From: Maurice Diamantini <Maurice.Diamantini@ensta.fr>
Cc: Maurice Diamantini <Maurice.Diamantini@ensta.fr>
Subject: Re: markup format ---> ConTeXt
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:00:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Le 3 juin 08 à 09:43, Wolfgang Schuster a écrit :

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Maurice Diamantini
> <Maurice.Diamantini@ensta.fr> wrote:
>
>> Just some remarks/questions:
>> - docbook seems to be the standard for describing documentation data,
>> - dblatex seams to be a currently good supported tools for **easely**
>> provide pdf output from docbook input, and cutomize the output
>> with .xsl
>> parameters or LaTeX .sty files
>> - dbcontext seams not to be maintained very much
>
> I don't think the code in the module is nowadays a good example for
> writing
> a module because many low level commands are redefined and it should
> work now out of the box with the current code or better witth MkIV.
>
>> - ConTeXt seams to be able to directly parse xml without external
>> tools
>>
>> So, what about make ConTeXt directly reading dokbook file and output
>> pdf file? I see the http://www.leverkruid.eu/context/index.html
>> page from
>> Simon Pepping. But it seems that this project is down.
>
> The module you mention above is the only (complete?) docbook style
> but ConTeXt provides cals table support by default and mapping for the
> basic elements to ConTeXt shouldn't be a problem,
> give us the information what do you need and we write a module.

Thank you very much, you confirm that the "DocbookInContext" from
Simon Pepping is still the way to go.

I've no specific request, I just forward some interest by the web
community
to converting from docbook to pdf more or less automaticaly.
I fact, my original interest come from the work of the jelix team (a
MVC php Framwork)
whose documentation was only online (dokuwiki).
Following some user feedback, Jelix team have then generate docbook
from that wiki
filesss+ and make pdf file thanks to the (not maintained) db2latex tool.
I look after a more uptodate tool (for further customisation) and
found dblatex
as mention on the (french) forum:

   http://jelix.org/forums/read.php?10,2680,page=4#msg-2872

The result was that the simple command:

    dblatex jelix-manual.xml

produce a "correct" (i.e. readable) jelix-manual.pdf  file without any
customisation (with default table of content, correct verbatim, ...)
which was not the case for db2latex.
But then, any customisation will be a latex style, which is more hacking
than ConTeXt (I think so, but I'm sure you agree ;-)

Nevertheless, the first criterion was that it just works in simple case.
If some magic command (or a simple tutorial) like :

    texexec --docbook jelix-manual.xml

do some equivalent work than the above dblatex, no doubt that the