* \externalfigure and factor=max
@ 2012-06-06 18:45 Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-06 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

according to the wiki the \externalfigure key “factor” has the

max: aspect ratio is kept, the image is scaled to
     the bigger (oversized) variant

fit: aspect ratio is kept, the image is scaled to
     the smaller (fitted) variant

In the following example I expect the third image to have a width of
4cm and a height of 4cm. However, both values are 3cm. The aspect
ratio is kept, but “max” and “fit” behave the same.

\startbuffer [img]
  \useMPlibrary [dum]
  \startTEXpage
    \externalfigure [dummy] [width=5cm,height=5cm]
  \stopTEXpage
\stopbuffer
\ctxcommand{runbuffer("img", "img", true)}

\starttext

\externalfigure [\jobname-img]
  [width=3cm, height=4cm]

\blank
\externalfigure [\jobname-img]
  [factor=fit, width=3cm, height=4cm]

\blank
\externalfigure [\jobname-img]
  [factor=max, width=3cm, height=4cm]

\stoptext

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding the wiki? Anyhow, is there a
clean solution to keep the aspect ratio and scale the image to
whichever value is larger?

Marco

* Re: \externalfigure and factor=max
@ 2012-06-07 17:34 ` Rogers, Michael K
From: Rogers, Michael K @ 2012-06-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 6, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Marco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to the wiki the \externalfigure key “factor” has the
>
> max: aspect ratio is kept, the image is scaled to
>     the bigger (oversized) variant
>
> fit: aspect ratio is kept, the image is scaled to
>     the smaller (fitted) variant
>
> In the following example I expect the third image to have a width of
> 4cm and a height of 4cm. However, both values are 3cm. The aspect
> ratio is kept, but “max” and “fit” behave the same.
>
> \startbuffer [img]
>  \useMPlibrary [dum]
>  \startTEXpage
>    \externalfigure [dummy] [width=5cm,height=5cm]
>  \stopTEXpage
> \stopbuffer
> \ctxcommand{runbuffer("img", "img", true)}
>
> \starttext
>
> \externalfigure [\jobname-img]
>  [width=3cm, height=4cm]
>
> \blank
> \externalfigure [\jobname-img]
>  [factor=fit, width=3cm, height=4cm]
>
> \blank
> \externalfigure [\jobname-img]
>  [factor=max, width=3cm, height=4cm]
>
> \stoptext
>
> Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding the wiki? Anyhow, is there a
> clean solution to keep the aspect ratio and scale the image to
> whichever value is larger?
>

> Marco

I played with your example a little and rooted around in grph-trf.mkiv.  It seems "max" selects how to scale based on which dimension in the original figure is greater.  Oddly, the dimensions of the MP figure are 142.26682pt by 142.2377pt.  So I suspect that "max" is selecting the width as the dimension to scale to the specified width=3cm in your case.  (Change the height of the MP figure to 5.01cm and you'll see a change.)  Whether that's a bug or intended is a question for others.  If not, then "max" is for this problem:

Q. How to scale an image so that the largest dimension is 4cm?
A.  \externalfigure [\jobname-img] [factor=max, width=4cm, height=4cm]

If this is correct, I'd be glad to try to clarify the wiki. (I've not done much wiki-ing.)

I suppose you could fix your problem with something like

\ifdim\desiredwidth>\desiredheight
        \externalfigure [\jobname-img][width=\desiredwidth]
\else
        \externalfigure [\jobname-img][height=\desiredheight]
\fi

________________________________

prohibited.

* Re: \externalfigure and factor=max
@ 2012-06-12 21:42   ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2012-06-12 21:47   ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-06-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sorry for the previous mail, here again with content:

On 2012-06-07 "Rogers, Michael K" <mroge02@emory.edu> wrote:

Hi Michael,

thanks for your investigations.

> Whether that's a bug or intended is a question for others.  If not, then "max" is for this problem:
>
> Q. How to scale an image so that the largest dimension is 4cm?
> A.  \externalfigure [\jobname-img] [factor=max, width=4cm, height=4cm]

I doubt that this is the intention behind the key.

Can someone confirm that this is a bug?

> If this is correct, I'd be glad to try to clarify the wiki. (I've not done much wiki-ing.)

Only if it's unlikely to be fixed (if it's in the wiki it's documented and a
feature, not a bug ;)

Marco