* blackboard bold and calligraphic
@ 2005-11-28 16:46 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2005-11-28 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

BLACKBOARD

There is a problem with the Blackboard symbols, when used in regular
and bold forms both.

In the Lucida fontset there is a regular series in lbma (or hlcra),
and a bold series in font lbmad (or hlcda).
As I understand from the current code, switching from regular to bold
should be accompanied by a switch from Blackboard to something like
BlackboardBold in the command \bbd (from the sources I guess \bbd in
font-ini.tex is the most basic macro here).
The problem is that \bbd is defined as:
\def\bbd {\mathortext{\fam\purefamily  {blackboard}}{\symbolicfont
{Blackboard}}}
Thus the font is hardcoded to regular Blackboard.

I have no idea what should be the best strategy to repair this.
As for now, the most general mechanism for switching to other/bold
math fontfamilies I could find is using \bfmath (and friends).
The font needed is in one of the math font registers, of course, so
something like {\ma CNRZ} instead of {\bbd CNRZ} will do. But this
low level code makes the TeX text source explicitely dependent on the
font; for example in the AMS-series these characters are found in
msmb, usually ending up in \ma.

Is there some generic solution here?

CALLIGRAPHIC

There is a similar problem with $\cal ...$
It is defined as
\def\cal {\mathortext{\fam\purefamily{calligraphic}}{\symbolicfont
{Calligraphic}}}

I definded font "Calligraphic" but here ConTeXt does not seem to use
it in math mode. The calligraphic symbols appear to be taken from the
sy (symbol) math family instead of the Calligraphic font. It is a
problem, because in the font I am using the calligraphic letters are
in another font. Typesetting
${\cal XYZ}\hbox{\cal XYZ}$
gives the wrong characters from the symbol font in the first case,
the correct letters in the second.

How can this be solved?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-11-28 16:46 UTC | newest]