* authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-01 23:17 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2014-10-01 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,
as I’m working on a book that is a collection of essays by various authors, I need their names in the toc.
I’m using mkiv and the command start chapter, in the first argument specifying the author param.

I’ve explored the wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents) but I don’t get it.

Can anyone provide some hints?

Thanks a lot!

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - StudiUm
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.fonurgia.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanderaalle/sets/
--> http://vimeo.com/vanderaalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous."
(Jeffrey 'The Dude' Lebowski)

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-02  9:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-10-02  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.10.2014 um 01:17 schrieb Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it>:

> Dear all,
> as I’m working on a book that is a collection of essays by various authors, I need their names in the toc.
> I’m using mkiv and the command start chapter, in the first argument specifying the author param.
>
> I’ve explored the wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents) but I don’t get it.
>
> Can anyone provide some hints?

There is a example on the wiki. You have to set your own values with the second argument of the \startchapter etc. command, to display the entry in the roc you have to write your own layout where you access it with the \structurelistuservariable command.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content

Wolfgang

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-02 17:42   ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2014-10-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014-10-02 05:18, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> There is a example on the wiki. You have to set your own values with
> the second argument of the \startchapter etc. command, to display the
> entry in the roc you have to write your own layout where you access it
> with the \structurelistuservariable command.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content
>
> Wolfgang

This example fails for me using the current (2014-09-27) standalone beta
and with TL14. The failure is that the list of authors is presented as a
grid without contents.

Changing any of the lines in the example that construct the table cells,
such as

    \bTD \structureuservariable{author} \eTD

    \bTD xx \structureuservariable{author} \eTD

results in a table with the new text, but no user variable text, showing
that the \structureuservariable commands are not returning any text in
this example.

Has something relevant changed since the example was prepared (2010-11
or earlier)?

(A pointer to useful descriptions of \structureuservariable and
\structurelistuservariable would also be welcome. In the wiki, the
startsection command description describes the former, but I have come
across no comprehensive description for either in the documentation.)

--
Rik Kabel

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-02 19:22     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-10-02 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.10.2014 um 19:42 schrieb Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com>:

> On 2014-10-02 05:18, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> There is a example on the wiki. You have to set your own values with the second argument of the \startchapter etc. command, to display the entry in the roc you have to write your own layout where you access it with the \structurelistuservariable command.
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>
> This example fails for me using the current (2014-09-27) standalone beta and with TL14. The failure is that the list of authors is presented as a grid without contents.
>
> Changing any of the lines in the example that construct the table cells, such as
> \bTD \structureuservariable{author} \eTD
> \bTD xx \structureuservariable{author} \eTD
> results in a table with the new text, but no user variable text, showing that the \structureuservariable commands are not returning any text in this example.
>
> Has something relevant changed since the example was prepared (2010-11 or earlier)?
>
> (A pointer to useful descriptions of \structureuservariable and \structurelistuservariable would also be welcome. In the wiki, the startsection command description describes the former, but I have come across no comprehensive description for either in the documentation.)

First you have to make a distinction between the values which are set with the first and second argument of \startchapter, \startsection etc.  While the first argument takes only certain keys, e.g. title, bookmark etc. you’re free to choose your own keys for the second argument because they are considered userdata.  The point of this userdata is to give users a way to specify information which are printed in the table of content or in the header, to access these values context provides two commands.  When you create a new layout for the table of contents you can use the \structurelistuservariable command which takes the name of the key with the information as argument and when you create a new header layout you can use the \structureuservariable command.

\define[3]\ChapterListCommand
  {\starttabulate
   \NC Number \NC #1 \NC\NR
   \NC Title  \NC #2 \NC\NR
   \NC Page   \NC #3 \NC\NR
   \TB[medium]
   \NC File   \NC \structurelistuservariable{file} \NC\NR
   \stoptabulate}

\setuplist[chapter][alternative=command,command=\ChapterListCommand]

\define[2]\ChapterHeadCommand
  {\startframed[align=flushleft,strut=no]
     \starttabulate[before=,after=]
     \NC Number \NC #1 \NC\NR
     \NC Title  \NC #2 \NC\NR
     \TB[medium]
     \NC File   \NC \structureuservariable{file} \NC\NR
     \stoptabulate
   \stopframed}

\setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterHeadCommand]

\starttext

\completecontent

\startchapter[title=Knuth example][file=knuth.tex]
\input knuth
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title=Zapf example][file=zapf.tex]
\input zapf
\stopchapter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-03 14:32   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2014-10-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, it’s a bit too complicated for me now, I was hoping for something like a before argument where to place the author param from the chapter.

Best

On 02 Oct 2014, at 11:18, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 02.10.2014 um 01:17 schrieb Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it>:
>
>> Dear all,
>> as I’m working on a book that is a collection of essays by various authors, I need their names in the toc.
>> I’m using mkiv and the command start chapter, in the first argument specifying the author param.
>>
>> I’ve explored the wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents) but I don’t get it.
>>
>> Can anyone provide some hints?
>
> There is a example on the wiki. You have to set your own values with the second argument of the \startchapter etc. command, to display the entry in the roc you have to write your own layout where you access it with the \structurelistuservariable command.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-03 17:00     ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2014-10-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014-10-03 10:32, Andrea Valle wrote:
> Thanks, it’s a bit too complicated for me now, I was hoping for
> something like a before argument where to place the author param from
> the chapter.

Andrea,

If you can accept the author's name on a separate line in the toc and
also a little less automation than the example that uses user structure
variables, you might consider the \writebetweenlist command. In addition
to the wiki entry (which is incomplete with respect to the parameters),
see the recent email thread with the subject "Chapter precis
<http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg75670.html>." The
following may be a useful starting point:

    \starttext
    \completecontent
    \chapter{This is a chapter}
    \writebetweenlist[chapter][location=here]{\hskip4em\it Author Name}
    \input ward
    \section{A section}
    \section{Another section}
    \chapter{Another chapter}
    \stoptext

--
Rik

* Generate Authorlist example fails, was Re:  authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-03 19:09       ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2014-10-03 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014-10-02 15:22, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> [...]
>    \NC Page   \NC #3 \NC\NR
>    \TB[medium]
>    \NC File   \NC \structurelistuservariable{file} \NC\NR
>    \stoptabulate}
>
> \setuplist[chapter][alternative=command,command=\ChapterListCommand]
>
> \define[2]\ChapterHeadCommand
>   {\startframed[align=flushleft,strut=no]
>      \starttabulate[before=,after=]
>      \NC Number \NC #1 \NC\NR
>      \NC Title  \NC #2 \NC\NR
>      \TB[medium]
>      \NC File   \NC \structureuservariable{file} \NC\NR
>      \stoptabulate
>    \stopframed}
>
> \setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterHeadCommand]
>
> \starttext
>
> \completecontent
>
> \startchapter[title=Knuth example][file=knuth.tex]
> \input knuth
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter[title=Zapf example][file=zapf.tex]

Thank you, Wolfgang, for that explanation.

Can you suggest what might be wrong with the example at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content?

The list of authors is created, so the user variable 'author' is set at
for \doifsomething. When the index for the author list is set to a
constant, only one row is generated, but when it is the user variable
'name' the right number of rows is created, so 'name' is also set when
it is referenced as the key in the author list sorting macro. Each line
of the table is empty, suggesting that within the scope of the table the
user variables are reset to nil. The same problem exists when
\starttabulate is used instead of \bTABLE.

--
Rik

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2014-10-03 20:04       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2014-10-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot Rik,
I’ll look into it

On 03 Oct 2014, at 19:00, Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com> wrote:

> On 2014-10-03 10:32, Andrea Valle wrote:
>> Thanks, it’s a bit too complicated for me now, I was hoping for something like a before argument where to place the author param from the chapter.
>>

> Andrea,
>
> If you can accept the author's name on a separate line in the toc and also a little less automation than the example that uses user structure variables, you might consider the \writebetweenlist command. In addition to the wiki entry (which is incomplete with respect to the parameters), see the recent email thread with the subject "Chapter precis." The following may be a useful starting point:
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \chapter{This is a chapter}
> \writebetweenlist[chapter][location=here]{\hskip4em\it Author Name}
> \input ward
> \section{A section}
> \section{Another section}
> \chapter{Another chapter}
> \stoptext
>
> --
> Rik

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2015-04-10 17:33     ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-04-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Another bump. The example on the wiki still fails.

@ 2015-04-11  7:27       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-04-11  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 10.04.2015 um 19:33 schrieb Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com>:
>
> Another bump. The example on the wiki still fails.
>
> On 2014-10-02 13:42, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> On 2014-10-02 05:18, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> There is a example on the wiki. You have to set your own values with the second argument of the \startchapter etc. command, to display the entry in the roc you have to write your own layout where you access it with the \structurelistuservariable command.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Generate_Authorlist_from_Head_Content>
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>>
>> This example fails for me using the current (2014-09-27) standalone beta and with TL14. The failure is that the list of authors is presented as a grid without contents.
>>
>> Changing any of the lines in the example that construct the table cells, such as
>> \bTD \structureuservariable{author} \eTD
>> \bTD xx \structureuservariable{author} \eTD
>> results in a table with the new text, but no user variable text, showing that the \structureuservariable commands are not returning any text in this example.
>>
>> Has something relevant changed since the example was prepared (2010-11 or earlier)?
>>
>> (A pointer to useful descriptions of \structureuservariable and \structurelistuservariable would also be welcome. In the wiki, the startsection command description describes the former, but I have come across no comprehensive description for either in the documentation.)

You have to expand the whole content of the sort entry with

  \expanded{\author[…]{…}}

Wolfgang

* Re: authors in the toc
@ 2015-04-11 16:02         ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-04-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2015-04-11 03:27, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> Am 10.04.2015 um 19:33 schrieb Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com
>> <mailto:context@rik.users.panix.com>>:
>>
>> Another bump. The example on the wiki still fails.

>>> This example fails for me using the current (2014-09-27) standalone
>>> beta and with TL14. The failure is that the list of authors is
>>> presented as a grid without contents.
>>>
>>> Changing any of the lines in the example that construct the table
>>> cells, such as
>>>
>>>     \bTD \structureuservariable{author} \eTD

>>>     \bTD xx \structureuservariable{author} \eTD
>>>
>>> results in a table with the new text, but no user variable text,
>>> showing that the \structureuservariable commands are not returning
>>> any text in this example.
>>>
>>> Has something relevant changed since the example was prepared
>>> (2010-11 or earlier)?
>>>
>>> (A pointer to useful descriptions of \structureuservariable and
>>> \structurelistuservariable would also be welcome. In the wiki, the
>>> startsection command description describes the former, but I have
>>> come across no comprehensive description for either in the
>>> documentation.)
>
> You have to expand the whole content of the sort entry with
>
>   \expanded{\author[…]{…}}
>
> Wolfgang

Thank you for the fix. Wiki updated.

--