* 2 sets of footnotes?
@ 2010-08-05 10:35 Martin Althoff
From: Martin Althoff @ 2010-08-05 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all, I'm trying to do a (re-)layout for an older book which holds a few challenges for me. Hopefully I can find some help here.

In this book I need to track 2 kinds of footnotes, sidenotes and the original page numbering (I don't replicate the old text flow but put comments where pages originally change). My footnotes follow the current layout/flow, not the original layout.

My prime issue are having 2 sets of footnotes. One set of numbering (numbered 1,2,3...) is reset every section, which I figured out(\setupfootnotes [way=section]). A second set results out of comments the original Author placed into the margins. They are counted a, b, c... and are reset every page. Both are placed at the bottom of the relevant page. A set of sidenotes in the form "R nnn" is used from 1 to the end of the book to indicate the pages and positions where these sidenotes where placed. Currently I am not linking the second set of footnotes i.e. the author notes and the sidenote counter. Though it might be a nice luxury to generate a list of all author notes.

I looked at lists and I suppose footnotes use the list mechanism in the background. But I don't get anywhere with that. Trying to keep track of the author notes, the placing with \placelist[AuthorComment] doesn't seem to work in the example below. Besides, I don't see how they would appear or be placed as footnotes.

In short: How do I get 2 sets of footnotes: one per section, one per page?

Extensive (sorry) example below.

Thanks Martin

\mainlanguage [de]

\setuppapersize[A5][A5]

\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[pagella,12pt]

\setupinmargin[style=\rmx]

\setupindenting[yes,small]
\indenting[next]

\setupfootnotes [way=section]

\definelist[SideNote]
\setuplist[SideNote][width=2em]

\definelist[AuthorComment]
\setuplist[AuthorComment][width=2em,alternative=d]

\starttext
\startfrontmatter
	\completecontent[label=yes,alternative=c]
	\placelist[SideNote]
\stopfrontmatter

% Seite 85

\chapter {Ein Kapitel}

Die Welt

\section {§ 14. Die Idee}

Das blah balh \inmargin[+][R63]{R. 63} \writetolist[SideNote]{1 }{Rand 63} Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat\writetolist[AuthorComment]{a}{YYY ZZZ} nulla pariatur. \footnote{Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.} Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

\subsection{Header Header}

Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

\placelist[AuthorComment]

\textrule[top]{Old page break}
\noindent
\inmargin[+][S4]{S. 4}
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud \footnote{Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.}exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit

Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.\inmargin[+][R64]{R. 64} \writetolist[SideNote]{2}{Rand 64} Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

\section {§ 99. Überhaupt}

Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est \inmargin[+][R70]{R. 70} Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

\stoptext

* Re: 2 sets of footnotes?
@ 2010-08-05 15:21 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-08-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-08-05 um 12:35 schrieb Martin Althoff:

> In this book I need to track 2 kinds of footnotes, sidenotes and the
> original page numbering (I don't replicate the old text flow but put
> comments where pages originally change). My footnotes follow the
> current layout/flow, not the original layout.
> In short: How do I get 2 sets of footnotes: one per section, one per
> page?

Just a short, maybe not best-informed answer, without reading your
example:

In ConTeXt MkIV \setupfootnotes is gone, it's \setupnote[footnote] now
(and the "conversion" parameter was renamed to "numberconversion");
you can deduct that there are several kinds of notes should be simply
possible via \note[mynote]{} etc. (Since \note collides with MkII's
\note, I don't know and I can't test at the moment.)

Perhaps add your findings to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Footnotes

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: 2 sets of footnotes?
@ 2010-08-06  6:35   ` Martin Althoff
From: Martin Althoff @ 2010-08-06  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hraban, Thanks.

I will have a play with that -- I am always getting lost in the various sets of syntax rules (mk's, etc)...

You are right, the new MKIV syntax hints at possibilities. Is any documentation other than the footnote page on the wiki and a few recent posts? Do I really have to dig through the sources in base for switches, options, etc?

> In ConTeXt MkIV \setupfootnotes is gone, it's
> \setupnote[footnote] now (and the "conversion" parameter was
> renamed to "numberconversion"); you can deduct that there
> are several kinds of notes should be simply possible via
> \note[mynote]{} etc. (Since \note collides with MkII's
> \note, I don't know and I can't test at the moment.)

> Perhaps add your findings to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Footnotes

Happy to do so. I have never written on contextgarden. Just go ahead and modify and expand? Or go through the discussion page first? I'm a bit on the cautious side here ..

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: 2 sets of footnotes?
@ 2010-08-06  7:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-06  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-8-2010 8:35, Martin Althoff wrote:
> Hraban, Thanks.
>
> I will have a play with that -- I am always getting lost in the various sets of syntax rules (mk's, etc)...
>
> You are right, the new MKIV syntax hints at possibilities. Is any documentation other than the footnote page on the wiki and a few recent posts? Do I really have to dig through the sources in base for switches, options, etc?

As with most comands, there is a definecommand. As footnotes are
descriptions you set them up with two commands: \setupnote and
\setupdescriptions

>> In ConTeXt MkIV \setupfootnotes is gone, it's
>> \setupnote[footnote] now (and the "conversion" parameter was
>> renamed to "numberconversion"); you can deduct that there
>> are several kinds of notes should be simply possible via
>> \note[mynote]{} etc. (Since \note collides with MkII's
>> \note, I don't know and I can't test at the moment.)
>

>> Perhaps add your findings to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Footnotes
>
> Happy to do so. I have never written on contextgarden. Just go ahead and modify and expand? Or go through the discussion page first? I'm a bit on the cautious side here ..

there you go

\definenote [onenote] [location=page,way=bychapter]
\definenote [twonote] [location=text,way=bychapter]

\starttext

\chapter{First}

\section {Alpha} test \onenote{alpha one} \twonote {alpha two}
\section {Beta}  test \onenote{beta  one} \twonote {beta  two}

\subject {Notes} \placenotes[twonote]

\chapter{Second}

\section {Alpha} test \onenote{alpha one} \twonote {alpha two}
\section {Beta}  test \onenote{beta  one} \twonote {beta  two}

\subject {Notes} \placenotes[twonote]

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: 2 sets of footnotes?
@ 2010-08-10  2:50       ` Martin Althoff
From: Martin Althoff @ 2010-08-10  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does the job, thanks to Hans an Hraban!
Now, I'll have a look at putting that into the wiki.
Martin