* Failure building standalone
@ 2013-06-20 13:18 hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-06-20 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I tried building the standalone but ran into a snag.

Here is the error message display when I ran "first-setup.sh":
----------------

 sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex --context=current
receiving incremental file list
rsync: change_dir "/setup/cygwin" (in minimals) failed: No such file or directory (2)

sent 4 bytes  received 8 bytes  3.43 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1508) [Receiver=3.0.7]

mtxrun          | unknown script './bin/mtx-update.lua'

----------------

I take this to mean it can't change to Context's /setup/bin

The ... setup/cygwin directories are in my local build directory is in   /usr/local/context
and not located off of root /

Is this because the cygwin build is out-of-date or not supported anymore?

Regards

* Re: Failure building standalone
@ 2013-06-20 13:34 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-06-20 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM,  <hwitloc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried building the standalone but ran into a snag.
>
> Here is the error message display when I ran "first-setup.sh":
> ----------------
>
>  sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex --context=current
> receiving incremental file list
> rsync: change_dir "/setup/cygwin" (in minimals) failed: No such file or directory (2)
>
> sent 4 bytes  received 8 bytes  3.43 bytes/sec
> total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
> rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1508) [Receiver=3.0.7]
>
> mtxrun          | unknown script './bin/mtx-update.lua'
>
> ----------------
>

> I take this to mean it can't change to Context's /setup/bin

It can change to http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/cygwin (or
rather: it's rsync equivalent).

Someone started providing the binaries, but later gave up.

However, recent posts seem to suggest that normal windows binaries
should work as well.

> The ... setup/cygwin directories are in my local build directory is in   /usr/local/context
> and not located off of root /
>
> Is this because the cygwin build is out-of-date or not supported anymore?

It's kind of not-supported because nobody was willing to inspect how
to build the binaries, but a few days ago I got reports that it should
work.

Can you please try to fetch first-setup.sh once more and try again?

Mojca

* Re: Failure building standalone
@ 2013-06-20 16:39   ` hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-06-20 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks  Mojca.   Re-running the command today got me a little further.  Thank you.

The problem encounted now is:

--------------------------------
 sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex --context=current
receiving incremental file list

sent 64 bytes  received 322 bytes  85.78 bytes/sec
total size is 10993585  speedup is 28480.79
env: mtxrun: Permission denied

--------------------------------

I explicity set the permissions to allow me execute access, but script fails toward the end.
But, it looks lke the sh script itself is chaning the perameters.  Or else my setup is intentionally tricking me.

@ 2013-06-21  5:56     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-06-21  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM,  <hwitloc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks  Mojca.   Re-running the command today got me a little further.  Thank you.
>
> The problem encounted now is:
>
> --------------------------------
>  sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex --context=current
> receiving incremental file list
>
> sent 64 bytes  received 322 bytes  85.78 bytes/sec
> total size is 10993585  speedup is 28480.79
> env: mtxrun: Permission denied
>
> --------------------------------
>
> I explicity set the permissions to allow me execute access, but script fails toward the end.
> But, it looks lke the sh script itself is chaning the perameters.  Or else my setup is intentionally tricking me.

Unless you comment out the part of first-setup.sh which syncs
./bin/mtxrun.exe, the file is going to be overwritten each time and
the file on server wasn't executable (because it usually doesn't make
any difference for windows users anyway).

I fixed the executable bits on server. Please try again.

(But please note that when we user rsync as provided by rsync in past,
binaries were broken even if the executable bit was set on the server.
We had to use "set cygwin nontsec" or something like this to overcome
the problem, or run chmod after each sync. I hope that you won't be
bitten by this, but we were.)

Mojca

* Re: Failure building standalone
@ 2013-06-21  7:54       ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-06-21  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All, Mojca,

please excuse my ignorance of the inner workings of windows, but
would it not be possible to have the permissions corrected by the first-setup.sh
script after the rsync?

regards
	Keith.

@ 2013-06-21  9:16         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-06-21  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi All, Mojca,
>
> please excuse my ignorance of the inner workings of windows, but
> would it not be possible to have the permissions corrected by the first-setup.sh
> script after the rsync?

(I'm not sure to which part you were replying.)

Sure it could, but it's way better if the original file on the server
already has the right permissions, else rsync will keep reverting the
change, over and over again. (We are talking about using cygwin
directly now.)

The problems that we had on native windows (using cygwin's rsync only)
was that even with proper permissions on the server, cygwin did
something very bad/weird with permissions on the client's side, so the
resulting binaries were completely useless. Of course, running chmod
helped, but that's a weird cure because it has to be repeated after
each sync. Each sync "fixes" (= destroys) permissions again. Using the
weird nontsec setting solved the problem, even though I still believe
that that could be considered a bug in rsync or its port to Windows.

Mojca

* Re: Failure building standalone
@ 2013-06-21 11:11           ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-06-21 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

I agree with you fully. It was just a thought.

The problem is most likely a bug in the port.

I had figured that first-setup.sh should be run anyway
using chmod should do the trick. In other words for cygwin
first-setup.sh cleans up what has gone wrong during transfer.

regards
	Keith.