* Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
       [not found] <mailman.336.1365582553.2084.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-04-10  8:46 ` "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-04-10  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 10.04.2013 10:29, schrieb ntg-context-request@ntg.nl:
> mtxrun --script font --list --all --pattern=*garamond*
I got this:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
adobegaramondpro                  agaramondprobold
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Bold.otf
adobegaramondprobold              agaramondprobold
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Bold.otf
adobegaramondproitalic            agaramondprobolditalic
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf
adobegaramondpronormal            agaramondproitalic
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Italic.otf
adobegaramondproregular           agaramondprobold
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Bold.otf
agaramondprobold                  agaramondprobold
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Bold.otf
agaramondprobolditalic            agaramondprobolditalic
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf
agaramondproitalic                agaramondproitalic
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Italic.otf
agaramondproregular               agaramondproregular
c:/windows/fonts/AGaramondPro-Regular.otf
ebgaramond                        ebgaramond08regular
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-Regular.otf
ebgaramond08regular               ebgaramond08regular
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-Regular.otf
ebgaramond08regularsmallcaps      ebgaramond08sc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-SC.otf
ebgaramond08sc                    ebgaramond08sc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-SC.otf
ebgaramond12allsc                 ebgaramond12allsc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-AllSC.otf
ebgaramond12allscnormal           ebgaramond12allsc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-AllSC.otf
ebgaramond12italic                ebgaramond12italic
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-Italic.otf
ebgaramond12regular               ebgaramond12regular
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-Regular.otf
ebgaramond12regularallsmallcaps   ebgaramond12allsc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-AllSC.otf
ebgaramond12regularsmallcaps      ebgaramond12sc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-SC.otf
ebgaramond12sc                    ebgaramond12sc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-SC.otf
ebgaramondinitials                ebgaramondinitials
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-Initials.otf
ebgaramondinitialsf1              ebgaramondinitialsf1
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF1.otf
ebgaramondinitialsf2              ebgaramondinitialsf2
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF2.otf
ebgaramondinitialsfill1           ebgaramondinitialsf1
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF1.otf
ebgaramondinitialsfill1normal     ebgaramondinitialsf1
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF1.otf
ebgaramondinitialsfill1regular    ebgaramondinitialsf1
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF1.otf
ebgaramondinitialsfill2           ebgaramondinitialsf2
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF2.otf
ebgaramondinitialsfill2normal     ebgaramondinitialsf2
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF2.otf
ebgaramondinitialsfill2regular    ebgaramondinitialsf2
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-InitialsF2.otf
ebgaramondinitialsnormal          ebgaramondinitials
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-Initials.otf
ebgaramondinitialsregular         ebgaramondinitials
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond-Initials.otf
ebgaramonditalic                  ebgaramond12italic
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond12-Italic.otf
ebgaramondnormal                  ebgaramond08regular
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-Regular.otf
ebgaramondregular                 ebgaramond08regular
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-Regular.otf
ebgaramondsc                      ebgaramond08sc
c:/windows/fonts/EBGaramond08-SC.otf
garamond                          garamond c:/windows/fonts/GARA.TTF
garamondantiqua                   garamondantiqua c:/windows/fonts/91545.ttf
garamondbold                      garamondbold c:/windows/fonts/GARABD.TTF
garamondhalbfett                  garamondhalbfett
c:/windows/fonts/91547.ttf
garamonditalic                    garamonditalic c:/windows/fonts/GARAIT.TTF
garamondkursiv                    garamondkursiv c:/windows/fonts/91546.ttf
garamondkursivhalbfett            garamondkursivhalbfett
c:/windows/fonts/91548.ttf
garamondnormal                    garamondantiqua c:/windows/fonts/91545.ttf
stempelgaramondbold               stempelgaramondbold
c:/windows/fonts/11547.ttf
stempelgaramondbolditalic         stempelgaramondbolditalic
c:/windows/fonts/11548.ttf
stempelgaramonditalic             stempelgaramonditalic
c:/windows/fonts/11546.ttf
stempelgaramondroman              stempelgaramondroman
c:/windows/fonts/11545.ttf
stempelgaramondromanbold          stempelgaramondbold
c:/windows/fonts/11547.ttf
stempelgaramondromanbolditalic    stempelgaramondbolditalic
c:/windows/fonts/11548.ttf
stempelgaramondromanitalic        stempelgaramonditalic
c:/windows/fonts/11546.ttf
stempelgaramondromannormal        stempelgaramondroman
c:/windows/fonts/11545.ttf
++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe too many different garamonds?

Another interesting question: I compared the results using the
Simplefont solution and your Typescript solution, both with hanging.
Both works, but it is not the same output. It seems, that with
Simplefont it is "nicer", in the following sence: The distance between a
capital of a beginning word to the next letter it better typed, f.e. in
"Hans Meier" the distance of "H" to "ans" could be too much in the
typescript example, but is perfect with Simplefont.

Where does this difference in typography between Typescript and
Simplefont comes from?

Huseyin

* Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
@ 2013-04-10  9:26   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-10  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.04.2013 um 10:46 schrieb "H. Özoguz" <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:

> [...]
> garamondnormal                    garamondantiqua             c:/windows/fonts/91545.ttf
> stempelgaramondbold               stempelgaramondbold         c:/windows/fonts/11547.ttf
> stempelgaramondbolditalic         stempelgaramondbolditalic   c:/windows/fonts/11548.ttf
> stempelgaramonditalic             stempelgaramonditalic       c:/windows/fonts/11546.ttf
> stempelgaramondroman              stempelgaramondroman        c:/windows/fonts/11545.ttf
> stempelgaramondromanbold          stempelgaramondbold         c:/windows/fonts/11547.ttf
> stempelgaramondromanbolditalic    stempelgaramondbolditalic   c:/windows/fonts/11548.ttf
> stempelgaramondromanitalic        stempelgaramonditalic       c:/windows/fonts/11546.ttf
> stempelgaramondromannormal        stempelgaramondroman        c:/windows/fonts/11545.ttf

This is no problem because they have different names, you can try the following example:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[Garamond]
%\setmainfont[Adobe Garamond Pro]
%\setmainfont[AGaramondPro]
%\setmainfont[EBGaramond]
%\setmainfont[Stempel Garamond]

\starttext
Regular, \it Italic, \bf Bold and \bi Bolditalic.
\stoptext

> Another interesting question: I compared the results using the Simplefont solution and your Typescript solution, both with hanging. Both works, but it is not the same output. It seems, that with Simplefont it is "nicer", in the following sence: The distance between a capital of a beginning word to the next letter it better typed, f.e. in "Hans Meier" the distance of "H" to "ans" could be too much in the typescript example, but is perfect with Simplefont.
>
> Where does this difference in typography between Typescript and Simplefont comes from?

Maybe a kerning issue, you can add \showfontkerns at the begin of your document to visualize the kerning.

Wolfgang

* Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
@ 2013-04-10 21:35   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-10 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 10.04.2013 um 12:59 schrieb "H. Özoguz" <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:
>

>>> Can you add “mode=node” to \definefontfeature in the typescript based solution.
>>
>> Ok, now the kerning is exactly the same, what does mode=node do?
>
> Read chapter 2 of Hans new font manual: http://www.pragma-ade.nl/show-man-54.htm
>
> @Hans: In section 2.1 of the manual you wrote the “node” mode as “mode”.

ok, fixed but not upload yet

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-04-10 21:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-04-10 10:59 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-04-10 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2013-04-10 10:09   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-10 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.338.1365586023.2084.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-04-10  9:56 ` "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-04-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2013-04-10  8:13   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.04.2013 um 10:07 schrieb "H. Özoguz" <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:

> By the way: I still do not understand, why it is not possible in ConTeXt (in Simplefont) just to say
>
> \setmainfont[AGaramondPro]
>
> and nothing more! It should identify regular, bold, italic automatically, like all other programms here do without problems. Or do I miss an important point here?

What do you get when you type this on the command  line?

       [not found] <mailman.329.1365547442.2084.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-04-10  8:07 ` "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-04-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 10.04.2013 00:44, schrieb ntg-context-request@ntg.nl:
> Or with the marvelous simplefonts module:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[AGaramondPro][boldfont=AGaramondPro-Bold,
>    italicfont=AGaramondPro-Italic, bolditalicfont=AGaramondPro-BoldItalic,
>    protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
> \setupalign[hz, hanging]
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

Thank your very much Peter, that works! I tried many times to get it
work with SimpleFont, but did not know, that it is possible with
SimpleFont to define regular, italic, bold separately.

By the way: I still do not understand, why it is not possible in ConTeXt
(in Simplefont) just to say

\setmainfont[AGaramondPro]

and nothing more! It should identify regular, bold, italic
automatically, like all other programms here do without problems. Or do
I miss an important point here?

Thanks for your help.
Huseyin

* Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
@ 2013-04-10  8:06   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.04.2013 um 10:00 schrieb "H. Özoguz" <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:

> Am 10.04.2013 00:44, schrieb ntg-context-request@ntg.nl:
>> I corrected your example above:
>>
>> \starttypescript [serif] [nimbus]
>>   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:AGaramondPro-Regular.otf]
>>   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [file:AGaramondPro-Bold.otf]
>>   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [file:AGaramondPro-Italic.otf]
>>   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
>>
>> \definetypeface [nimbus] [rm] [serif] [nimbus] [features=default]
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[nimbus,rm,12pt]
>>
>> \setupalign[hz,hanging]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> thank you. But your correction does not work, too. With your code the font AGaramondPro is not used, and no hanging either (even not with the then used Standard-Font). If I remove
>
> [features=default]
>
> then again Garamond is used, but still without hanging. It seems very tricky to define these things correctly, at least for me... :)

I missed a parameter for \definetypeface, replace the defintion above with this one:

@ 2013-04-10  8:00 ` "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-04-10  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 10.04.2013 00:44, schrieb ntg-context-request@ntg.nl:
> I corrected your example above:
>
> \starttypescript [serif] [nimbus]
>    \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:AGaramondPro-Regular.otf]
>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [file:AGaramondPro-Bold.otf]
>    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [file:AGaramondPro-Italic.otf]
>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
>
> \definetypeface [nimbus] [rm] [serif] [nimbus] [features=default]
>
> \setupbodyfont[nimbus,rm,12pt]
>
> \setupalign[hz,hanging]
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang,

thank you. But your correction does not work, too. With your code the
font AGaramondPro is not used, and no hanging either (even not with the
then used Standard-Font). If I remove

[features=default]

then again Garamond is used, but still without hanging. It seems very
tricky to define these things correctly, at least for me... :)

Thanks.
Huseyin

* Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
@ 2013-04-09 21:54       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-04-09 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 09 2013, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \starttypescript [serif] [nimbus]
>   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:AGaramondPro-Regular.otf]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [file:AGaramondPro-Bold.otf]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [file:AGaramondPro-Italic.otf]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
>
> \definetypeface [nimbus] [rm] [serif] [nimbus] [features=default]
>
> \setupbodyfont[nimbus,rm,12pt]
>
> \setupalign[hz,hanging]
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

Or with the marvelous simplefonts module:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[AGaramondPro][boldfont=AGaramondPro-Bold,
  italicfont=AGaramondPro-Italic, bolditalicfont=AGaramondPro-BoldItalic,
  protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\setupalign[hz, hanging]
\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext

;)

--
           Peter

* Re: Hanging and Protrusion with Typescript
@ 2013-04-09 21:20     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-09 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.04.2013 um 21:45 schrieb "H. Özoguz" <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:

>> Best look into some type-imp files to see how typescript are defined.
>
> I looked in the wiki, and my minexample is from the wiki, too. What is a "type-imp"?

Hans speaks of the type-imp-texgyre.mkiv, type-imp-latinmodern.mkiv etc. files

> So I changed the code into:
> +++++++++++++++
> \starttypescript [serif] [nimbus]
>
> \definefontsynonym [Serif] [file:AGaramondPro-Regular.otf]
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [file:AGaramondPro-Bold.otf]
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-Italic.otf]
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf]
>
> \stoptypescript
>

> \definefontfeature
>
> [default]
>
> [default]
>
> [protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
>

> \setupalign[hz,hanging]
>
> \setupbodyfont[nimbus,rm,12pt]
>

> \definetypeface [nimbus] [rm] [serif] [nimbus]
>

> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>

> Hanging is now activated, but not with the defined font "AGaramondPro", but with Computer Modern, so now the typescript is not accepted. So changing the command orders does not help, at least not alone.

You tried to load your nimbus font before it was defined, move \definetypeface *before* \setupbodyfont to make it work.

> Sorry, I did not understand, what you mean with
> "what features? maybe add *default or so ... depends on how general definitions are".

You need [features=default] either at the end of each \definefontsynonym command or at the end of \definetypeface.

@ 2013-04-09 19:45   ` "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-04-09 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2013-04-09 19:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/9/2013 3:10 PM, "H. Özoguz" wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> normally I use simplefont, with protrusion and typescript. But
> Simplefont does not recognize the regular, italic, and bold of
> AdobeGaramondPro correctly by default. So I tried to work with a
> typescript definition, and it works - with the exception of hanging (and
> protrusion?). This is my example:

Best look into some type-imp files to see how typescript are defined.

> +++++++++++++++++++++++
> \enableregime[utf]

^^ not needed

> \starttypescript [serif] [nimbus]
>
> \definefontsynonym [Serif] [file:AGaramondPro-Regular.otf]
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [file:AGaramondPro-Bold.otf]
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-Italic.otf]
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [file:AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf]
>
> \stoptypescript

what features? maybe add *default or so ... depends on how general
definitions are

> \definetypeface [nimbus] [rm] [serif] [nimbus]
>

> \definefontfeature
>
> [default]
>
> [default]
>
> [protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

should come before \definetypeface

> \setupalign[hz,hanging]
>
> \setupbodyfont[nimbus,rm,12pt]
>

> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext
>

> The Font is correctly used by ConText, but no hanging is applied. How to
> achieve that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Huseyin

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE