* btex..etex problem
@ 2002-01-05  1:36 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-01-05  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am progressing reasonably well with context but I cannot get the
btex..etex facility to work. In the texexec manual it says to include the
lines

openout_any = a
shell_escape = t
allow_multiple_suffixes = f
TEX = texexec --once --batch

in texmf.cnf which I have put in the config file in the highest directory
/sw/ using fink as the distribution mechanism.

If I manually mpost mpgraph.mp then the generated files get included on
subsequent texexec runs. What am I doing wrong?
--
Nigel
Ps. sorry about the extra 660 lines in previous message "docs for beginners"

* Re: btex..etex problem
@ 2002-01-07 11:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-07 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:36 AM 1/5/2002 +0000, Nigel King wrote:
>I am progressing reasonably well with context but I cannot get the
>btex..etex facility to work. In the texexec manual it says to include the
>lines
>
>openout_any = a
>shell_escape = t
>allow_multiple_suffixes = f
>TEX = texexec --once --batch

the last line is not really needed

>in texmf.cnf which I have put in the config file in the highest directory
>/sw/ using fink as the distribution mechanism.
>
>If I manually mpost mpgraph.mp then the generated files get included on
>subsequent texexec runs. What am I doing wrong?

there are two ways to process the mp graphics:

(1) at run time:

--- needs the changes in texmf.cnf that you already did
--- needs a couple of lines in your local cont-sys.tex (see cont-sys.rme)

here you have to give tex permission that you want to enable run time
processing, and tell context that you did; when set up all right, btex-etex
should work

(2) between runs

--- either run texexec --mptex yourfile-mpgraph.mp
--- or better, use the --automp switch

in this case, texexec will analyze the files and determine if and how to
orun mpost (using the metafun format and calling tex if needed in order to
resolve btex-etex)

Here i have set (1) and run realtime in most cases, but when i have many
graphics, i say --automp

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: btex..etex problem
@ 2002-01-08 14:27   ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-01-08 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> there are two ways to process the mp graphics:
>
> (1) at run time:
>
> --- needs the changes in texmf.cnf that you already did
> --- needs a couple of lines in your local cont-sys.tex (see cont-sys.rme)
Thanks for this undiscovered file. I had actually got most of these commands
in my file.

A confusion that I have found is a complaint at the first btex...etex when
the error is later in the file.

> here you have to give tex permission that you want to enable run time
> processing, and tell context that you did; when set up all right, btex-etex
> should work
>
> (2) between runs
>
> --- either run texexec --mptex yourfile-mpgraph.mp
> --- or better, use the --automp switch
>
> in this case, texexec will analyze the files and determine if and how to
> orun mpost (using the metafun format and calling tex if needed in order to
> resolve btex-etex)
>
> Here i have set (1) and run realtime in most cases, but when i have many
> graphics, i say --automp
I will give this a try--In a 'correct' file method 1 does not always upgrade
everything it should on a run.

---
Nigel King

* Re: btex..etex problem
@ 2002-01-08 15:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:27 PM 1/8/2002 +0000, Nigel King wrote:

>I will give this a try--In a 'correct' file method 1 does not always upgrade
>everything it should on a run.

in the case that context is not able to determine that tex is t be used, say:

\forceMPTEXgraphictrue