* No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24  9:59 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-03-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
that by \item the first paragraph also has no indentation?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24 14:20 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-03-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
> paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
> that by \item the first paragraph also has no indentation?

See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation#Setting_up_indentation_inside_environments

What you need is

\setupindenting[big,yes]
\setupitemize[1][indenting=next]

\starttext
\startitemize
   \item \input knuth
\stopitemize
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24 14:29   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-03-24 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
>> paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
>> that by \item the first paragraph also has no indentation?
>
> See
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation#Setting_up_indentation_inside_environments
>
> What you need is
>
> \setupindenting[big,yes]
> \setupitemize[1][indenting=next]
>
> \starttext
> \startitemize
>  \item \input knuth
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext

Actually, in MkII indenting=yes does the right thing (no indentation of
the first line). I would consider MkIV behavior a bug.

I don't know what is the best solution. Perhaps changing

\normalexpanded{\noexpand\setupindenting[\v!reset,\v!yes,\currentitemindenting]}%

\normalexpanded{\noexpand\setupindenting[\v!reset,\v!next,\v!yes,\currentitemindenting]}%

Then, \setupitemize[1][indenting=first] will indent the first line,
indenting=yes, will not (untested).

Another option is to change reset so that it sets indentfirstparagraph to
false, but that might create havoc at other places.

Aditya

* Re: No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24 14:40     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-24 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.03.2011 um 15:29 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>
>>> When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
>>> paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
>>> that by \item the first paragraph also has no indentation?
>>
>> See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation#Setting_up_indentation_inside_environments
>>
>> What you need is
>>
>> \setupindenting[big,yes]
>> \setupitemize[1][indenting=next]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startitemize
>> \item \input knuth
>> \stopitemize
>> \stoptext
>
> Actually, in MkII indenting=yes does the right thing (no indentation of the first line). I would consider MkIV behavior a bug.

This is a feature of MkIV to allow one to indent the first paragraph of an \item (was a feature request) which isn’t possible with MkII.

\starttext
\startitemize[indenting={yes,medium}]
\item \input knuth
\stopitemize
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24 16:02   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-03-24 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/3/24 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>  When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
>> paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
>> that by \item the first paragraph also has no indentation?
>>

> See
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation#Setting_up_indentation_inside_environments
>
> What you need is
>
> \setupindenting[big,yes]
> \setupitemize[1][indenting=next]
>
> \starttext
> \startitemize
>  \item \input knuth
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext

Does not work. I tried:
    \setupindenting[yes,medium]
    \setupitemize[1][indentnext=no]
    \setupitemgroup[itemize][indentnext=no]

    \starttext
    ` Backtick\crlf
    ' Apostrophe\crlf
    ‘ Open curly quote\crlf
    ’ Close curly quote

    ‘some quoted text’

    “some doublequoted text”

    \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]

    ‘some quoted text’

    “some doublequoted text”

    \startitemize
    \item Alleen een test

    \input knuth
    \stopitemize

    \stoptext

But the first paragraph is still indented.

I still find it strange that \head does not indent the first and \item does.
I would expect them to behave the same.

--

@ 2011-03-24 16:06     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-03-24 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> 2011/3/24 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
>
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>
>>  When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
>>> paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
>>> that by \item the first paragraph also has no indentation?
>>>

>> See
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation#Setting_up_indentation_inside_environments
>>
>> What you need is
>>
>> \setupindenting[big,yes]
>> \setupitemize[1][indenting=next]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startitemize
>>  \item \input knuth
>> \stopitemize
>> \stoptext
>>

> Does not work. I tried:
>    \setupindenting[yes,medium]
>    \setupitemize[1][indentnext=no]
>    \setupitemgroup[itemize][indentnext=no]
>
>    \starttext
>    ` Backtick\crlf
>    ' Apostrophe\crlf
>    ‘ Open curly quote\crlf
>    ’ Close curly quote
>
>    ‘some quoted text’
>
>    “some doublequoted text”
>
>    \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
>
>    ‘some quoted text’
>
>    “some doublequoted text”
>
>    \startitemize
>    \item Alleen een test
>
>    \input knuth
>    \stopitemize
>
>    \stoptext
>
> But the first paragraph is still indented.
>
> I still find it strange that \head does not indent the first and \item does.
> I would expect them to behave the same.

Well, you did not add indenting=next key....

Aditya

* Re: No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24 17:26       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-03-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/3/24 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>

> paragraph when using \head, but there is when using \item. How can I make
>>>>

>>> See
>>>
>>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation#Setting_up_indentation_inside_environments
>>>
>>> What you need is
>>>
>>> \setupindenting[big,yes]
>>> \setupitemize[1][indenting=next]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \startitemize
>>>  \item \input knuth
>>> \stopitemize
>>> \stoptext
>>>

>> Does not work. I tried:
>>   \setupindenting[yes,medium]
>>   \setupitemize[1][indentnext=no]
>>   \setupitemgroup[itemize][indentnext=no]
>>
>>   \starttext
>>   ` Backtick\crlf
>>   ' Apostrophe\crlf
>>   ‘ Open curly quote\crlf
>>   ’ Close curly quote
>>
>>   ‘some quoted text’
>>
>>   “some doublequoted text”
>>
>>   \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
>>
>>   ‘some quoted text’
>>
>>   “some doublequoted text”
>>
>>   \startitemize
>>   \item Alleen een test
>>
>>   \input knuth
>>   \stopitemize
>>
>>   \stoptext
>>
>> But the first paragraph is still indented.
>>
>> I still find it strange that \head does not indent the first and \item
>> does.
>> I would expect them to behave the same.
>>
>  When using \startitemize … \stopitemize there is no indent for the first
>
> Well, you did not add indenting=next key....

That is the problem when you try different possibilities. :-{

I know have:
    \setupindenting[yes,medium]
    \setupitemize[1][indenting=next]
    %\setupitemize[1][indentnext=no]
    %\setupitemgroup[itemize][indentnext=no]

    \starttext

    \startitemize
    \item Alleen een test

    \input knuth
    \stopitemize

    \stoptext

Stil the same problem. I tried it also with what is now in comment.

--

@ 2011-03-24 17:40         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-24 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.03.2011 um 18:26 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

>     \startitemize
>     \item Alleen een test

This is the paragraph which is not indented.

>     \input knuth

This starts the second paragraph which is now indented.

There is nothing wrong here. To prevent indentation you can add \noindentation at the begin of the second paragraph.

Wolfgang

* Re: No indent with first paragraph with \item
@ 2011-03-24 17:46           ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-03-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/3/24 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> >     \startitemize
> >     \item Alleen een test
>
> This is the paragraph which is not indented.
>
> >     \input knuth
>
> This starts the second paragraph which is now indented.
>
> There is nothing wrong here. To prevent indentation you can add
> \noindentation at the begin of the second paragraph.

When using:
\startitemize
\item Alleen een test

\input knuth
\head Alleen een test

\input knuth
\stopitemize

Then the first paragraph of knuth is not indented by head, but is indented
by item. This I find not consistent. I would prefer item to work like head.

--

@ 2011-03-24 17:56             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-24 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.03.2011 um 18:46 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> Then the first paragraph of knuth is not indented by head, but is indented by item. This I find not consistent. I would prefer item to work like head.

\item ≠ \head

If both would behave the same way there is no need to have two commands.

Wolfgang