* defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 11:33 Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2012-10-26 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

I feel a bit "out of context" not following the list closely for some
time so maybe this has been solved already. I cannot get
defineindenting to work. Example attached.

Best

Piotr

--
http://okle.pl

[-- Attachment #2: test-indentations.tex --]

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 11:53 ` Sietse Brouwer
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-10-26 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Piotr,

> I cannot get defineindenting to work. Example attached.

To input example text, use
\input knuth
not
\knuth .

After that change your example works for me, apart from producing something like
'. . .           :' in the indent space --- I am not familiar with
MkII, so I can't tell you whether this behaviour is expected or
another bug. I have attached my output.

\defineindenting[myindenting][width=5cm]
\starttext

\myindenting
\input knuth

\stoptext

Kind regards,
Sietse

[-- Attachment #2: test-indent.pdf --]

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 12:04   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2012-10-26 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

O yes, silly mistake! Anyway I'm still getting
! Undefined control sequence.

system          > tex > error on line 1 in file test-indentations.tex:
Undefined control sequence ...

 1 >>  \defineindenting[myindenting][width=5cm]

and no indenting at all when used with mkIV which is what I'd like to
use (mkII is out of question).

2012/10/26 Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com>:
> Hello Piotr,
>
>> I cannot get defineindenting to work. Example attached.
>

> To input example text, use
> \input knuth
> not
> \knuth .
>
> After that change your example works for me, apart from producing something like
> '. . .           :' in the indent space --- I am not familiar with
> MkII, so I can't tell you whether this behaviour is expected or
> another bug. I have attached my output.
>
> \defineindenting[myindenting][width=5cm]
> \starttext
>
> \myindenting
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> Kind regards,
> Sietse

http://okle.pl

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 12:11   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-26 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-26 Sietse Brouwer:

> Hello Piotr,
>
> > I cannot get defineindenting to work. Example attached.
>

> To input example text, use
> \input knuth
> not
> \knuth .
>
> After that change your example works for me, apart from producing something like
> '. . .           :' in the indent space --- I am not familiar with
> MkII, so I can't tell you whether this behaviour is expected or
> another bug.

An MkIV 2011.11.29 23:11 produces the same result as MkII, the wiki
however says "Mkii only". It seems that this command was removed or
changed in 2012.01.11 10:58. I never used it myself.

Marco

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 12:23     ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2012-10-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Right, so is there a replacement for \defineindenting which works in
the recent version?

2012/10/26 Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com>:
> 2012-10-26 Sietse Brouwer:
>
>> Hello Piotr,
>>
>> > I cannot get defineindenting to work. Example attached.
>>

>> To input example text, use
>> \input knuth
>> not
>> \knuth .
>>
>> After that change your example works for me, apart from producing something like
>> '. . .           :' in the indent space --- I am not familiar with
>> MkII, so I can't tell you whether this behaviour is expected or
>> another bug.
>
> An MkIV 2011.11.29 23:11 produces the same result as MkII, the wiki
> however says "Mkii only". It seems that this command was removed or
> changed in 2012.01.11 10:58. I never used it myself.
>

> Marco

http://okle.pl

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 13:04       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-26 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-26 Piotr Kopszak:

> Right, so is there a replacement for \defineindenting which works in
> the recent version?

I don't know what \defineindenting is supposed to do. I can hardly
believe that the dots in the output are intended. What about this:

\definedelimitedtext
  [indenting]
  [leftmargin=4cm, rightmargin=]

\starttext
  \startindenting
    \input knuth
  \stopindenting
\stoptext

Marco

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 13:28         ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2012-10-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks! The wiki says it is used to "define a collection of
indenting settings". I used it to indent more then in the case of
other paragraphs the  first line of the first paragraph in a chapter,
so your solution is unfortunately not exactly what I mean.

Best

Piotr
2012/10/26 Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com>:
> 2012-10-26 Piotr Kopszak:
>
>> Right, so is there a replacement for \defineindenting which works in
>> the recent version?
>
> I don't know what \defineindenting is supposed to do. I can hardly
> believe that the dots in the output are intended. What about this:
>
> \definedelimitedtext
>   [indenting]
>   [leftmargin=4cm, rightmargin=]
>
> \starttext
>   \startindenting
>     \input knuth
>   \stopindenting
> \stoptext
>

> Marco

http://okle.pl

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 13:30           ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-10-26 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

NB: whatever is on the wiki page on that article was added by me just
now, and represents a best guess only. I think it's correct, based on
what I saw it do when I tried your mkii example, but a better
description is welcome.

--Sietse

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many thanks! The wiki says it is used to "define a collection of
> indenting settings". I used it to indent more then in the case of
> other paragraphs the  first line of the first paragraph in a chapter,
> so your solution is unfortunately not exactly what I mean.
>
> Best
>
> Piotr
> 2012/10/26 Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com>:
>> 2012-10-26 Piotr Kopszak:
>>
>>> Right, so is there a replacement for \defineindenting which works in
>>> the recent version?
>>
>> I don't know what \defineindenting is supposed to do. I can hardly
>> believe that the dots in the output are intended. What about this:
>>
>> \definedelimitedtext
>>   [indenting]
>>   [leftmargin=4cm, rightmargin=]
>>
>> \starttext
>>   \startindenting
>>     \input knuth
>>   \stopindenting
>> \stoptext
>>

>> Marco

> --
> http://okle.pl

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 13:48           ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-26 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-26 Piotr Kopszak:

> Many thanks! The wiki says it is used to "define a collection of
> indenting settings". I used it to indent more then in the case of
> other paragraphs the  first line of the first paragraph in a chapter,
> so your solution is unfortunately not exactly what I mean.

To indent the first line you can use

  \setupindenting [yes, 2cm]

That, however, is not configurable. And frankly I've never seen
varying paragraph indentations in a document. If you really need it
you can build a wrapper around this.

\def\defineindenting
  {\dodoubleempty\dodefineindenting}

\def\dodefineindenting [#1][#2]
  {\setvalue{#1}{\setupindenting[yes, #2]}}

\defineindenting [first]  [2cm]
\defineindenting [second] [3cm]

\starttext
  \first
  \input knuth

  \second
  \input knuth
\stoptext

Marco

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 14:02             ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2012-10-26 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

That did the trick. Yes, I know it's weird. Technology makes strange
things happen sometimes ;)

Thanks!

Piotr

2012/10/26 Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com>:
> 2012-10-26 Piotr Kopszak:
>
>> Many thanks! The wiki says it is used to "define a collection of
>> indenting settings". I used it to indent more then in the case of
>> other paragraphs the  first line of the first paragraph in a chapter,
>> so your solution is unfortunately not exactly what I mean.
>
> To indent the first line you can use
>
>   \setupindenting [yes, 2cm]
>
> That, however, is not configurable. And frankly I've never seen
> varying paragraph indentations in a document. If you really need it
> you can build a wrapper around this.
>

> \def\defineindenting
>   {\dodoubleempty\dodefineindenting}
>
> \def\dodefineindenting [#1][#2]
>   {\setvalue{#1}{\setupindenting[yes, #2]}}
>
> \defineindenting [first]  [2cm]
> \defineindenting [second] [3cm]
>
> \starttext
>   \first
>   \input knuth
>
>   \second
>   \input knuth
> \stoptext
>

> Marco

http://okle.pl

* Re: defineindenting
@ 2012-10-26 16:05   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.10.2012 um 13:53 schrieb Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com>:

> Hello Piotr,
>
>> I cannot get defineindenting to work. Example attached.
>

> To input example text, use
> \input knuth
> not
> \knuth .
>
> After that change your example works for me, apart from producing something like
> '. . .           :' in the indent space --- I am not familiar with
> MkII, so I can't tell you whether this behaviour is expected or
> another bug. I have attached my output.
>
> \defineindenting[myindenting][width=5cm]
> \starttext
>
> \myindenting
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

The output looks different when you put the text in the document.

% engine=pdftex

\defineindenting
  [test]
  [text=Test]

\starttext

\test The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and
has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening
whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is
like the effect of an old|-|age patient who smokes many packs
of cigarettes per day |=| and we humans are the cigarettes.

\subtest The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and
has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening
whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is
like the effect of an old|-|age patient who smokes many packs
of cigarettes per day |=| and we humans are the cigarettes.

\stoptext

As you can see from the output it’s a very simple description
command with very few options. The dots in the output for your
example os the default value for the text key.

Wolfgang