From: Nigel King <king@dircon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: MetaFun on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 09:33:26 +0000	[thread overview]

> if you run mp 'runtime', you also have to enable write18 in texmf.cnf; see
> cont-sys.rme for other details.

Thanks for previous help, I am afraid I have still not got mp runtime
working (after much trial and error). I think I have found most of the
documentation on the subject (and mailinglist output) but still do not get
runtime graphics inclusion and update.

>From cont-sys.rme:-
% Enabling run time \METAPOST\ (also enable \write18 in texmf.cnf):

>From metafun-s.pdf:-
"When you are using the web2c distribution, CONTEXT can call METAPOST at
runtime and thereby use the right graphics instantaneously. In order to use
this feature, you have to enable \write18 in the file texmf.cnf. Also, in
the file cont-sys.tex, that holds local preferences, or in the document
source, you should say:

\runMPgraphicstrue

This enables runtime generation of graphics using the low level TEX command
\write18. First make sure that your local brand of TEX supports this
feature. A simple test is making a TEX file with the following line:

\immediate\write18{echo It works}

If this fails, you should consult the manual that comes with your system,
locate an expert or ask around on the CONTEXT mailing list."

My problems here are:-

1. I do not know how to "enable \write18". Exactly how is this written into
the file texmf.cnf, and

2. I do not know whether the test "\immediate\write18{echo It works}"
passes, there is no error message and "echo It works" appears on the
terminal demonstrating that \write18 has gone passed without obvious error.
However TeX does not exit so I type \end. The logfile is included
immediately below:-
------
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=tex 2001.10.24)  4 NOV
2001 08:00
**testwrite18
(testwrite18.tex
echo It Works