* trouble generating mkiv format
@ 2007-08-13 20:01 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2007-08-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

On generating the format with "luatools --ini --compile --verbose
cont-en" I got this error:
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=93529].

It seems that the setting of TEXMFCNF given in mag12 (/tex/texmf-
local/web2c) was insufficient for getting the setup parameters for
TeX format generation.

For my texlive setup I translated the mag12 entry into:
TEXMFCNF="{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c,/usr/local/texlive/
2007/texmf/web2c}"

But at least I needed:
TEXMFCNF="{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c,/usr/local/texlive/
2007/texmf/web2c}"
I hope others may profit from this observation.

By the way, the following seems very strange as luatools tells me:
LuaTools | loading /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
LuaTools | skipping /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf

The name of the file in the context distribution however is "/usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/context.cnf" but it is not searched for!
COULD THIS BE A MISNOMER, either in a script or in the file name?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: trouble generating mkiv format
@ 2007-08-13 20:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-13 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> On generating the format with "luatools --ini --compile --verbose
> cont-en" I got this error:
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=93529].
>
> It seems that the setting of TEXMFCNF given in mag12
> (/tex/texmf-local/web2c) was insufficient for getting the setup
> parameters for TeX format generation.
>
> For my texlive setup I translated the mag12 entry into:
> TEXMFCNF="{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c,/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c}"
>
> But at least I needed:
> TEXMFCNF="{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c,/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c}"
> I hope others may profit from this observation.
>
> By the way, the following seems very strange as luatools tells me:
> LuaTools | loading /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> LuaTools | skipping /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> The name of the file in the context distribution however is
> "/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/context.cnf" but it is not
> searched for!
> COULD THIS BE A MISNOMER, either in a script or in the file name?

this is teh cnf file used in the minimal; in principle you can set this
with TEXMFCNF

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-08-15  9:23   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2007-08-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 13, 2007, at 22:08, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> On generating the format with "luatools --ini --compile --verbose
>> cont-en" I got this error:
>> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=93529].
>>
>> It seems that the setting of TEXMFCNF given in mag12
>> (/tex/texmf-local/web2c) was insufficient for getting the setup
>> parameters for TeX format generation.
>>
>> For my texlive setup I translated the mag12 entry into:
>> TEXMFCNF="{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c,/usr/local/texlive/
>> 2007/texmf/web2c}"
>>
>> But at least I needed:
>> TEXMFCNF="{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c,/usr/local/texlive/
>> 2007/texmf/web2c}"
>> I hope others may profit from this observation.
>>
>> By the way, the following seems very strange as luatools tells me:
>> LuaTools | loading /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>> LuaTools | skipping /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
>>
>> The name of the file in the context distribution however is
>> "/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/context.cnf" but it is not
>> searched for!
>> COULD THIS BE A MISNOMER, either in a script or in the file name?
>
> this is teh cnf file used in the minimal; in principle you can set
> this
> with TEXMFCNF

That doesn't seem to be the case, vide this output:
110 ~/temp/luatex: echo $TEXMFCNF
{/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/context.cnf,/usr/local/texlive/
2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf}
111 ~/temp/luatex: luatools --generate
LuaTools | skipping /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/context.cnf/
texmf.cnf
LuaTools | skipping /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf/
texmf.cnf

Obviously TEXMFCNF can be set to a directory only, not to a file.

@ 2007-08-13 10:39     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why is this? Cannot mkiv and texlive coexist in the same tree? I
> certainly hope that is not true, it would certainly make me refrain
> from using mkiv!
ok,I  say this: actually it's not safe for me to mix texlive and luatex.
I don't know  how to fix this now, so I prefear two separate trees ,
so at least I can play with luatex  with no problems with texlive.

--
luigi

* Re: trouble generating mkiv format
@ 2007-08-13  9:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2007, at 22:40, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>> On 8/12/07, Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>> After installing context aug9 and starting up luatex I get the
>>> following tex
>>> error on
>>> luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en

>>> )
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/regi-ini.tex
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/regi-ini.mkiv))
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/enco-ini.tex
>>> encoding : coding def is loaded
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/enco-def.tex
>>> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=93529].
>>> \setvalue ...xpandafter \def \csname #1\endcsname
>>>
>>> <argument> ...aracterencoding \string cyrillicdze}
>>>                                                   {dze}
>>> \secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2
>>>
>>> l.683 \definecharacter cyrillicdze    {dze}
>>> ... etc.
>>>
>>> However, my texmf.cnf has: pool_size = 1250000 (standard
>>> texlive2007 values)
>>>
>>> What is wrong?
>> Please, have a look at
>> can't find file `context.tex'
>> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/026438.html
>
> That seems another error to me. I do not see tex complaining of not
> finding context.tex as in the above mentioned problem.
>
>> In short:
>> don't mix texlive with mkiv;
>> use justtex.zip and linuxtex.zip
>
> Why is this? Cannot mkiv and texlive coexist in the same tree? I
> certainly hope that is not true, it would certainly make me refrain
> from using mkiv!

i see no real problem why they cannot coexist if only because luatex
will end up in tex live sooner or later

it't just that the current tex live does not ship with all the fonts
that we want to use in luatex

also, mkiv is not depending on anything in tex live, it uses files in
the base context tex path plus a few scripts (luatools and mtxrun)

the problems that you run into have to do with the fact that mkiv needs
a cache path for saving info (e.g. about fonts) and setting this up
right needs some experimentation and feedback from users; each
distribution and tex system is different it seems

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-08-13  8:49   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2007-08-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)