On 22 May 2016, at 15:11, Hans Hagen > wrote: Finally, when \definemode makes testing a lot faster why than not implement this always? That is, using \enablemode or \disablemode the first time implies a \definemode for that mode. Doing so avoids another macro to remember: less clutter for my brain ;-) because one property of modes is that one doesn't have to define them, you'd be quite unhappy if you would have to define all possible modes that could be introduced in styles The idea was not to have the user define the mode, but let ConTeXt automatically do the defining when it encounters a specific mode the first time. The work is done by ConTeXt then (would make me even more happy ;-) Hans van der Meer