdair

* Re: Trouble with columns
@ 2011-03-30 20:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-30 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.03.2011 um 14:49 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:

> I was setting up a test for my students, consisting of one page (A4 landscape), three columns.  Each column consisted of a question, below which there was an empty frame in which to write the answer.  The layout then was something like
> --
> \startcolumns[n=3]
> \startitemize[n]
> \item First question
>
> \framed[height=10cm width=\textwidth]{}
>
> \column
>
> \item Second question
>
> \framed[height=10cm width=\textwidth]{}
>
> \column
>
> \item Third question
>
> \framed[height=10cm width=\textwidth]{}
>
> \stopitemize
> \stopcolumns
> --
>
> All well and good - except!  the second "\column" command pushed the third column onto a second page.  However without that "\column", no matter what parameters I gave the page layout, the third question text would appear at the bottom of the second column.  I ended up getting around this by putting a "\vskip3cm" in place of the second "\column".  This worked, but seems like an ugly workaround.

Use the “columns” option for itemize or write the question with the paragraphs (\defineparagraphs, it’s described in the big manual) environment.

\starttext

\startitemize[n,columns,three]

\item First question

  \framed[height=10cm,width=\textwidth]{}