* mkiv: Bug in Right to Left numerals?
@ 2008-10-21 11:02 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-10-21 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Taco, Idriss and the mkiv team,

Since I have been unable to use mkiv until very recently I am not
aware whether the following bug has been addressed or not (Luigi
Scarso taught me how to install and use mkiv on Mac OS, last Sunday…).

Below is a minimal file which shows that the numerals in Right-to-Left
text are reversed, while they shouldn't.
XeTeX and XeConTeXt behave correctly in this respect.

If the bug is known, pardon me for the noise…
Best regards: OK

%% begin file bug-RL-numerals.tex
\starttext

\definefontfeature
[testPersian]
[analyze=yes,
mode=node,
language=dflt,
script=arab,
aalt=yes,
init=yes,
medi=yes,
fina=yes,
isol=yes,
liga=yes,
mset=yes]

\font\FaarsiA=arabtype*testPersian at 36pt

\startbuffer[faarsi]
این متن در سال ۲۰۰۸ مسیحی نوشته شده است.

\stopbuffer
\pardir TLT
\textdir TLT
This file has been typeset on \currentdate{} at \currenttime, mkiv,
ConTeXt version \contextversion,
% LuaTeX version \luatexversion,
LuaTeX revision \luatexrevision,
(LuaTeX date stamp \luatexdatestamp).
\blank[6*big]
The number input as « 2008 » in Persian is written in the output as
« 8002 » in the following Persian text:
\blank[6*big]
\pardir TRT
\textdir TRT

\FaarsiA
\getbuffer[faarsi]
\blank[6*big]

\stoptext
%% end file bug-RL-numerals.tex

[-- Attachment #2: bug-RL-numerals.pdf --]

* Re: mkiv: Bug in Right to Left numerals?
@ 2008-10-21 13:13 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2008-10-21 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

This isn't actually a bug, \textdir TRT will reverse all text, try
setting \setupdirection[bidi=global] to enable the "experimental"
auto-bidi support.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Hans, Taco, Idriss and the mkiv team,
>
> Since I have been unable to use mkiv until very recently I am not aware
> whether the following bug has been addressed or not (Luigi Scarso taught me
> how to install and use mkiv on Mac OS, last Sunday…).
>
> Below is a minimal file which shows that the numerals in Right-to-Left text
> are reversed, while they shouldn't.
> XeTeX and XeConTeXt behave correctly in this respect.
>
> If the bug is known, pardon me for the noise…
> Best regards: OK
>
> %% begin file bug-RL-numerals.tex
> \starttext
>
> \definefontfeature
> [testPersian]
> [analyze=yes,
> mode=node,
> language=dflt,
> script=arab,
> aalt=yes,
> init=yes,
> medi=yes,
> fina=yes,
> isol=yes,
> liga=yes,
> mset=yes]
>
> \font\FaarsiA=arabtype*testPersian at 36pt
>
> \startbuffer[faarsi]
> این متن در سال ۲۰۰۸ مسیحی نوشته شده است.
>
> \stopbuffer
> \pardir TLT
> \textdir TLT
> This file has been typeset on \currentdate{} at \currenttime, mkiv, ConTeXt
> version \contextversion,
> % LuaTeX version \luatexversion,
> LuaTeX revision \luatexrevision,
> (LuaTeX date stamp \luatexdatestamp).
> \blank[6*big]
> in the following Persian text:
> \blank[6*big]
> \pardir TRT
> \textdir TRT
>
> \FaarsiA
> \getbuffer[faarsi]
> \blank[6*big]
>
> \stoptext
> %% end file bug-RL-numerals.tex

  Khaled

* Re: mkiv: Bug in Right to Left numerals?
@ 2008-10-21 17:19   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-10-21 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 oct. 08, at 15:13, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> This isn't actually a bug, \textdir TRT will reverse all text, try
> setting \setupdirection[bidi=global] to enable the "experimental"
> auto-bidi support.

Thanks Khaled for your attention, but what I get is:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.21 \setupdirection
                     [bidi=global]
?
Process aborted

Is this feature so experimental that it is not yet included in the
latest beta?

Best regards: OK

@ 2008-10-22  7:02     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-10-22  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 oct. 08, at 15:13, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>> This isn't actually a bug, \textdir TRT will reverse all text, try
>> setting \setupdirection[bidi=global] to enable the "experimental"
>> auto-bidi support.
>

> Thanks Khaled for your attention, but what I get is:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.21 \setupdirection
>                     [bidi=global]
> ?
> Process aborted
>
> Is this feature so experimental that it is not yet included in the
> latest beta?

\setupdirections[bidi=global]

Wolfgang

* Re: mkiv: Bug in Right to Left numerals?
@ 2008-10-22  9:14       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-10-22  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 oct. 08, at 09:02, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 21 oct. 08, at 15:13, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>
>>> This isn't actually a bug, \textdir TRT will reverse all text, try
>>> setting \setupdirection[bidi=global] to enable the "experimental"
>>> auto-bidi support.
>>

>> Thanks Khaled for your attention, but what I get is:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.21 \setupdirection
>>                    [bidi=global]
>> ?
>> Process aborted
>>
>> Is this feature so experimental that it is not yet included in the
>> latest beta?
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=global]
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang… the plural makes sense indeed.
However it seems that it is necessary to add
\pardir TRT
\textdir TRT
before Right-to-Left text.

Best regards: OK