Dear list, the attached .tex file is the minimal working example we discussed today in the online meeting. I realized that the approach of looping through k of p[k] is not fitting my needs, because it's not flexible enough. I need another approach, one which works with layer sets. I would stop using p as an array, because with the layer sets approach we don't have a fixed order of the layers. So the definition of the layers would be something like picture layerA; layerA:=image( label("Word 1", z1); ); picture layerW; layerW:=image( label("Mot 2", z2); ); picture layerM; layerM:=image( label("Parola 3", z3); ); picture layerC; layerC:=image( label("Wort 4", z3+z1); ); picture layerY; layerY:=image( label("Nummer 5", z2+z3); ); picture layerU; layerU:=image( label("number 6", z2+z1); ); After that, I would define layer sets and layer subsets. This will be done manually for each layer set and each layer subset. I don't know the proper syntax to do that. Let's assume we could use a variable type called "myset". myset layersubsetGamma; layersubsetGamma:={layerU,layerM}; In my logic, the layers will be drawn in the order of their appearance within the {}. In the example, drawn content of layerM might cover drawn content of layerU. Contrary to a layer subset, each layer set will result in a PDF page, and thus the layer sets are related to each other by an inner order. That's why I would use an array variable here with []. I don't know how to append a set. In the following example, I assumed there would be a function myappend(, ) myset layerset[]; layerset1 := {layerW,layerA}; layerset2 := myappend{layerset1, layerY}; layerset3 := myappend{layerset2, layersubsetGamma}; layerset4 := myappend{layerset2, layerU}; layerset5 := myappend{layerset4, layersubsetGamma}; Finally, I would need each layerset[k] typeset on its own pdf page. And of course on each page k, only the layers which appear in the definition of the layerset[k] should be drawn on top of each other in the order as they appear in that definition. I'm very curious to hear your suggestions. Thanks Emanuel