* quote characters in luatex
@ 2007-10-02 15:18 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-10-02 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my experiments with luatex, there's one thing that may be
surprising for many users: we have come to expect that the characters
` and ' in our input files map to single left and single right
quotation marks. luatex just typesets them "verbatim," so to speak.
It converts the combination `` and '' to double quotation marks,
however. So my question: wouldn't it make sense to convert the single
marks as well? (And please don't tell me "Oh but you should use \quote
{} instead of ` '." I know that, but I guess that many users have
hundreds of old documents where they use `'. Moreover, ' also creates
the apostrophe character, which cannot be avoided.)

Best

Thomas

* Re: quote characters in luatex
@ 2007-10-02 15:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-02 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> In my experiments with luatex, there's one thing that may be
> surprising for many users: we have come to expect that the characters
> ` and ' in our input files map to single left and single right
> quotation marks. luatex just typesets them "verbatim," so to speak.
> It converts the combination `` and '' to double quotation marks,
> however. So my question: wouldn't it make sense to convert the single
> marks as well? (And please don't tell me "Oh but you should use \quote
> {} instead of ` '." I know that, but I guess that many users have
> hundreds of old documents where they use `'. Moreover, ' also creates
> the apostrophe character, which cannot be avoided.)

there is a feature:

texligatures=yes

for the rest, we can consider mappings but i fear that we end up in a
quote mess

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-10-02 15:44   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-10-02 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> there is a feature:
>
> texligatures=yes
>
> for the rest, we can consider mappings but i fear that we end up in a
> quote mess

is that the same as tlig=yes ? This doesn't effect the single quote.
I see the problem with the "quote mess"; in the old pdfTeX, it wasn't
even possible to get the ' character at all. But it is a minor
anoyance in terms of backward compatibility, I think.

@ 2007-10-02 16:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-02 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> there is a feature:
>>
>> texligatures=yes
>>
>> for the rest, we can consider mappings but i fear that we end up in a
>> quote mess
>>

> is that the same as tlig=yes ? This doesn't effect the single quote.

these quote thingies were actually font hacks, and depended on the
fontencoding and such, which makes files non portable

> I see the problem with the "quote mess"; in the old pdfTeX, it wasn't
> even possible to get the ' character at all. But it is a minor
> anoyance in terms of backward compatibility, I think.

well, we can make a converter, much simpler than the greek debabelizer -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-10-03 12:17       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-10-03 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 2, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> well, we can make a converter, much simpler than the greek
> debabelizer -)
>
> Hans

What, even simpler! :-)

Of course, it could also be done via Arthur's code for a fea file.
I'm just wondering if this behavior should be made the default.

Thomas