* Re: mptopdf in minimals
@ 2013-04-18 13:47 John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2013-04-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM, John Kitzmiller wrote:

> Is there something extra needed to use mptopdf with only context minimal?

Does it help if you run the following command first?
  texexec --make mptopdf
(it should or at least used to be used in past)

Mojca

------

Thank you Mojca,

Your idea did help for minimal examples. I get conflicts with more elaborate files (even the dreaded 'cannot make .mpx file') sometimes using either suggestions so...

retraining my fingers to put MP code in \startMPpage is the direction I will take because it gives the best looking forward result for me.

John

* Re: mptopdf in minimals
@ 2013-04-18  9:04 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-04-18  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-04-17 22:00   ` John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2013-04-17 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 4/17/2013 10:51 PM, John Kitzmiller wrote:
>> Is there something extra needed to use mptopdf with only context minimal?
>>
>> Experimenting with having just context standalone on mac osx:
>>
>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Compiling with just mpost or using a context \startMPcode wrapper works, e.g.:
>>
>> beginfig(1);
>> draw origin--(100,100);
>> endfig;
>> end
>
> if you have context installed you can try
>
> mtxrun --script metapost ….

Thank you Hans. It works (no surprise) but now I will have to script it to save typing!

John

* Re: mptopdf in minimals
@ 2013-04-17 21:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-17 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

                                                                                                                                                                                              !

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Compiling with just mpost or using a context \startMPcode wra
 pper works, e.g.:

> beginfig(1);
> draw origin--(100,100);
> endfig;
> end

if you have context installed you can try

mtxrun --script metapost ....

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* mptopdf in minimals
@ 2013-04-17 20:51 John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2013-04-17 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: kitz

Is there something extra needed to use mptopdf with only context minimal?

Experimenting with having just context standalone on mac osx:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Compiling with just mpost or using a context \startMPcode wrapper works, e.g.:

beginfig(1);
draw origin--(100,100);
endfig;
end

works with command line mpost %

This is MetaPost, version 1.801 (kpathsea version 6.1.1dev)
(mpost.mp (/users/johnkitzmiller/context/tex/texmf/metapost/base/plain.mp
Preloading the plain mem file, version 1.004) ) (./mwe.mp [1] )
1 output file written: mwe.1
Transcript written on mwe.log.

and...

\starttext
\startMPcode
draw origin--(100,100);
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

works with command context %

But using mptopdf on the first snippet complains:

MPtoPDF 1.4.1 : running 'mpost --mem=mpost  mwe.mp'
This is MetaPost, version 1.801 (kpathsea version 6.1.1dev)
(mpost.mp (/users/johnkitzmiller/context/tex/texmf/metapost/base/plain.mp
Preloading the plain mem file, version 1.004) ) (./mwe.mp [1] )
1 output file written: mwe.1
Transcript written on mwe.log.
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013)
 \write18 enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mptopdf.fmt
/usr/texbin/mktexfmt: line 395: /users/johnkitzmiller/context/tex/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr: is a directory
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `mptopdf.fmt'!

MPtoPDF 1.4.1 : error while processing tex file

(Note: I do not have TeX Live 2013 installed. The message from line 7 gave me some hints and I created the directory and put mptopdf.fmt from a pdftex --ini mptopdf command … no luck)

Turning $PATH off from ~/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin mptopdf % gives:

MPtoPDF 1.4.1 : running 'mpost --mem=mpost  mwe.mp'
This is MetaPost, version 1.504 (kpathsea version 6.1.0)
(mpost.mp (/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/metapost/base/plain.mp
Preloading the plain mem file, version 1.004)) (./mwe.mp [1] )
1 output file written: mwe.1
Transcript written on mwe.log.
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
[MP to PDF] (./mwe.1) [1]
Output written on mwe.pdf (1 page, 1305 bytes).
Transcript written on mwe.log.

MPtoPDF 1.4.1 : mwe is converted to mwe-1.pdf

as I have been using. How to get mptopdf working from command line with just minimals?