* Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-14 17:47 Harrie Frericks
From: Harrie Frericks @ 2009-07-14 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Now that I finally have Context running I'm trying to install a number of
type1 fonts. I've read the Texfont manual, but I couldn't find answers to
these questions:
1. Can Texfont recursively process a font tree?

I have a directory font tree like this:

c:\fonts\type1\font-family1
c:\fonts\type1\font-family2
c:\fonts\type1\font-family3

each font-family subdirectory has a number of .afm files. If I set
--sourcepath to c:\fonts\type1 can Texfont recurse all the subdirectories of
the font families and locate and process the .afm files?

2. Can Texfont handle .afm files with extensions in uppercase?

Most of my type1 font files are in uppercase like: XYZ_____.AFM   I can only
get Texfont to process these files if I first rename them to lowercase, like
XYZ_____.AFM

Thanks,

Harrie.

* Re: Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-14 18:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-14 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harrie Frericks wrote:
> Now that I finally have Context running I'm trying to install a number of
> type1 fonts. I've read the Texfont manual, but I couldn't find answers to
> these questions:
> 1. Can Texfont recursively process a font tree?
>
> I have a directory font tree like this:
>
> c:\fonts\type1\font-family1
> c:\fonts\type1\font-family2
> c:\fonts\type1\font-family3
>
> each font-family subdirectory has a number of .afm files. If I set
> --sourcepath to c:\fonts\type1 can Texfont recurse all the subdirectories of
> the font families and locate and process the .afm files?
>

> 2. Can Texfont handle .afm files with extensions in uppercase?
>
> Most of my type1 font files are in uppercase like: XYZ_____.AFM   I can only
> get Texfont to process these files if I first rename them to lowercase, like
> XYZ_____.AFM

since you're new to context you can consider skipping pdftex and moving
on to either xetex or luatex (which uses context mkiv)

for luatex/mkiv you don't need to mess around with fonts as this combo
directly handles afm/pfb files so there is no need for creating tfm metrics

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-07-14 18:15   ` Harrie Frericks
From: Harrie Frericks @ 2009-07-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hans, I will look into that.
Harrie

@ 2009-07-17  9:11   ` Harrie Frericks
From: Harrie Frericks @ 2009-07-17  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been looking into luatex and got it running now. However, i'm not sure
how to link a font that I want to use in my ConText documents to an actual
font file on my disk. For example, I have tried:

\definebodyfont[12pt][rm][
    tf="c:\fonts\ITC Stone Serif\SR______.AFM"
]

It doesn't work, so I guess this approach is both naive and optimistic.

I also read the manual "Texfont explained" for clues, but that didn't help
either.

Could someone show me how to use type1 font files with Luatex without having
to go the TexFont route.

Thanks, Harrie.

@ 2009-07-17  9:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harrie Frericks wrote:
> I've been looking into luatex and got it running now. However, i'm not sure
> how to link a font that I want to use in my ConText documents to an actual
> font file on my disk. For example, I have tried:
>
> \definebodyfont[12pt][rm][
>     tf="c:\fonts\ITC Stone Serif\SR______.AFM"
> ]

1. get rid of the funny names, so copy it to sr.afm (and also the pfb file)

2. put the files in your tex tree (texmf-fonts/fonts/afm/... and
/type1/...) and run luatools --generate

3. then try:

\definedfont[sr at 12pt] test

and see if you get the font

if that works, then take a look at the type-otf files to see how to
define typescripts

most of the font manuals can be skipped when using luatex/mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-07-17  9:53     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-17  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.07.2009 um 11:11 schrieb Harrie Frericks:

> Could someone show me how to use type1 font files with Luatex
> without having to go the TexFont route.

When you placed your fonts in the TeX directory (afm plus pfb files)
regenerate the file database
with 'context --generate' to let ConTeXt know about the new files.

To see what the real names of the fonts is you can show the complete
list on the terminal with
'mtxrun --script fonts --list', you can narrow down the list with
names when you use a search
pattern what could e in your case something like 'mtxrun --script
fonts --list --pattern=*stone*'

When you're font is not listed in the output from mtxrun update also
the font database with
the command 'mtxrun --script font --regenrate'.

To use the fonts in your document you can write a typescript for them
by hand [1] or use
the simplefonts module which offers a simpler method and does the hard
work itself hidden
for the user.

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTex

Wolfgang

* Re: Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-17 10:12       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-17 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 17.07.2009 um 11:11 schrieb Harrie Frericks:
>
>  Could someone show me how to use type1 font files with Luatex without
>> having to go the TexFont route.
>>

> When you placed your fonts in the TeX directory (afm plus pfb files)
> regenerate the file database
> with 'context --generate' to let ConTeXt know about the new files.

A question :
isn't afm  inside pfb ?

--
luigi

* Re: Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-17 10:17         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-17 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> A question :
> isn't afm  inside pfb ?

No (which is a bit annoying, and explains the existence of .pfm files)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-17 10:26           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-17 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
luigi

* Re: Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-17 11:08             ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-07-17 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ah ok, sorry, I was confused by this (on font-forge mailling list):
>

>>>   1) import widths from .afm file not working
>>>
>> Widths are not imported from afm files. Why should they be? Glyph widths
>> are in the pfa/pfb files and those are correct. Importing them from afm
>> files can just introduce errors.

  Some metric information is indeed already present in pfa / pfb files, but not
all of it (ligatures, kerning...)

	Arthur

* Re: Two newbie questions about Texfont
@ 2009-07-17 12:34       ` Harrie Frericks
From: Harrie Frericks @ 2009-07-17 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Wolfgang, that was another step in the right direction. Could you
help me with the next step? This is what I did so far. (N.B. I'm not
interested in TeX's standard fonts. I want to use my own type1 and otf fonts
which are in c:\fonts).
1. I set OSFONTDIR to c:\fonts
2. I ran mtxrun --script font --reload

That was succesfull. Mtxrun recursed the entire font directory tree.

3. I ran mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=*stone*.
I got about twenty lines of output in three columns. Here is an example:

stonesans  StoneSans c:/fonts/ITC Stone Sans/SS______.AFM

So far, so good. Now, I want to use this font and you included a link to a
Wiki article. This article says I have to use a typescript. The example
typescript from the Wiki uses the \definetypeface command. I searched
everywhere for a good description of this command, but wasn't able to find
one, unfortunately. Using the example from the Wiki:

\definetypeface [Bonum] [rm] [serif] [bonum] [default]

how would I use this command to be able to use my Stone Sans font from the
mtxrun output? In the [Bonum] example I can't find a reference to a font
file of the type c:\fonts\etc.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harrie.

@ 2009-07-18 11:44         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-18 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.07.2009 um 14:34 schrieb Harrie Frericks:

> 3. I ran mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=*stone*.
> I got about twenty lines of output in three columns. Here is an
> example:
>
> stonesans  StoneSans c:/fonts/ITC Stone Sans/SS______.AFM
>
> So far, so good. Now, I want to use this font and you included a
> link to a Wiki article. This article says I have to use a
> typescript. The example typescript from the Wiki uses the
> \definetypeface command. I searched everywhere for a good
> description of this command, but wasn't able to find one,
> unfortunately. Using the example from the Wiki:
>
> \definetypeface [Bonum] [rm] [serif] [bonum] [default]
>
> how would I use this command to be able to use my Stone Sans font
> from the mtxrun output? In the [Bonum] example I can't find a
> reference to a font file of the type c:\fonts\etc.....

The \definetypeface command alone is not enough, you have to tell