* Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-06 23:06 cohsb
From: cohsb @ 2003-01-06 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

after trying to solve the problem myself for several hours, I now seek your
help. I'm trying to typeset a document in Times-Roman, the plain one. I did
that with Context 2 years ago just by saying \setupbodyfont[pos], if I
remember right. But this time, it does not work. See the the output below.
Interestingly, I get the same result both on MikTeX and on SuSE Linux 8.1.

- pdftex.cfg is in place and contains a reference to pdftex.map
- pdftex.map is in place and contains Times-Roman and associated fonts, but
I can't see if this file is sourced
- the big document I'll produce is typeset correctly using Computer Modern
fonts
- the test document (just one line, with no environment except the
setupbodyfond command) makes trouble as well
- the Times-Roman font as well as others work correctly in TeX and LaTeX

I'd really be happy if someone has an idea.

Many thanks in advance, Cheers, Chris.

Output (Linux box)
:
~/InstInvUK/cvs/InstInvUK> texexec InstInvGBPaper

 TeXExec 2.6 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : InstInvGBPaper
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1 (Web2C
7.3.7)
entering extended mode
(./InstInvGBPaper.tex{/var/lib/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.1.24  fmt: 2003.1.6  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-uk-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : InstInvGBPaper.top loaded
(./InstInvGBPaper.top) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo)
(./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo)
(./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo)
(./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo)
pdftex         : needs map file: pdftex.map
(./InstInvGBPaper.tuo) (./InstInvGBPaper.tuo)
systems        : begin file InstInvGBPaper at line 5
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-pre.tex
typescript     : [serif] [times] [name,default]
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
typescript     : [sans] [helvetica] [name,default]
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
typescript     : [mono] [courier] [name,default]
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
typescript     : [serif,sans,mono] [default] [size]
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
typescript     : [map] [default] []
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-euler.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-logo.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-micropress-informal.map
) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex))kpathsea: Running mktextfm
Times-Roman
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map source abbreviation T for
Times-Roman.
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
/usr/share/texmf/fontname/special.map?
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Times-Roman
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.7)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  Times-Roman
! I can't find file `Times-Roman'.
<*> ...our; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Times-Roman

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...our; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Times-Roman

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Times-Roman' failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \*12ptrmtf*=Times-Roman at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not
fo
und.
\lastfontname ->Times-Roman at \scaledfont

\donoparsefontspec ... #1\endcsname \lastfontname
                                                  \relax \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#2}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \doresetrelativefontsize
\...

\fontstrategy ...ame #1\csname #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont
\fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi
\ifskipfontchar...
l.6 \setupbodyfont[pos]

* Re: Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-07 17:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-07 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:06 AM 1/7/2003 +0100, cohsb@gmx.de wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>after trying to solve the problem myself for several hours, I now seek your
>help. I'm trying to typeset a document in Times-Roman, the plain one. I did
>that with Context 2 years ago just by saying \setupbodyfont[pos], if I
>remember right. But this time, it does not work. See the the output below.
>Interestingly, I get the same result both on MikTeX and on SuSE Linux 8.1.
>
>- pdftex.cfg is in place and contains a reference to pdftex.map
>- pdftex.map is in place and contains Times-Roman and associated fonts, but
>I can't see if this file is sourced
>- the big document I'll produce is typeset correctly using Computer Modern
>fonts
>- the test document (just one line, with no environment except the
>setupbodyfond command) makes trouble as well
>- the Times-Roman font as well as others work correctly in TeX and LaTeX

can you try

   \usetypescript[berry][ec]

before setting the font? or something similiar?

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-07 23:24   ` cohsb
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: cohsb @ 2003-01-07 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

first, thanks for the quick and "direct" help. Unforunately, the suggestion
does not solve the problem. The only change is that the usage of the berry
typescript is mentioned at one line in the log output.

It seems that TeX is not able to substitute the "Times-Roman" with the
technical name... It tried a bit and am sure now that pdftex takes the correct
config and mapping file.

Cheers, Chris.

@ 2003-01-08  1:24     ` Larry Stamm
From: Larry Stamm @ 2003-01-08  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

cohsb  <cohsb@gmx.de> writes:

     > Hi all, first, thanks for the quick and "direct"
     > help. Unforunately, the suggestion does not solve the
     > problem. The only change is that the usage of the berry
     > typescript is mentioned at one line in the log output.

     > It seems that TeX is not able to substitute the "Times-Roman"
     > with the technical name... It tried a bit and am sure now that
     > pdftex takes the correct config and mapping file.

Check to see if you have the typescript files present on your system.  I
ran into similar problems recently after upgrading my ConTeXt
installation, and it seemed to be due to lack of the required typescript
files.  I solved it by running texfont on all my postscript
fonts to create the typescripts.  I might have been able to fix it
more simply, but got tired of fiddling.

Check the manuals mtexfont.pdf and mfont.pdf for more detailed
information.  Also Bill McClain has a good explanation on his website
which helped me a lot; unfortunately I can't find the URL right now.
--
Larry Stamm
http://www.larrystamm.com

* Re: Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-08  5:08     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-01-08  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

cohsb@gmx.de writes:

> first, thanks for the quick and "direct" help. Unforunately, the suggestion
> does not solve the problem. The only change is that the usage of the berry
> typescript is mentioned at one line in the log output.
>
> It seems that TeX is not able to substitute the "Times-Roman" with the
> technical name... It tried a bit and am sure now that pdftex takes the correct
> config and mapping file.

Do you have this in cont-sys.tex (or at the top of your document maybe)?

\setupencoding[default=8r] % or EC, if you prefer
\usetypescript[berry][\defaultencoding]

--
Live long and prosper,

Berend de Boer

* Re: Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-08  8:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-08  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:24 AM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>first, thanks for the quick and "direct" help. Unforunately, the suggestion
>does not solve the problem. The only change is that the usage of the berry
>typescript is mentioned at one line in the log output.
>
>It seems that TeX is not able to substitute the "Times-Roman" with the
>technical name... It tried a bit and am sure now that pdftex takes the correct
>config and mapping file.

If you look into (grep over) the type-* files, you'll notice that
Times-Roman is mapped into some other name (either a berry one, or a
texfont one)

What happens if you say:

\usetypescript [berry] [ec]
\usetypescript [postscript ][ec]
\setupbodyfont [postscript]

@ 2003-01-08 12:07       ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-01-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer
> cohsb@gmx.de writes:

> > It seems that TeX is not able to substitute the "Times-Roman" with
> > the technical name... It tried a bit and am sure now that pdftex
> > takes the correct config and mapping file.

> Do you have this in cont-sys.tex (or at the top of your document maybe)?

> \setupencoding[default=8r] % or EC, if you prefer
> \usetypescript[berry][\defaultencoding]

While your poking around with cont-sys.tex (and if you've never poked
around with cont-sys.tex you can start by renaming the file
cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex), you'll find in that file a line that
is commented out:

   %\autoloadmapfiletrue

Uncomment that line, cross your fingers, and if you have dumb luck
like me, then everything will just work.

* Re: Re: Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-08 19:21           ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-01-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 23:46, Nigel King wrote:
> Chris,
> From the description you may not have installed the times roman
> fonts. You need to run the following command
>
>  texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat
>
> Watch carefully for success on each command. My Mac OSX needs to be
> run under root ie sudo.
>
> I think there are still some bugs in the data file 'type-tmf.dat' but
> times works OK.

OK two more questions:
When one specifies "pos" or even Postscript how does Context know just
which PostScript font is wanted?

And as a trailer to the above, how would one use two PostScript fonts
in the same document? I can do it with plain TeX commands of course,
but I am trying hard to get true religion :-)
--

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

* Re: Re: Font problem with ConTeXt
@ 2003-01-08 23:46         ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-01-08 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris,
From the description you may not have installed the times roman fonts. You

@ 2003-01-10 23:52             ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-01-10 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> OK two more questions:
> When one specifies "pos" or even Postscript how does Context know just
> which PostScript font is wanted?
Pos simply defines three postscript fonts, times helvetica and courier.
These are selected with \rm \ss and \tt even maths revert to computer
modern.
--
Nigel