* latest beta has trouble loading fonts on OS X
@ 2009-08-13  9:50 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-08-13  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all, Hans,

I have trouble using my own fonts with the latest beta on my OS X box.
The problem appears to be that it is unable to create the database.
When I run (on

mtxrun --script fonts --list

I get as the last lines of my output

MTXrun | fontnames: globbing path /Library/Fonts/**.dfont
MTXrun | fontnames: globbing path /System/Library/Fonts/**.dfont
font loading failed for /System/Library/Fonts/Keyboard.dfont

It appears this particular font cannot be loaded, so the entire
database fails. On my linux laptop, everything works as expected.

So my questions are:

1. What can be done about it?

2. Where is OSFONTDIR set on mkiv? I specifically do NOT want my
system fonts used by ConTeXt; everything I want to use with TeX is in
one of my texmf trees. How can I prevent mkiv from taking the system
paths into account?

All best

Thomas

* Re: latest beta has trouble loading fonts on OS X
@ 2009-08-13 10:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-13 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all, Hans,
>
> I have trouble using my own fonts with the latest beta on my OS X box.
> The problem appears to be that it is unable to create the database. When
> I run (on
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list
>
> I get as the last lines of my output
>
> MTXrun | fontnames: globbing path /Library/Fonts/**.dfont
> MTXrun | fontnames: globbing path /System/Library/Fonts/**.dfont
> font loading failed for /System/Library/Fonts/Keyboard.dfont
>
> It appears this particular font cannot be loaded, so the entire database
> fails. On my linux laptop, everything works as expected.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. What can be done about it?

currently only loading dfonts is implemented; the backend code in luatex
has to be written yet (will happen soon)

> 2. Where is OSFONTDIR set on mkiv? I specifically do NOT want my system
> fonts used by ConTeXt; everything I want to use with TeX is in one of my
> texmf trees. How can I prevent mkiv from taking the system paths into
> account?

indeed, putting them in the tree is more robust (and controllable)

mojca is supposed to know the osfontdir details

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-14  8:33   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-08-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 2. Where is OSFONTDIR set on mkiv? I specifically do NOT want my
>> system fonts used by ConTeXt; everything I want to use with TeX is
>> in one of my texmf trees. How can I prevent mkiv from taking the
>> system paths into account?
>
> indeed, putting them in the tree is more robust (and controllable)
>
> mojca is supposed to know the osfontdir details

May I jump in here with a question? The other day I realized that
whatever OSFONTDIR is set in texmf.cnf is overridden in

luatools.lua
mtxrun.lua
data-res.lua

and possibly in other files, too. While these fix functions point to
the correct osx font directories

1. ~/Library/Fonts
2. /Library/Fonts
3. /System/Library/Fonts

and set things up as intended for most scenarios presumably, we're
losing quite a bit of flexibility here I guess. Are this fix functions
considered a temporary workaround or are they part of a larger plan?
If they're just a hack, I'm wondering whether we could delegate
control over OSFONTDIR back to the configuration files ...

Oliver

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signierter Teil der Nachricht --]

* Re: latest beta has trouble loading fonts on OS X
@ 2009-08-14  8:47     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-14  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>>> 2. Where is OSFONTDIR set on mkiv? I specifically do NOT want my
>>> system fonts used by ConTeXt; everything I want to use with TeX is in
>>> one of my texmf trees. How can I prevent mkiv from taking the system
>>> paths into account?
>>
>> indeed, putting them in the tree is more robust (and controllable)
>>
>> mojca is supposed to know the osfontdir details
>
> May I jump in here with a question? The other day I realized that
> whatever OSFONTDIR is set in texmf.cnf is overridden in
>
> luatools.lua
> mtxrun.lua
> data-res.lua

only data-res, as the others use that (merged) ... i'll add a check for
cnf settings

> and possibly in other files, too. While these fix functions point to the
> correct osx font directories
>
> 1. ~/Library/Fonts
> 2. /Library/Fonts
> 3. /System/Library/Fonts
>
> and set things up as intended for most scenarios presumably, we're
> losing quite a bit of flexibility here I guess. Are this fix functions
> considered a temporary workaround or are they part of a larger plan? If
> they're just a hack, I'm wondering whether we could delegate control
> over OSFONTDIR back to the configuration files ...

the problem is that it's kind of unofficial and we cannot be soure if
it's set. anyhow, i'll also test the cnf data

     local ie, iv = instance.environment, instance.variables
     local function fix(varname,default)
         local proname = varname .. "." .. instance.progname or "crap"
         local p, v = ie[proname], ie[varname] or iv[varname]
         if not ((p and p ~= "") or (v and v ~= "")) then
             iv[varname] = default -- or environment?
         end
     end

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-14 14:24   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-08-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Hans Hagen wrote:

> currently only loading dfonts is implemented; the backend code in luatex
> has to be written yet (will happen soon)

A note for the brave: as of a few minutes ago, the luatex source (trunk)
in the supelec.fr repository is capable of handling dfont files in the
backend as well (you will also need the latest context beta, of course).

There will be a normal luatex beta sometime next week, but it would
be nice if some of the Mac-enabled people that know how to compile
luatex, could try to see if it really works 'in the wild'.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: latest beta has trouble loading fonts on OS X
@ 2009-08-14 15:24     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.08.2009 um 16:24 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> There will be a normal luatex beta sometime next week, but it would
> be nice if some of the Mac-enabled people that know how to compile
> luatex, could try to see if it really works 'in the wild'.

The fonts are found

$ mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=baskerville*
baskerville                Baskerville                  /Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont (sub)
baskervillebold            Baskerville Bold             /Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont (sub)
baskervillebolditalic      Baskerville Bold Italic      /Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont (sub)
baskervilleitalic          Baskerville Italic           /Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont (sub)
baskervillesemibold        Baskerville SemiBold         /Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont (sub)
baskervillesemibolditalic  Baskerville SemiBold Italic  /Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont (sub)

but this

\starttext
{\definedfont[name:baskerville*default]Baskerville}
\stoptext

fails

!LuaTeX error: writefont.c: The file (/Library/Fonts/
Baskerville.dfont) does not contain font `Baskerville-2'
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Wolfgang

* Re: latest beta has trouble loading fonts on OS X
@ 2009-08-14 15:28       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-08-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> but this
>
> \starttext
> {\definedfont[name:baskerville*default]Baskerville}
> \stoptext
>
> fails
>
> !LuaTeX error: writefont.c: The file (/Library/Fonts/Baskerville.dfont)
> does not contain font `Baskerville-2'

That is a somewhat weird font name. Can you run the code below
to see that font name info it reports for that dfont file?

\starttext
\ctxlua {
  print(
    table.serialize(
      fontloader.info('/Library/Fonts/Baskerville.dfont')))}
\stoptext

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: latest beta has trouble loading fonts on OS X
@ 2009-08-14 15:37         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.08.2009 um 17:28 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> That is a somewhat weird font name. Can you run the code below
> to see that font name info it reports for that dfont file?

I get the same message with Optima, American Typewriter and Futura.

> \starttext
> \ctxlua {
>  print(
>    table.serialize(
>      fontloader.info('/Library/Fonts/Baskerville.dfont')))}
> \stoptext

t={
  {
   ["familyname"]="Baskerville",
   ["fontname"]="Baskerville-Bold",
   ["fullname"]="Baskerville Bold",
   ["italicangle"]=0,
   ["version"]="6.0d2e1",
   ["weight"]="Bold",
  },
  {
   ["familyname"]="Baskerville",
   ["fontname"]="Baskerville-SemiBold",
   ["fullname"]="Baskerville SemiBold",
   ["italicangle"]=0,
   ["version"]="6.0d2e1",
   ["weight"]="Demi",
  },
  {
   ["familyname"]="Baskerville",
   ["fontname"]="Baskerville-SemiBoldItalic",
   ["fullname"]="Baskerville SemiBold Italic",
   ["italicangle"]=-17,
   ["version"]="6.0d2e1",
   ["weight"]="Demi",
  },