* Creating a nomenclature section?
@ 2009-02-12 20:00 Michael Bynum
From: Michael Bynum @ 2009-02-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't been able to find any documentation about producing a
nomenclature section in a document using context.  In the absence of a
command/module providing the functionality of something like the
nomencl package in latex, I was wondering if anyone else had an
elegant work around for this issue.  I guess I could just use a list
to make a nomenclature section, but that would lose a lot of the
functionality that makes something like nomencl useful.

Mike

* Re: Creating a nomenclature section?
@ 2009-02-17 18:58 ` Carsten Fechtmann
From: Carsten Fechtmann @ 2009-02-17 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mike

if something simple is what you had in mind for this, you might want
to try this:

\definesynonyms[nomenclature][nomenclatures][\infull]
\setupsynonyms[nomenclature] %[criterium=all]

\starttext
\completelistofnomenclatures

\section{Some section}

% these could be placed anywhere
\nomenclature[PI]{$\pi$}{the ratio of the circumference with respect
to the diameter of a circle}
\nomenclature[Dia]{$d$}{the diameter of a circle}
% References to them can be placed inside the definition,
% you might want to write a macro for that if that is a feature you
use often

\input knuth

This is the symbol \PI. Please note that no math mode has to be used
here as that is taken care of in the definition.
% Nor for the diameter \Dia.

And just using the list of nomenclatures again:

\placelistofnomenclatures
Produces a list (sorted) of all or all used 'nomenclatures'. See also
the section about abbreviations in the ConTeXt handbook.

There is also the \type{...register} suite of commands if page entries
etc.\ are more what is needed.
\stoptext

Cheers
Carsten

@ 2009-02-18 15:45   ` Michael Bynum
From: Michael Bynum @ 2009-02-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I think this will suit my needs.  Thank you.  I have one
additional question though.  In the command
\definesynonyms[nomenclature][nomenclatures][\infull]

What does the [nomenclatures] field do?  Looking at the manual it
seems to be the "plural name" input, but what purpose does it serve?

@ 2009-02-27 17:27     ` Carsten Fechtmann
From: Carsten Fechtmann @ 2009-02-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18.02.2009 at 16:45 wrote Michael Bynum:

> Yes, I think this will suit my needs.  Thank you.  I have one
> additional question though.  In the command
> \definesynonyms[nomenclature][nomenclatures][\infull]
>
> What does the [nomenclatures] field do?  Looking at the manual it
> seems to be the "plural name" input, but what purpose does it serve?

Other than letting ConTeXt know that

\completelistofnomenclatures  % <- note the plural
	and
\placelistofnomenclatures % <- same here

belong to the 'nomenclature' definition...

No idea, but since one can (easily) define commands / synonyms in
other languages and not all use a simple 'add an "s" for plural' ...
My guess is, it is just for that (and very convenient at that)

Cheers
Carsten