* presentation module
@ 2007-07-22 12:46 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-07-22 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

after some feedback and some more fiddling around, I have now
uploaded a first (beta) version of the presentation module. It can be
downloaded at the garden: http://modules.contextgarden.net/taspresent

It has been improved (at least I hope); in particular, it provides
more configurability and a couple of new styles. Have a look and let
me know if you like it. (And those to whom I have sent the first
version: feedback would still be welcome!)

Best

Thomas

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-08-08  7:17 ` Saji Njarackalazhikam Hameed
From: Saji Njarackalazhikam Hameed @ 2007-08-08  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas,

Thanks for the presentation module. It is great. Just to let you know
that the following files are missing in the zip file provided at

> downloaded at the garden: http://modules.contextgarden.net/taspresent

1. demo.tex
2. hor.jpg, vert.jpg

saji

* Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> [2007-07-22 14:46:07 +0200]:

> Hi all,
>
> after some feedback and some more fiddling around, I have now
> uploaded a first (beta) version of the presentation module. It can be
> downloaded at the garden: http://modules.contextgarden.net/taspresent
>
> It has been improved (at least I hope); in particular, it provides
> more configurability and a couple of new styles. Have a look and let
> me know if you like it. (And those to whom I have sent the first
> version: feedback would still be welcome!)
>
> Best
>
> Thomas

Saji N. Hameed

APEC Climate Center          				+82 51 668 7470
National Pension Corporation Busan Building 12F
Yeonsan 2-dong, Yeonje-gu, BUSAN 611705			saji@apcc21.net
KOREA

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-08-08  9:16   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-08-08  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Saji,

thanks for the hint! This has finally motivated me to upload the new
version (which had been done for a couple of days); it should be
available at the garden. I hope this one has all the files. Have a
look at the new styles and let me know if they work for you.

Thomas

On Aug 8, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Saji Njarackalazhikam Hameed wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the presentation module. It is great. Just to let you know
> that the following files are missing in the zip file provided at
>
>> downloaded at the garden: http://modules.contextgarden.net/taspresent
>
> 1. demo.tex
> 2. hor.jpg, vert.jpg
>
> saji

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-08-08 10:48     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-08-08 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> thanks for the hint! This has finally motivated me to upload the new
> version (which had been done for a couple of days); it should be
> available at the garden.

Hello Thomas,

it would be nice, to have your module in the distribution (cont-ext.zip).

Cheers and thanks for your module, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-08-08 10:57       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-08-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Aug 8, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> thanks for the hint! This has finally motivated me to upload the new
>> version (which had been done for a couple of days); it should be
>> available at the garden.
>
> Hello Thomas,
>
> it would be nice, to have your module in the distribution (cont-
> ext.zip).
>
> Cheers and thanks for your module, Peter

Sure, that's fine with me! Who generates cont-ext.zip and who decides
what goes in there? I think the module is tds compliant, so that
should be OK!

Thomas

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-30  9:52               ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-30  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Could you please take this discussion somewhere else? This is neither of
> interest for a ConTeXt mailing list, nor is the tone appropriate for this
> list. Thank you.

I don't think this topic is unrelated to ConTeXt (or TeX).
For a long time TeX macro packages has been focused on structured
documents (and it is obviously not WYSIWYG).
If someone can develop a GUI frontend (even a simple one to set
figure/textblock position) for TeX,
it will be as meaningful as what the TeX community is doing now (like
developing TeX engines, formats, source editors, fonts, etc.)
Obviously, all recent GUI frontends (texmacs, texword, etc.) are not
meant to do so, they only help the beginners to structure their
documents, not truly for document design purpose.

As to the tone, i admit it is unappropriate, sorry about that.

> Thomas

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-30  9:30             ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-04-30  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-04-30  9:21           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-30  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Marcin Borkowski
<mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Dnia Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:21:30AM +0800, Yue Wang napisa&#322;(a):

>> > Sure you can. Use a background layer, and then you can place the text
>> > whereever you want. Not as easy as in Keynote or powerpoint, but it can be
>> > done.
>>

>> achieve the "easiness" I mean.
>> positioning/adjusting graphics/text using a mouse is much easier than
>> do that with keyboard,
>> and one should compile/adjust xs and ys many times in order to get the
>> right result.
>
> Well, using the keyboard and not the mouse is IMHO one of the TeX (and
> LateX, and ConTeXt, and METAPOST, and METAFUN, and tikz) advantages: I
> may have repeatable (and uniform throughout the document) results
> without having to put a (physical) ruler onto my monitor;)...
>
> My experience shows that the best way to prepare a complicated document,
> and especially one containing complicated mathematics/graphics/tables,
> is to:
> 1. think about it
> 2. sketch it on a piece of paper
> 3. think a bit more
> 4. write down the important coordinates etc.
> 5. type into the computer what I have done in part 4.
>
> This way you don't really have to adjust it too many times (maybe twice
> or thrice).

Please design a few fancy slides in both Powerpoint/Keynote and TeX,
and compare the efforts you should take.
Good exercises to follow are Steve Jobs' WWDC presentations and Al
Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.
After doing so, you can come back and tell us that only twice
re-compilation are needed to design a good presentation.

>> not to say how to create beautiful 2d/3d charts and tables,
>> make simple drawings,
>
> metafun or tikz

there is an old saying in China: 站着说话不腰疼.
(you won't hurt your hip when you stand still while speaking)

>> get fancy templates,
>> apply some advanced features to graphics/texts (like mirror, or
>> believable shade)
>> Well, I know in theory everything above is doable using TeX,
>> but extra amount of work should be done, and the ConTeXt approach
>> (using metafun?) quite unproductive.
>
> As I said: the bulk of the work when preparing a good document is
> *thinking* (and writing the *text*).  Even two or three hours of typing
> don't really make a difference, especially if you get nicer results than
> when using mouse (each picture etc. in slightly different position
> and/or size...)

It is funny to say ConTeXt results will be better... Please try the
grid positioning feature in Keynote or InDesign CS4.
but even the picture are in slightly different position/size, the
viewer wont notice that.

As a contrast, trying again and again for tuning/positioning/compiling
TeX document (and lookup TeX commands on manual) will distract me from
real "thinking"

>> So unless someone develop a good GUI frontend for TeX,
>> using TeX for unstructured documents (like presentation slides) is
>> always not a good idea.
>
> This might be debatable, but I would risk a following statement: if you
> consider your presentation slides "unstructured", maybe it's time to
> devote more thinking to it...

I admit it is easy to create bulletpoint presentations in ConTeXt
(even easier than Keynote and PowerPoint, \item will do all the
stuffs)
But bear in mind structured presentation handout \neq structured
presentation slides
As far as I know, for most time, the presentation handout should be
structured (point 1, point 2, point3.1, point 3.2 ...) so the speaker
can cover the topic throughly.
However, a structured presentation slide (e.g., bulletpoint) is too
monotonous->dull to put the audience to sleep easily.
Only by careful reorganization of materials can the speaker makes an
awesome presentation.
That's why Steve Job's presentations are all unstructured, but the
audience know clearly what the key points are, and excited->scream
when watching his presentation.
TeX and XML are good for creating structured stuffs (books, journal
papers) where only item point/chapter/float/ref are needed, but
concerning unstructured stuffs like presentation slides, it will be
difficult to do that in just a few \items or \sections.

> But a GUI would be nice in fact, especially for tikz.  I agree that
> in some cases it would be faster to use it than to type everything.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)
>
> - Why vim users don't use the ESC key?
> - It's too far on the keyboard.  It's faster to type ctrl-[.

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-30  7:42         ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-30  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:21:30 +0800
Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> scribit:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> you can find that on http://modules.contextgarden.net/
> >>
> >> but anyway, you won't know how easy it is to place figure/text
> >> wherever you want in Keynote.
> >> In ConTeXt, you cannot achieve that.
> >
> > Sure you can. Use a background layer, and then you can place the text
> > whereever you want. Not as easy as in Keynote or powerpoint, but it can be
> > done.
>

> achieve the "easiness" I mean.
> positioning/adjusting graphics/text using a mouse is much easier than
> do that with keyboard,

no

> and one should compile/adjust xs and ys many times in order to get the
> right result.

not many, max three times : too low/high, too high/low, and then right ;-)

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-30  6:01         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2009-04-30  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:21:30AM +0800, Yue Wang napisa&#322;(a):
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> you can find that on http://modules.contextgarden.net/
> >>
> >> but anyway, you won't know how easy it is to place figure/text
> >> wherever you want in Keynote.
> >> In ConTeXt, you cannot achieve that.
> >
> > Sure you can. Use a background layer, and then you can place the text
> > whereever you want. Not as easy as in Keynote or powerpoint, but it can be
> > done.
>

> achieve the "easiness" I mean.
> positioning/adjusting graphics/text using a mouse is much easier than
> do that with keyboard,
> and one should compile/adjust xs and ys many times in order to get the
> right result.

Well, using the keyboard and not the mouse is IMHO one of the TeX (and
LateX, and ConTeXt, and METAPOST, and METAFUN, and tikz) advantages: I
may have repeatable (and uniform throughout the document) results
without having to put a (physical) ruler onto my monitor;)...

My experience shows that the best way to prepare a complicated document,
and especially one containing complicated mathematics/graphics/tables,
is to:
1. think about it
2. sketch it on a piece of paper
3. think a bit more
4. write down the important coordinates etc.
5. type into the computer what I have done in part 4.

This way you don't really have to adjust it too many times (maybe twice
or thrice).

> not to say how to create beautiful 2d/3d charts and tables,
> make simple drawings,

metafun or tikz

@ 2009-04-30  2:21       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-30  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-04-29 18:13   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-29 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

> Let me start with a quote:
> "After using ConTeXt for a while, many users begin to think about producing
> their presentations with it, too. ConTeXt is ideally suited for this task. "
>
> In fact, I hate transitions :) And I don't need any animations. I just want
> professionally-looking pdf pages with rich image stuff to assist the speaker,
> and I believe  that Context is well suitable for this.
>
> Where I can get simpleslides? I want to give them a try, and see what can be
> improved.

http://modules.contextgarden.net/simpleslides.

See
http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides/doc/context/third/simple-slides/
for documentation and examples.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thomas, can you add a link to the manual on the modules page?

Aditya

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-29 18:05     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-04-29 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you can find that on http://modules.contextgarden.net/
>
> but anyway, you won't know how easy it is to place figure/text
> wherever you want in Keynote.
> In ConTeXt, you cannot achieve that.

I don't understand your sentence
"In ConTeXt, you cannot achieve that."

>From wiki
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers

*Layers* are ConTeXt's mechanism for absolute positioning of elements and
other advanced techniques like switching elements on and off.

Maybe  have I missed the point ?
--
luigi

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-29 16:56     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-04-29 16:44   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-29 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

you can find that on http://modules.contextgarden.net/

but anyway, you won't know how easy it is to place figure/text
wherever you want in Keynote.
In ConTeXt, you cannot achieve that.

Yue Wang

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
<yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me start with a quote:
> "After using ConTeXt for a while, many users begin to think about producing
> their presentations with it, too. ConTeXt is ideally suited for this task. "
>
> In fact, I hate transitions :) And I don't need any animations. I just want
> professionally-looking pdf pages with rich image stuff to assist the
> speaker, and I believe  that Context is well suitable for this.
>
> Where I can get simpleslides? I want to give them a try, and see what can be
> improved.
>
> I did not find simpleslides on the wiki, but instead found
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Presentations . Is it up-to date?
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Sample_documents contains good example of
> presentation by Brooks. IMHO, it beats any static PowerPoint presentation.
>
> Vyatcheslav

* presentation module
       [not found] <mailman.501.1241019812.3589.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-04-29 16:08 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-04-29 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-04-29 13:05       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-29 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> well, at this point why not beamer of latex ?

Umm... You are good at telling jokes:)

why not try slideshow of PLT Scheme?

#lang slideshow

(slide
 #:title "How to Say Hello"
 (t "Hello World!"))

> --
> luigi

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-29 12:56       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-04-29 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.04.2009 um 13:32 schrieb luigi scarso:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you'd better switch to powerpoint or keynote, as they're more
>> powerful
>> (easy to build fancy slides, and better transitions).
>>
>> Yue Wang
>
> well, at this point why not beamer of latex ?

Jehova :)

Wolfgang

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-29 11:32     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-04-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-04-29 11:19   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-04-29 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

you'd better switch to powerpoint or keynote, as they're more powerful
(easy to build fancy slides, and better transitions).

Yue Wang

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
<yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> What module can you suggest to create promo presentation?
>
> Best,
> Vyatcheslav

* Re: presentation module
@ 2009-04-29 10:26   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-04-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.04.2009 um 11:59 schrieb Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky:

> Hello everybody,
>
> What module can you suggest to create promo presentation?

There is only one module for presentation, simpleslides (was
taspresent),
Hans use styles for his presentation which are not modules :)

Wolfgang

* presentation module
       [not found] <mailman.492.1240993460.3589.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-04-29  9:59 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-04-29  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2007-07-21  9:59   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-07-21  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier,

thanks so much! This helps enormously -- I had a few reports that
these assignments were troublesome, but couldn't reproduce them on my
system, so I'm very grateful you provide a solution! (Note to self:
will have to ask Taco why this works on some systems but not on
others.) I'll upload a new and (I hope) much improved version this
weekend!

Best

Thomas

On Jul 21, 2007, at 11:10 AM, olivier Turlier wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
> I've played with your presentation module and fond it nice to see.
> In order to have it working on my system, I've "adapted" t-
> taspresent.tex
> to my system needs (ubuntu + sanjoy's texlive repository = context
> version:2007.04.17) :
> line 169 : commented \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> line 554 : changed from a = 2*NOfPages-1 ; to numeric a ; a =
> 2*NOfPages-1 ;
> line 555 : changed from c = PaperHeight/a ; to numeric c; c =
> PaperHeight/a ;
>
> HTH. Thanks for providing us both nice model and well commented
> source.

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-07-21  9:10 ` olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2007-07-21  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:35:04 +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have played around a bit and prepared a module to produce
> presentations with ConTeXt. It is inspired (of course) by Hans's
> work, but provides less frills and an easier interface; I hope it is
> especially suited for academic presentations. Before I actually
> unleash it on the unsuspecting masses, I would be grateful if
> somebody could test it. It comes with a demo file and some
> documentation, so all you have to do is run it through ConTeXt; I
> want to make sure that it'll work on other installations than mine.
> If you're interested, drop me a line, and I'll send it to you (it's
> just a zip file of 233 k).
>
> All best

Hi Thomas,
I've played with your presentation module and fond it nice to see.
In order to have it working on my system, I've "adapted" t-taspresent.tex
to my system needs (ubuntu + sanjoy's texlive repository = context
version:2007.04.17) :
line 169 : commented \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
line 554 : changed from a = 2*NOfPages-1 ; to numeric a ; a = 2*NOfPages-1 ;
line 555 : changed from c = PaperHeight/a ; to numeric c; c =
PaperHeight/a ;

HTH. Thanks for providing us both nice model and well commented source.

--
Olivier TURLIER
CRP La Rouguière
101 Bd des Libérateurs
13367 MARSEILLE CEDEX 11
tel : (33) 04 91 18 56 00

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-07-17 12:07   ` fdu.xiaojf
From: fdu.xiaojf @ 2007-07-17 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saji Hameed wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I would like to try your module. My mail is saji@apcc21.net.
>
> saji

And so do I :)

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-07-16 13:49   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-07-16 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sure, here comes!  Good luck

Thomas

[-- Attachment #2: presentationmodule.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 228327 bytes --]

On Jul 16, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Saji Hameed wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I would like to try your module. My mail is saji@apcc21.net.
>
> saji

* Re: presentation module
@ 2007-07-16 13:45 ` Saji Hameed
From: Saji Hameed @ 2007-07-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 16, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have played around a bit and prepared a module to produce
> presentations with ConTeXt. It is inspired (of course) by Hans's
> work, but provides less frills and an easier interface; I hope it is
> especially suited for academic presentations. Before I actually
> unleash it on the unsuspecting masses, I would be grateful if
> somebody could test it. It comes with a demo file and some
> documentation, so all you have to do is run it through ConTeXt; I
> want to make sure that it'll work on other installations than mine.
> If you're interested, drop me a line, and I'll send it to you (it's
> just a zip file of 233 k).
>
> All best
>
> Thomas
> ntg-context