* Re: Combining figures
@ 2009-05-09 11:15 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2009-05-09 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \placefigure{some title}
>   {\placeontopofeachother
>      {\externalfigure[figure 1]}
>      {\externalfigure[figure 2]}}
>

> \placefigure{some title}
>   {\hbox\placesidebyside
>      {\externalfigure[figure 1]}
>      {\externalfigure[figure 2]}}
>
> Wolfgang

and:

> \placefigure
> [here,force][fig:Ex6]{Ux zeuhl, ma lamax quolt epp ik, korsa ozlint
> vusp urfa,.}
> \startcombination[2*1]
> {\externalfigure[Ex6a]}{}
> {\externalfigure[Ex6b]}{}
>                        ^^
> \stopcombination
>
> Wolfgang

Both work. Thank you.  Stupid of me to forget or neglect a pair of empty
curly braces.

* Re: Combining figures
@ 2009-05-09 11:52 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-05-09 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 9, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Both work. Thank you.  Stupid of me to forget or neglect a pair of
> empty curly braces.

I don't know if this is of any comfort to you, but you're not alone:

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20050406.125324.0c9e677e.en.html

Thomas

* Re: Combining figures
@ 2009-05-09 20:29 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2009-05-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On May 9, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
> > Both work. Thank you.  Stupid of me to forget or neglect a pair of
> > empty curly braces.
> >

> I don't know if this is of any comfort to you, but you're not alone:
>
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20050406.125324.0c9e677e.en.html
>
> Thomas
>
> Some comfort, yes, thank you. The tricky thing was that I coiuld not find
any clue in the logfile: leaving out both empty curly braces generates no
error message and the file typesets beautifully except for this one detail,
a vertical instead of the desired horizontal arrangement of two figures. But
when one leaves out only one of the empty curly braces the file does not
typeset at all and there is a clear (well, fairly clear) error message. Like
what happens for instance when one leaves out the {} for the caption
after \placefigure[][].
A useful experience anyway. Thanks again.
Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: Combining figures
@ 2009-05-09 10:39 ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2009-05-09 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

i think, you just forgot the second pair of curly brackets({}):

{\externalfigure[Ex6a]}{}
{\externalfigure[Ex6b]}{}

for me (mac, context 2009.04.10 18:02 MKII) your code works fine like
this, the two side by side.

Greets

On May 9, 2009, at 10:19 , Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM, <ntg-context-request@ntg.nl>, Mojca
> Miklavec and Thomas Floeren wrote, respectively:
>

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 21:53, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I am working on a text that contains many combined figures, some
> side by
> > side, ?some arranged vertically. I use, following ?ConTeXt, an
> excursion?,
> > \startcombination[1*2] and \startcombination[2*1] respectively.
> The first
> > one works, the second doesn?t, that is, it also places the figures
> one above
> > the other. It happens both with the ?MacTeX?-version of ConTeXt
> and with the
> > minimals.
> > What can I do to place two figures side by side with a single
> caption?
>
> Both variants work for me.
>
> \starttext
> \placefigure{some title}
> {\startcombination[1*2]
>        {\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
>        {\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
> \stopcombination}
> \placefigure{some title}
> {\startcombination[2*1]
>        {\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
>        {\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
> \stopcombination}
> \stoptext
>
> Mojca
>

> ------------------------------
>

> For me normally \startcombination[2*1] .. works. MKII; Side by side
> with a single caption.
> Please tell me if I didnt understand your problem.
>
> Greetings
> Tom
>
> Thanks to Mojca and Tom,
> With Mojca’s commands, {\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}, it works for me
> too. But I do not want the figures framed. When I replace that piece
> with {\externalfigure[NameofFigure]}, the figures are placed
> vertically, both with [2*1] and with [1*2].
> I have uploaded a folder with a small testfile, which on my Mac
> shows this behaviour, as you can see in the pdf. (For convenience I
> have entered the two possibilities in the testfile, one of them
> commented out.) It can be downloaded from http://web.me.com/blackstone.robert/filechute/Combining_Figures.zip
> .
> Maybe there are some other errors in the file that I do not know of.
> Thanks for the attention.
> Best regards,
> Robert Blackstone

* Re: Combining figures
@ 2009-05-09  8:49 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.05.2009 um 10:19 schrieb Robert Blackstone:

> For me normally \startcombination[2*1] .. works. MKII; Side by side
> with a single caption.
> Please tell me if I didnt understand your problem.

\placefigure
[here,force][fig:Ex6]{Ux zeuhl, ma lamax quolt epp ik, korsa ozlint
vusp urfa,.}
\startcombination[2*1]
{\externalfigure[Ex6a]}{}
{\externalfigure[Ex6b]}{}
                        ^^
\stopcombination

Wolfgang

* Re: Combining figures.
@ 2009-05-09  8:35   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-09  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.05.2009 um 22:06 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> \starttext
> \placefigure{some title}
> {\startcombination[1*2]
> 	{\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
> 	{\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
> \stopcombination}

\placefigure{some title}
   {\placeontopofeachother
      {\externalfigure[figure 1]}
      {\externalfigure[figure 2]}}

> \placefigure{some title}
> {\startcombination[2*1]
> 	{\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
> 	{\framed[width=5cm]{}}{}
> \stopcombination}

\placefigure{some title}
   {\hbox\placesidebyside
      {\externalfigure[figure 1]}
      {\externalfigure[figure 2]}}

Wolfgang

* Combining figures
@ 2009-05-09  8:19 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2009-05-09  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-05-08 20:10 ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2009-05-08 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 8, 2009, at 21:53 , Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am working on a text that contains many combined figures, some
> side by side,  some arranged vertically. I use, following “ConTeXt,
> an excursion”, \startcombination[1*2] and \startcombination[2*1]
> respectively. The first one works, the second doesn’t, that is, it
> also places the figures one above the other. It happens both with
> the “MacTeX”-version of ConTeXt and with the minimals.
> What can I do to place two figures side by side with a single caption?
> Thanks in advance,
> Robert Blackstone

* Re: Combining figures.
@ 2009-05-08 20:06 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-05-08 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 21:53, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am working on a text that contains many combined figures, some side by
> side,  some arranged vertically. I use, following “ConTeXt, an excursion”,
> \startcombination[1*2] and \startcombination[2*1] respectively. The first
> one works, the second doesn’t, that is, it also places the figures one above
> the other. It happens both with the “MacTeX”-version of ConTeXt and with the
> minimals.
> What can I do to place two figures side by side with a single caption?

Both variants work for me.

\starttext
\placefigure{some title}
{\startcombination[1*2]