* Misaligned Marks
@ 2011-06-19  5:11 Marc Trius
From: Marc Trius @ 2011-06-19  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi All,
I am trying to set some text in Hebrew with diacritical marks, and whenever there is a diacritical that's supposed to come in the middle of a letter, all the marks are coming off misaligned, right after the glyph rather than in the middle of it (or wherever they're supposed to be).

I've attached a ConTeXt and Gimp output using the same font, Ezra SIL.

Here is the code:

  \definefontfeature
    [hebrew] [
      mode=node,
      expansion=quality,
      protrusion=quality,
      language=dflt,
      script=hebr,
      liga=yes,
      rlig=yes,
      dlig=yes,
      clig=yes,
      mark=yes,
      mkmk=yes,
      kern=yes
      ]

  \starttypescript [serif] [ezrasil]
    \definefontsynonym	[Ezra-SIL-Regular]	[name:ezrasil]	[features=hebrew]
    \definefontsynonym	[Ezra-SIL-Bold]		[name:ezrasil]	[features=hebrew]
    \definefontsynonym	[Ezra-SIL-Italic]	[name:ezrasil]	[features=hebrew]
    \definefontsynonym	[Ezra-SIL-Bold-Italic]	[name:ezrasil]	[features=hebrew]
  \stoptypescript

  \starttypescript [serif] [ezrasil] [name]
    \definefontsynonym	[Serif]           	[Ezra-SIL-Regular]	[features=hebrew]
    \definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]     	[Ezra-SIL-Italic]	[features=hebrew]
    \definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]       	[Ezra-SIL-Bold]	[features=hebrew]
    \definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic] 	[Ezra-SIL-Bold-Italic][features=hebrew]
  \stoptypescript

      \definetypeface	[Hebrew]	[rm][serif][ezrasil]	[default] [features=hebrew]

\textdir TRT\pardir TRT\bodydir TRT\pagedir TRT

  \usetypescript   [Hebrew]
  \setupbodyfont   [Hebrew, 12pt]

\starttext
בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

Thanks for your help.
--
Marc Trius <derpayatz@riseup.net>

"The enemy is the gramophone mind, whether or not one agrees with the record that is being played at the moment." --- George Orwell

[-- Attachment #2: hebrew-context.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 42495 bytes --]

* Re: Misaligned Marks
@ 2011-06-19  5:40 ` Marc Trius
From: Marc Trius @ 2011-06-19  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Adding ccmp=yes to the font feature seems to fix this by replacing the problematic combinations with ligatures.

Thanks,
Marc

@ 2011-06-19  5:52 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-06-19  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.06.2011 um 07:11 schrieb Marc Trius:

> Hi All,
> I am trying to set some text in Hebrew with diacritical marks, and whenever there is a diacritical that's supposed to come in the middle of a letter, all the marks are coming off misaligned, right after the glyph rather than in the middle of it (or wherever they're supposed to be).
>
> I've attached a ConTeXt and Gimp output using the same font, Ezra SIL.
>
> Here is the code: ...

You can save a few lines and you should use \setupalign[r2l] instead of \textdir etc.

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes,mark=yes]

\starttypescript [serif] [ezrasil]
  \setups[font:fallback:serif]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif] [file:sileot] [features=hebrew]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [ezrasil]
  \definetypeface  [ezrasil] [rm] [serif] [ezrasil] [default]
  \quittypescriptscanning
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[ezrasil]

\setupalign[r2l]

\starttext
בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

or you use the simplefonts module (a little bit slower because it has to find the font which takes a while when only one style is available):

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes,mark=yes]

\setmainfont[Ezra SIL][features=hebrew]

\setupalign[r2l]

\starttext
בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Misaligned Marks
@ 2011-06-19 18:39   ` Marc Trius
From: Marc Trius @ 2011-06-19 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,
Thanks for the tips Wolfgang, I've been frustrated in the past by the amount of search-and-replaceing I had to do in order to change a font...

Now, I have another question: is there any way to make things like  \placefigure[right,fit] work in right-to-left? I am getting the empty space for the image on the right side where it should be, but the image itself gets superimposed on the text on the left side.

Thank you,
Marc

--

@ 2011-06-19 20:58     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-06-19 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.06.2011 um 20:39 schrieb Marc Trius:

> Now, I have another question: is there any way to make things like  \placefigure[right,fit] work in right-to-left? I am getting the empty space for the image on the right side where it should be, but the image itself gets superimposed on the text on the left side.

Can you open a new thread for your problem which contains a minimals example that illustrates your problem.

Wolfgang