* spurious space in cite
@ 2006-01-15 12:26 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-15 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was typesetting bibliography references with the command
	\cite[data][ref]
and then found that a spce preceded the author name; surrounding the
space with X and Y, it gives
	"X Yauthor" instead of "XYauthor

I was able to trace it down to the macro invertedshortauthor in thise
case, but I suspect the others (invertedauthor,  normalauthor,
normalshortauthor) will exhibit the same phenomenon.
The macro is:

\def\invertedshortauthor#1#2#3#4#5%
   {\bibdoif{#2}{#2\bibalternative\c!vonsep}%
    #3\bibalternative\c!surnamesep
    \bibdoif{#5}{#5\bibalternative\c!juniorsep}%
    \bibdoif{#4}{#4\unskip}}

tracingmacros shows an empty #2-argument takes the \c!vonsep, in bibl-
apa.tex defined as a space.

I first wondered if the \bibdoif's shouldn't be replaced by a
\bibdoifnot.
Anyway, that makes the spurious spaces go away.
But it seems not right, so I investigated the bibdoif's and found the
following behaviour when calling with empty and nonempty arguments.

			bibdoif:\crlf
			empty = \bibdoif{}{empty}\crlf
			notempty = \bibdoif{x}{notempty}\par
			bibdoifnot:\crlf
			empty = \bibdoifnot{}{empty}\crlf
			notempty = \bibdoifnot{x}{notempty}\par
			bibdoifelse:\crlf
			empty = \bibdoifelse{}{first}{second}\crlf
			notempty = \bibdoifelse{x}{first}{second}\par

Typesetting gives as a result:

bibdoif:
empty = empty
notempty = notempty
bibdoifnot:
empty =
notempty =
bibdoifelse:
empty = first
notempty = first

So I have my doubts about the doif's.

Finally another observation on the typesetting by \cite[data][ref].
When typesetting a reference ending on a period, for example "Publ.
Co. Inc.", the result has a double period "Publ. Co. Inc.."
That looks somewhat silly.

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: spurious space in cite
@ 2006-01-15 12:41 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-15 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I was typesetting bibliography references with the command
>     \cite[data][ref]
> and then found that a spce preceded the author name; surrounding the
> space with X and Y, it gives
>     "X Yauthor" instead of "XYauthor
>
> I was able to trace it down to the macro invertedshortauthor in thise
> case, but I suspect the others (invertedauthor,  normalauthor,
> normalshortauthor) will exhibit the same phenomenon.

I hate to tell you this because you spent so much time on it, but
this has been adressed in the beta already.

> Finally another observation on the typesetting by \cite[data][ref].
> When typesetting a reference ending on a period, for example "Publ.  Co.
> Inc.", the result has a double period "Publ. Co. Inc.."
> That looks somewhat silly.

I'll saee what I can do about that, but it is a bit harder to fix.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: spurious space in cite
@ 2006-01-15 18:59   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-15 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 15, 2006, at 13:41, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> I was typesetting bibliography references with the command
>>     \cite[data][ref]
>> and then found that a spce preceded the author name; surrounding
>> the  space with X and Y, it gives
>>     "X Yauthor" instead of "XYauthor
>> I was able to trace it down to the macro invertedshortauthor in
>> thise  case, but I suspect the others (invertedauthor,
>> normalauthor,  normalshortauthor) will exhibit the same phenomenon.
>
> I hate to tell you this because you spent so much time on it, but
> this has been adressed in the beta already.

Never mind, such things happen. And its good to see I am still able
to trace my way down a TeX-problem (although it took a good part of
the morning, bit rusty I guess).
But I willwait for the patch to come out in the regular ConTeXt
distribution; there was a time I was eager to grab betas, but for
this moment production stability has higher priority.

>> Finally another observation on the typesetting by \cite[data][ref].
>> When typesetting a reference ending on a period, for example
>> "Publ.  Co. Inc.", the result has a double period "Publ. Co. Inc.."
>> That looks somewhat silly.
>
> I'll saee what I can do about that, but it is a bit harder to fix.

Yes, I guess it is a lot harder. That's why I commented somewhat
cautiously. But it would be nice if it can be done. I am a bit of a
perfectionist!

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer