* Re: Split \starttabulates
       [not found] <mailman.350.1349253943.2084.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-02-11  0:58 ` Malte Stien
From: Malte Stien @ 2013-02-11  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

This is a bit old now, but I would like to come back to it. First of all, Marco, thank you for your response. I did try it and it does work. However, I seem to be loosing other things like adjusting the table width; things that \placetable provides.

\placetable also has the advantage that I don't have to wrap it around my tables, it just appears at the beginning, not the end. A couple of points:

- I tried to find some documentation about \startplacetable… \stopplacetable to see how I could enforce the width and generally to see what options there were. I could not find any, not even in the source code. How is this pair defined?

- I also tried to find out the overall problem with \placetable. According to this page here: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Floating_Objects the split option should work, but for TABLEs only. So, I think this does not work for me because I am using TABULATE, right? The split function in \setuptabulate works as well, but only if the table is not inserted using \placetable, that is as a float. So, \placetable knows how to split a TABLE but not a TABULATE although \starttabulate… \stoptabulate knows how to split itself. Is that right? But if it is not inserted as a float, I do not get a caption and I cannot refer to my table later on, right? There seem to be different ways of doing this, all of which miss out on some fine detail I need them to do. So, after all that rumbling, I guess, I am asking...

…is there another way of:
- placing a TABULATE table such that it has a caption that I can refer to;
- split the TABULATE table across multiple pages;
- and control the width of the TABULATE table.

Thank you,
Malte.

On 03/10/2012, at 6:45 PM, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:

> Hi Malte
>
>> \placetable[here][tab:some-table]{Some Table}
>> \starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
>> \HL
>> \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}	\NC\FR
>> \HL
>> \NC Cat	\NC Pretty cool		\NC\MR
>> \NC Bear	\NC Kind of lazy	\NC\MR
>> \NC Sheep	\NC Always hungry	\NC\MR
>> \HL
>> \stoptabulate
>>
>> However, I need one of these tables to split over adjacent pages, which according to the documentation should be achievable with
>>
>> \setuptabulate[split=yes]
>>
>> However, that does not seem to work in connection with the \placetable line.
>
> \startplacetable [title=Some Table, reference=tab:some-table, location={split,here}]
>  \starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
>    \HL
>    \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}	\NC\FR
>    \HL
>    \NC Cat	\NC Pretty cool		\NC\MR
>    \NC Bear	\NC Kind of lazy	\NC\MR
>    \NC Sheep	\NC Always hungry	\NC\MR
>    \HL
>  \stoptabulate
> \stopplacetable
>
> Marco

* Re: Split \starttabulates
@ 2013-02-11  1:28   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-02-11  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Malte Stien wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a bit old now, but I would like to come back to it. First of all, Marco, thank you for your response. I did try it and it does work. However, I seem to be loosing other things like adjusting the table width; things that \placetable provides.
>
> \placetable also has the advantage that I don't have to wrap it around my tables, it just appears at the beginning, not the end. A couple of points:

\placetable and \startplacetable are equivalent. To be able to split
floats, you need to specify the **split** option:

\starttext
\placetable[split,here][tab:ref]{Sometable}
   {\starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
     \HL
     \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}  \NC\FR
     \HL
     \dorecurse{50}
     {\NC Cat     \NC Pretty cool         \NC\MR}
     \NC Bear    \NC Kind of lazy        \NC\MR
     \NC Sheep   \NC Always hungry       \NC\MR
     \HL
   \stoptabulate}
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: Split \starttabulates
@ 2013-02-11  5:06     ` Malte Stien
From: Malte Stien @ 2013-02-11  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya,

Thank you; you are right, too. I can't believe I did not try that.

Regards,
Malte.

On 11/02/2013, at 12:28 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Malte Stien wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is a bit old now, but I would like to come back to it. First of all, Marco, thank you for your response. I did try it and it does work. However, I seem to be loosing other things like adjusting the table width; things that \placetable provides.
>>
>> \placetable also has the advantage that I don't have to wrap it around my tables, it just appears at the beginning, not the end. A couple of points:
>
> \placetable and \startplacetable are equivalent. To be able to split floats, you need to specify the **split** option:
>
> \starttext
> \placetable[split,here][tab:ref]{Sometable}
>  {\starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
>    \HL
>    \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}  \NC\FR
>    \HL
>    \dorecurse{50}
>    {\NC Cat     \NC Pretty cool         \NC\MR}
>    \NC Bear    \NC Kind of lazy        \NC\MR
>    \NC Sheep   \NC Always hungry       \NC\MR
>    \HL
>  \stoptabulate}
> \stoptext
>
> Aditya

* Re: Split \starttabulates
@ 2012-10-03  7:16 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-03 Malte Stien <malte@stien.de>:

Hi Malte

>  \placetable[here][tab:some-table]{Some Table}
>  \starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
>  \HL
>  \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}	\NC\FR
>  \HL
>  \NC Cat	\NC Pretty cool		\NC\MR
>  \NC Bear	\NC Kind of lazy	\NC\MR
>  \NC Sheep	\NC Always hungry	\NC\MR
>  \HL
>  \stoptabulate
>
> However, I need one of these tables to split over adjacent pages, which according to the documentation should be achievable with
>
>  \setuptabulate[split=yes]
>
> However, that does not seem to work in connection with the \placetable line.

\startplacetable [title=Some Table, reference=tab:some-table, location={split,here}]
  \starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
    \HL
    \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}	\NC\FR
    \HL
    \NC Cat	\NC Pretty cool		\NC\MR
    \NC Bear	\NC Kind of lazy	\NC\MR
    \NC Sheep	\NC Always hungry	\NC\MR
    \HL
  \stoptabulate
\stopplacetable

Marco

* Split \starttabulates
@ 2012-10-03  6:28 Malte Stien
From: Malte Stien @ 2012-10-03  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I have a number of tables defined like this:

 \placetable[here][tab:some-table]{Some Table}
 \starttabulate[|w(.30\textwidth)p|w(.70\textwidth)p|]
 \HL
 \NC {\bf Animal} \NC {\bf Comment}	\NC\FR
 \HL
 \NC Cat	\NC Pretty cool		\NC\MR
 \NC Bear	\NC Kind of lazy	\NC\MR
 \NC Sheep	\NC Always hungry	\NC\MR
 \HL
 \stoptabulate

However, I need one of these tables to split over adjacent pages, which according to the documentation should be achievable with

 \setuptabulate[split=yes]

However, that does not seem to work in connection with the \placetable line. That is, if I put that last line in front of the block mentioned above, the table does still not split across adjacent pages. I have to remove the \placetable line for the \setuptabulate line to have any effect, except then I loose my caption and can no longer cross-reference to table either.

Any clues?

Thank you,
Malte.